DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Current RTH route will pass a no-fly zone. Pay attention to the aircraft's position to avoid RTH failure.

carter_james

Reactions
Problem? I recently purchased the drone and have flown it mostly in a park where I receive this error multiple times during every flight. I never fly further than 25ft from the home point, and am not anywhere near a NFZ. My RTH height is set at 164ft, well below the altitude zone height of 120m(392ft). This error has been posted multiple times on different drone forums but always includes some sort of compass / GPS /Battery error prior to receiving the error. None of the threads provide any kind of answer either.

Current RTH route will pass a No-Fly zone
Current RTH route will pass a No-Fly Zone

You can see from my log however that I receive this warning multiple times with no additional errors. I also never drop below 10 satellites. Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated.
Flight Log

Was unit in a crash? No, but I did buy it used. Previous owner claimed it was rarely flown.

What have you tried so far? Tried lowering my RTH altitude and flying on multiple days. I'll have to fly at a different location to see if it occurs again, but I would like to continue to fly in the park as it is right next to my work.

What device are you using ( iphone , ipad, Samsung , etc)? Samsung s7 edge

What firmware are you running ( aircraft, remote controller)? newest for both (I'll clarify when I get home)

What Go app version are you using? Newest

Additional Pictures: Here you can see I receive the error 4ft off the ground, only 17ft away from home.

2018-12-06 15_48_45-Window.png

Last edited:
Does it show an accurate location on the map?

Per the FAA Chicago TCA chart, you are within O'Hare's Terminal Control Area, however, at that location, the TCA does not start until 3000' MSL which is about 2400' above the park where you are flying in, so that should not be an issue. At least I am assuming that you don't have the RTH altitude set that high.

There is a DJI No Fly Zone over the Field Museum, Aquarium and Soldier Field Campus but it does not extend to the park at Adams and Peoria St. where you fly.

You actually are also near some heliports. They are shown in yellow in the image. But even with that, it shouldn't be a problem. Per the FAA:

"Q: I live near a heliport. Can I fly near it?

A: Yes. But, if you are within five miles of it, you can fly only if it is safe to do so, you do not interfere with manned aircraft, you see and avoid manned aircraft at all times, and you have notified the operator of the heliport and resolved any safety concerns."

You should be notifying the heliport operator, But at the altitude you are flying that is not going to be an issue either.

So the only thing I can think of is a glitch in DJI's software falsely reporting that you would be in an NFZ on RTH
.Image-1.jpg

You wouldn't be under a blue runway glide slope on DJI's map would you?
That seems to be grounding or asserting altitude limits for many of us.

Per the FAA Chicago TCA chart, you are within O'Hare's Terminal Control Area, however, at that location, the TCA does not start until 3000' MSL which is about 2400' above the park where you are flying in, so that should not be an issue. At least I am assuming that you don't have the RTH altitude set that high.

There is a DJI No Fly Zone over the Field Museum, Aquarium and Soldier Field Campus but it does not extend to the park at Adams and Peoria St. where you fly.

You actually are also near some heliports. They are shown in yellow in the image. But even with that, it shouldn't be a problem. Per the FAA:

"Q: I live near a heliport. Can I fly near it?

A: Yes. But, if you are within five miles of it, you can fly only if it is safe to do so, you do not interfere with manned aircraft, you see and avoid manned aircraft at all times, and you have notified the operator of the heliport and resolved any safety concerns."

You should be notifying the heliport operator, But at the altitude you are flying that is not going to be an issue either.

So the only thing I can think of is a glitch in DJI's software falsely reporting that you would be in an NFZ on RTH

So I've flown in a couple other parks with no problem. Def seems like a bug. Thanks for this research though i really appreciate it.

You wouldn't be under a blue runway glide slope on DJI's map would you?
That seems to be grounding or asserting altitude limits for many of us.

Potentially, here's my map. I'm under some triangle. The NFZ is in two days for bears/pack. go pack

Screenshot_20181214-174610.jpg

Last edited:
I found out you can unlock blue zones. You do need internet and you do need to verify your DJI account by CC or SMS.
You'll get the prompts when you try to launch.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erroos