DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Custom Case Ideas

Hegemone

Reactions
Hi folks. I made myself a custom case for my mavic pro 2 because I just couldn't find what I wanted.

I wanted a quick, unpack case that could hold the drone props on and ready to fly. I wanted 3 batteries, fstoplabs 3 batt charger, remote with stems on, and various spaces for stuff and cables. This lightroom gallery shows what I ended up with and my revision to make it more flexible.
The foam is:
PE foam, think pool noodle, with blue top and middle layers (lack, red, blue, yellow were options). No case top foam because I used the stuff already in the case. It was made in the USA.

The case is:
  • IP65 Rated- watertight and dustproof
  • Strong, secure, easy-open latches
  • Adjustable pressure relief valve equalizes pressure for easy opening
  • Pre-drilled for two padlocks
  • Super strong reinforced polypropylene construction
  • Interior dimensions: 17-7/8 in. x 12-7/8 in. x 6-1/8 in.
What do you folks think. I would love to hear your honest thoughts on what I made and my thoughts on revision. What would you do differently or suggest?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Last edited:
Looks very professional! I like the layout! Next suggestion would be a smaller case for the mavic folded.

I use something a bit more compact, a Smatree case THIS. Works great. I don't have the shop to make the foam like you did.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Perhaps a subject for a new thread, but foam can be shaped in a number of ways, including a hot knife (hot wire for slicing large dimensions), or more commonly in the shop, mechanical tools.

Mechanical tools such as an Universal Multi-Tool, electric kitchen knife, serrated bread knife, sharp insulation knife, Dremel with sanding drum or grinding stone, and drill with hole saw, to name a few, work well. Most of the work is done room temperature, but sanding or abrasive shaping is often much easier if the foam is placed in the freezer for a hour or two before having at it. Note that freezing can make some foams brittle.

Harbor Freight case? How did you cut the foam?
It's laser cut in layers and assembled. Yes the Harbor Freight case. The pick foam it comes with was too fragile for me. Kept pulling apart on use.

Looks very professional! I like the layout! Next suggestion would be a smaller case for the mavic folded.

I use something a bit more compact, a Smatree case THIS. Works great. I don't have the shop to make the foam like you did.
Yes there are lots of great cases for folded. I was very much looking to cut the set-up time. I still have a RAICE case from Amazon that is about 2/3 the size and much lighter. Much better when I need compact.

The revised version in the mock ups takes care of a couple compartments that were very specific and less useful if things changed. At one point the fstoplabs charger slot was fully unclosed which was pointless and ate up a lot of usable space for misc. Stuff like moment anamorphic ND filters [emoji16].

Thanks for your input.

Perhaps a subject for a new thread, but foam can be shaped in a number of ways, including a hot knife (hot wire for slicing large dimensions), or more commonly in the shop, mechanical tools.

Mechanical tools such as an Universal Multi-Tool, electric kitchen knife, serrated bread knife, sharp insulation knife, Dremel with sanding drum or grinding stone, and drill with hole saw, to name a few, work well. Most of the work is done room temperature, but sanding or abrasive shaping is often much easier if the foam is placed in the freezer for a hour or two before having at it. Note that freezing can make some foams brittle.
All good tips. I always wanted to build a hot knife. There are some good Instructables on the subject. Not enough time in the day.

Having just crammed my M2P into the Fly More bag, after a morning of flying with local forum members, I can really appreciate the safe feeling of placing an unfolded unit into the case...protecting the props.

OP (@Hegemone): Nice job in making that Harbor Freight case look so professional!

Hi folks. I made myself a custom case for my mavic pro 2 because I just couldn't find what I wanted.

I wanted a quick, unpack case that could hold the drone props on and ready to fly. I wanted 3 batteries, fstoplabs 3 batt charger, remote with stems on, and various spaces for stuff and cables. This lightroom gallery shows what I ended up with and my revision to make it more flexible.
The foam is:
PE foam, think pool noodle, with blue top and middle layers (lack, red, blue, yellow were options). No case top foam because I used the stuff already in the case. It was made in the USA.

The case is:
What do you folks think. I would love to hear your honest thoughts on what I made and my thoughts on revision. What would you do differently or suggest?

Very nice work! I like the legs unfolded.

The foam is:

The case is:

That was a phenomenal jop well done.

We designed the Lunar Pad for those that wanted to fly the drone quickly right from the trunk of the car with an immediate take off ready position , great for search and rescues.

Its the quick run and gun setup.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain
Coal

Screenshot 02-16-2020 17.02.12.png

Yeah I was around when your media push was htting the forums hard. Evey post I saw was mentioning it. Same deal with the wet suits. I saw your product and still wanted something different at a more reasonable price. Lately it seems like the most active members of the forums are vendors doing self promotion.

I needed something that protected the drone but was still quicker for me so I went hard shell. I also don't have that much trunk space in my everyday driver.

Thanks for the compliment and product placement.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Yeah I was around when your media push was htting the forums hard. Evey post I saw was mentioning it. Same deal with the wet suits. I saw your product and still wanted something different at a more reasonable price. Lately it seems like the most active members of the forums are vendors doing self promotion.

I needed something that protected the drone but was still quicker for me so I went hard shell. I also don't have that much trunk space in my everyday driver.

Thanks for the compliment and product placement.

Sorry I was not aware you were thinking of marketing this however , I can tell you that there will be great interest in the product.

I would be glad to recommend it to all our clients that were looking for something much more dynamic and travel worthy.

Coal

No worries. It just read like marketing to me. I am not sure at this point if I am even going to go that route. It works well for me and it's a fun idea to mess around with. I was attempting to do market research and get idea potential price points earlier but was told clearly that I had to be a vendor if there was even a hint I could sell something like that and posts were moderated. I guess it just rubbed me the wrong way and you stood in the line of that frustration. I think your products and site look solid and good. Thanks for responding.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Off topic, but related. Marketing things like this is a tough go. Prior art, so you can't get a utility patent (the strongest kind), only a design patent, if that . . . and a competitor has only to change the design a bit to get a competing product on the market.

Disclaimer: I'm not a patent attorney, but just a poor tool inventor, and that as a side line . . . though royalties on just one patented tool paid for my airplanes - so no complaints.

I prefer the Smatree soft zippered case, as the shoulder strap comes in handy, and it doesn't attract nearly as much attention, and you easily continue to wear it when flying, and it offers just as much interior protection. No problems in over a year!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyscansurveys