DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Custom Camera settings for stills?

Citizen Flier

Reactions
I use a variety of custom settings w my DSLR. But I haven't fully optimized the GO 4 App camera settings for the M2P. I shoot primarily stills, but usually capture some 4k video also.

Wondering about some of the Camera Settings options like:
- Lock Gimbal When Capture - not sure which works best here. I typically rotate the gimbal for a variety of angled shots.
- Style settings? I always shoot raw & edit color, detail etc. in post. But what about the Landscape option -is that a color/contrast boost?
- Long Exposure Preview - can this be left on, or does it conflict with standard exposures? ONLY enable for long exp?
- Other custom settings or workarounds? (I capture natural landscapes almost exclusively, with the occasional cityscape, or dusk vehicle traffic roadways)

Any recommendations for pro level youtube tut's on this? Some are excellent, but I have viewed torahs that are either obsolete, or have inaccuracies. I get the best advice on this forum!
Thanks!

Greetings Citizen!
  • Lock Gimbal When Capture: I've tested this. There's no reason to turn this off unless you are intentionally looking to get heavy motion blur during aircraft movement. All this feature does is to attempt lock the gimbal pointing to the place it was pointed when you pressed the shutter. It is intended to help keep your images sharp, especially when you can't use higher shutter-speeds to freeze things.
  • Landscape style setting: first I've heard of it and I don't see it in the manual (which is not surprising, as DJI adds and changes things without documenting them). I'll look for it next time I fire the bird up.
  • Long Exposure Preview - Ditto. Are you sure you don't mean over-exposure preview (zebra stripes)?
Hopefully someone will come along and clarify on those last two.

Chris

I use a variety of custom settings w my DSLR. But I haven't fully optimized the GO 4 App camera settings for the M2P. I shoot primarily stills, but usually capture some 4k video also.

- Lock Gimbal When Capture - not sure which works best here. I typically rotate the gimbal for a variety of angled shots.
- Style settings? I always shoot raw & edit color, detail etc. in post. But what about the Landscape option -is that a color/contrast boost?
- Long Exposure Preview - can this be left on, or does it conflict with standard exposures? ONLY enable for long exp?
- Other custom settings or workarounds? (I capture natural landscapes almost exclusively, with the occasional cityscape, or dusk vehicle traffic roadways)

Any recommendations for pro level youtube tut's on this? Some are excellent, but I have viewed torahs that are either obsolete, or have inaccuracies. I get the best advice on this forum!
Thanks!
Lots of the settings are just personal preference. I like my style settings at 0,-2,0

Now the most important setting to to have is the to turn on the histogram to get a proper exposure. Just the nature on aerial photography makes this especially important. More often with aerial photography than other types of photography you will have a back lit subject making the averaged EV value from the camera less useful. Also we tend to fly in brighter non-shaded conditions where we need to not only see the live view for taken photos but also to navigate so we tend to turn our display’s brightness up higher than we would with other types of photography making the live view less useful for judging exposure.

Long exposure preview shows you the picture you have just taken for a couple seconds before going back to the live view. This comes in handy mostly when your shutter speed is longer than the shutter speed used to display the live view because the live view can only simulate the effect of a longer exposure by boosting the the image coming to the live view. Otherwise your shots will typically closely resemble the live view making this feature less useful but not useless.

Reactions: Citizen Flier

Thanks!

Those style Settings only apply to JPEG‘s. If you’re shooting raw no worries. You’re DSLR has them too but if you’re shooting Raw I’m sure you ignore them.

Those style Settings only apply to JPEG‘s. If you’re shooting raw no worries. You’re DSLR has them too but if you’re shooting Raw I’m sure you ignore them.
Hmmm...I’m not sure about this. This is a good question though. Normally I think you’d be correct but DJI DNGs come with an embedded camera profile. I think the style settings are baked into this profile but I’m not sure

Hmmm...I’m not sure about this. This is a good question though. Normally I think you’d be correct but DJI DNGs come with an embedded camera profile. I think the style settings are baked into this profile but I’m not sure
Most cameras put the settings into the Raw file but since you’re going to post it anyway it may or may not be acted upon.

In the case of Jpegs it is applied to the image.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom