DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Custom drone graphics wrap

Reactions
G'day to all!

I hope this email finds you all well. To make things clear, I am not here to promote anything.I just wish to hear from you experts here.

Ok, I don't even know if this is the appropriate thread to post a question regarding the subject matter. Board Admin/Moderators please pardon my ignorance and move/delete my post if deemed inappropriate.

Just last week, a guy came by my printing shop(I wasn't around) and left a Phantom 3 and a note with my designer. This is what happened...when I got back, I was surprised to see the drone sitting at the front reception. First, I thought it was a gift from my wife as I have always wanted to get one. But it turned out otherwise.

So this guy wanted a custom print/wrap for his drone. Ok, we operate a large format print shop dealing with vehicle/fleet graphics, wall art, UV printing, etc. We have never gotten such request but hey...I thought why not? So my designer painstakingly did the outline/template and designed the artwork according to his request. And it was printed on premium cast and overlaminate. The result was pretty stunning I must say. He is very pleased with the result. I wished I could post some photos but he holds the copyrights. Sorry about that.

It just surprised me there's interest in drone graphics. While such one-off print jobs don't equate to the usual jobs we do, we are always exploring interesting projects. Perhaps, I should get in touch with the local club or something.

Cheers!
Sebastian

G'day to all!

I hope this email finds you all well. To make things clear, I am not here to promote anything.I just wish to hear from you experts here.

Ok, I don't even know if this is the appropriate thread to post a question regarding the subject matter. Board Admin/Moderators please pardon my ignorance and move/delete my post if deemed inappropriate.

Just last week, a guy came by my printing shop(I wasn't around) and left a Phantom 3 and a note with my designer. This is what happened...when I got back, I was surprised to see the drone sitting at the front reception. First, I thought it was a gift from my wife as I have always wanted to get one. But it turned out otherwise.

So this guy wanted a custom print/wrap for his drone. Ok, we operate a large format print shop dealing with vehicle/fleet graphics, wall art, UV printing, etc. We have never gotten such request but hey...I thought why not? So my designer painstakingly did the outline/template and designed the artwork according to his request. And it was printed on premium cast and overlaminate. The result was pretty stunning I must say. He is very pleased with the result. I wished I could post some photos but he holds the copyrights. Sorry about that.

It just surprised me there's interest in drone graphics. While such one-off print jobs don't equate to the usual jobs we do, we are always exploring interesting projects. Perhaps, I should get in touch with the local club or something.

Cheers!
Sebastian
You'd find there's a few already offering skins for the Mavic Pro, I'm one looking at skins at present in part to customise it, in part to try and improve its visibility so I would say the demand was there, probably more so for the Mavic Pro, mavic air, no doubt many racing drones but I'm not familiar with them. Do you have a website?

You'd find there's a few already offering skins for the Mavic Pro, I'm one looking at skins at present in part to customise it, in part to try and improve its visibility so I would say the demand was there, probably more so for the Mavic Pro, mavic air, no doubt many racing drones but I'm not familiar with them. Do you have a website?

Hi, just sent you a PM. Cheers!

You can even find the files to print your own decals on plotters and even the cri-cut machine. They're some floating around this forum. I bought decals from decal girl.

Attachments

• 9EBBA1C0-07E8-4DB3-BABF-E28F9F8180D5.jpeg
    9EBBA1C0-07E8-4DB3-BABF-E28F9F8180D5.jpeg
    981 KB · Views: 136
  • 7C555853-73C8-4D94-9F7A-20EBFB23685C.jpeg
    7C555853-73C8-4D94-9F7A-20EBFB23685C.jpeg
    957.7 KB · Views: 123
  • 043732F2-060A-4BC0-89AA-E1875DFC45DC.jpeg
    043732F2-060A-4BC0-89AA-E1875DFC45DC.jpeg
    873.6 KB · Views: 123
Reactions: FL1H1
You can even find the files to print your own decals on plotters and even the cri-cut machine. They're some floating around this forum. I bought decals from decal girl.

That's a very good looking drone you have there. I have all the necessary equipment and media to do this. Perhaps I will run this as a side project apart from my bread and butter business.

That's a very good looking drone you have there. I have all the necessary equipment and media to do this. Perhaps I will run this as a side project apart from my bread and butter business.
Hook up with the admins on this site and others to be a verified vendor. There's lots of people putting these skins on drones. Heck if you have better price, great fitment and lots of choices I'd buy from you

Hook up with the admins on this site and others to be a verified vendor. There's lots of people putting these skins on drones. Heck if you have better price, great fitment and lots of choices I'd buy from you

Hi Mavic,
Thanks for the heads up. I had earlier sent an email to the Admin regarding signing up as a vendor. Nothing concrete yet but worth considering. I just love doing crazy projects like this, apart from my bread and butter business.

Perhaps a good enough excuse to get myself a drone..my wife's not going to like it!

Hi Mavic,
Thanks for the heads up. I had earlier sent an email to the Admin regarding signing up as a vendor. Nothing concrete yet but worth considering. I just love doing crazy projects like this, apart from my bread and butter business.

Perhaps a good enough excuse to get myself a drone..my wife's not going to like it!
Good luck! Maybe soon I'll be buying a new skin from you

Reactions: hellohuesandpixels
personally I think there cool very cool a lot of them .. BUT I always would be worried heres why. !

1. could dji say hey you had a skin / decal on the drone that we didnt give / put on / say its ok and you crashed due to signal loss ?

2. are you covering something that uses a lot of internal sensors and they heat up ?

3. when trying to remove if applied leaves a residue and you use something to take off and thus marks the drone etc ?

again just my personal opinion

personally I think there cool very cool a lot of them .. BUT I always would be worried heres why. !

1. could dji say hey you had a skin / decal on the drone that we didnt give / put on / say its ok and you crashed due to signal loss ?

2. are you covering something that uses a lot of internal sensors and they heat up ?

3. when trying to remove if applied leaves a residue and you use something to take off and thus marks the drone etc ?

Well, so long as they dont cover up the vents will be fine. Could even improve cooling use reflective light colours. Dark colours probably won't help, and the skins are designed not to cover up sensors.

Hi Irish Apple,

Good points! I have no idea whatsoever...I try to answer your queries:

1) if the vinyl has a thickness of 50 micron and only applied on top shell. Should be ok...
2) avoid the ventilation holes.
3) I use premium cast vinyl..removable without residues.

If ALL the above fail, then comes PLAN B...I have a UV-LEV printer that prints directly on the surface. That I am sure none the above would matter. Only downside is that only the flat surface gets printed.

Update: if using direct print methods, I would need the shells to work on(i.e. literally getting new shells to print on them) Cost wise is higher...so wrap is the best option.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Reactions: Irish-apple
Hi Irish Apple,

Good points! I have no idea whatsoever...I try to answer your queries:

1) if the vinyl has a thickness of 50 micron and only applied on top shell. Should be ok...
2) avoid the ventilation holes.
3) I use premium cast vinyl..removable without residues.

If ALL the above fail, then comes PLAN B...I have a UV-LEV printer that prints directly on the surface. That I am sure none the above would matter. Only downside is that only the flat surface gets printed.

Update: if using direct print methods, I would need the shells to work on(i.e. literally getting new shells to print on them) Cost wise is higher...so wrap is the best option.

Cheers!
buddy im not doubting you at all and I highly highly wish you the very very best on your adventure with this I will probably;y even get it done there well cool buddy .. your the only person ive come across here that on this topic has a plan and knows its limits which will take you a long way no doubt if you get up and started message me pal Thumbswayup

buddy im not doubting you at all and I highly highly wish you the very very best on your adventure with this I will probably;y even get it done there well cool buddy .. your the only person ive come across here that on this topic has a plan and knows its limits which will take you a long way no doubt if you get up and started message me pal Thumbswayup

I thank you for the kind words and encouragement. I am making preparations to get this project off but it may take awhile as I have my main business to manage. Keep you guys posted!

Cheers mate!

Update:

It's been a few months since I had last posted but here it is! A pre-production of the skins(partial) that we designed and printed in-house. We'll be marketing this under SQN Wraps. There's still some work we need to fine-tune before going full production. Right now we have a few designs done up. Will be making these for Mavic Air & Phantom 4 series as well. Stay tune!

38723438_296004417821680_1701114551694524416_o.jpg

20180506_165613.jpg 20180506_165621.jpg 20180506_165640.jpg 20180506_165646.jpg
Update:

It's been a few months since I had last posted but here it is! A pre-production of the skins(partial) that we designed and printed in-house. We'll be marketing this under SQN Wraps. There's still some work we need to fine-tune before going full production. Right now we have a few designs done up. Will be making these for Mavic Air & Phantom 4 series as well. Stay tune!

38723438_296004417821680_1701114551694524416_o.jpg
Looks good... for an extra charge can you print the registration numbers on the skin? You mentioned that you had a printer that will only print on a flat surface? Can you print with it on the skin in this configuration?

This is my skin:

20180506_165613.jpg 20180506_165621.jpg 20180506_165640.jpg 20180506_165646.jpg

Reactions: mad monkey
View attachment 43407 View attachment 43408 View attachment 43409 View attachment 43410
Looks good... for an extra charge can you print the registration numbers on the skin? You mentioned that you had a printer that will only print on a flat surface? Can you print with it on the skin in this configuration?

This is my skin:

View attachment 43407 View attachment 43408 View attachment 43409 View attachment 43410

Hi Cheech,

Thanks for asking. Yes, we can custom print sets with 'registration numbers' for sure - exactly how wanted them to be, as per your photos. Total costs wise, we have yet to decide but rest assured it will be affordable.

We'd also planned to have a separate custom print FAA drone registration decals at a small fee, to be included in the skin pack when requested.

I supposed you are not in a hurry yes? We are still tweaking all the artwork and layout.

Cheers!

Hi Cheech,

Thanks for asking. Yes, we can custom print sets with 'registration numbers' for sure - exactly how wanted them to be, as per your photos. Total costs wise, we have yet to decide but rest assured it will be affordable.

We'd also planned to have a separate custom print FAA drone registration decals at a small fee, to be included in the skin pack when requested.

I supposed you are not in a hurry yes? We are still tweaking all the artwork and layout.

Cheers!
I'm turning 60 this year... never in a hurry...Ha. I'm watching this post. Keep us all in the loop.

I'm turning 60 this year... never in a hurry...Ha. I'm watching this post. Keep us all in the loop.

LOL!

We have 8 designs done up for each of the Mavic Pro & Mavic Air. 16 in total for now. Just the final tweaks before we launch them.

Will offer you guys on this forum a deal...watch this space!

Cheers!

Id rather no one be able to read my registration # as I fly by!!!

This may turn out to be a profitable sideline, can't wait to see the designs and the custom options!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61