DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Current thoughts for Istanbul, Turkey?

zocalo

Reactions
Later this year I'm going to be flying through Istanbul (via the new airport that replaced Ataturk) to the Caucuses but not going landside, then having a few days layover there on the way back, again all via the new airport. I'm not too fussed about actually flying in Istanbul, although I gather it's possible in some areas so might be nice to have the option of a few non-commercial flights, but would like to take my M2P with me for the rest of the trip. UAVCoach seems to imply that Turkey's flight regulations are fairly standard but that I need to fill in a "Form-336" (which doesn't seem to exist on the linked page) before I bring my drone into the country. Also, I'm rather unclear on pilot registration - this appears to be required, but only Turkish citizens appear to be able to register?

Does anyone here have any experience with this process, pointers to pages that are in English, etc. as I'm aware there's both recent footage shot by non-Turks knocking around and tales of drones being seized on entering the country, so I'm assuming it's possible if you have the correct paperwork in hand? Failing that, are there any options for simply leaving the drone airside and picking it up again on my way out of the country?

Later this year I'm going to be flying through Istanbul (via the new airport that replaced Ataturk) to the Caucuses but not going landside, then having a few days layover there on the way back, again all via the new airport. I'm not too fussed about actually flying in Istanbul, although I gather it's possible in some areas so might be nice to have the option of a few non-commercial flights, but would like to take my M2P with me for the rest of the trip. UAVCoach seems to imply that Turkey's flight regulations are fairly standard but that I need to fill in a "Form-336" (which doesn't seem to exist on the linked page) before I bring my drone into the country. Also, I'm rather unclear on pilot registration - this appears to be required, but only Turkish citizens appear to be able to register?

Does anyone here have any experience with this process, pointers to pages that are in English, etc. as I'm aware there's both recent footage shot by non-Turks knocking around and tales of drones being seized on entering the country, so I'm assuming it's possible if you have the correct paperwork in hand? Failing that, are there any options for simply leaving the drone airside and picking it up again on my way out of the country?

might be a late reply but someone else may benefit in the future.

I took my Drone there without issues and flew all over the country.

Also I got lucky because I always tend to fly from a place with nobody around to avoid distractions (even in the US). However I found out after I returned from Turkey
that they would have confiscated my drone and charge me a hefty fine. You will get your drone back at the airport.

Personally fly at your own risk. If you fly outside cities in natural areas those are usual areas that are allowed in Turkey and nobody will bother you there. However, flying in cities is risky even if you are Turkish and registered because it is illegal.

Was flying in Turkey worth the risk? Absolutely. Flying in the US is never the same anymore.

Check out my videos on youtube, I have more than 20 hours of footage to edit in the future from Turkey!

Yeah, I'd figured it was likely to be a roll of the dice on having it held at the airport but took the chance and didn't have any problems with bringing it in as no one even asked to look inside my camera bag and I sailed through to where my hotel transfer was waiting. Obviously YMMV on this because they must presumably have a quota of random inspections they need to do.

As it turns out I didn't leave the city (kinda expected this), so even if I'd had a permit I was going to be severely restricted in where I could legally fly, but in any event it was far too windy over the Bosphorus and Horn for flights anyway. For a longer stay I'd probably pursue getting a permit a bit more, but I don't think there would be much risk in chancing it as long as you didn't have any mishaps or fly somewhere stupid if you decided to avoid the red tape entirely.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juanfraf