DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dams and other critical infrastructure:

Lapeer20m

Reactions
Is it legal to fly here?

It is not controlled airspace, there are no active Tfr, and it is not listed on arcgis.

8DDA5A1D-8C51-4822-A148-FD95B769D2C3.png

5E583749-0520-45F5-9CEB-46289DBB699E.png

CFEDD182-33E6-4CD5-99AB-329FFA49D735.png

There is a small locally owned dam at this park. Apparently others have been told by park rangers that sUAS are prohibited in this area because of the dam.

Is there a federal standard that prohibits uas flights over all dams and critical infrastructure?

Or just the ones limited to this document?

Search | Federal Aviation Administration - Unmanned Aircraft System

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
Is it legal to fly here?

It is not controlled airspace, there are no active Tfr, and it is not listed on arcgis.

View attachment 59150

View attachment 59149

View attachment 59148

There is a small locally owned dam at this park. Apparently others have been told by park rangers that sUAS are prohibited in this area because of the dam.

Is there a federal standard that prohibits uas flights over all dams and critical infrastructure?

Or just the ones limited to this document?

Search | Federal Aviation Administration - Unmanned Aircraft System
I don't know. What app are you using to create a flight plan?

I posted in another thread about Dams, and in that thread I posted flying around Fontana Dam...
it was very confusing at the least. Employees said OK, the 1-800 told me to talk to people at the Dam. After reading some of the posts, I realize that I probably shouldn’t have flown there. That was in another state, but I think that it’s a Federal Law?
Da— if I fly around any more Dams[emoji5].
* that Dam I was at did have a power station, and if I recall, BYF didn’t list any No-Go’s

5cccfd20f70bbaba294ded82777ca919.jpg

I’m standing next to a TVA employee on the Dam itself.

Last edited:
I posted in another thread about Dams, and in that thread I posted flying around Fontana Dam...
it was very confusing at the least. Employees said OK, the 1-800 told me to talk to people at the Dam. After reading some of the posts, I realize that I probably shouldn’t have flown there. That was in another state, but I think that it’s a Federal Law?
Da— if I fly around any more Dams[emoji5].
* that Dam I was at did have a power station, and if I recall, BYF didn’t list any No-Go’s

5cccfd20f70bbaba294ded82777ca919.jpg

I’m standing next to a TVA employee on the Dam itself.
it might be against policy to video the dam but its still a great video either way,its very informative on how a dam functions.

i could see a plasable damage to the power supple parts. but there is no way any drone (sold to the public) would even case more than a scratch to a dam.
now a home built, drone ment to carry a 1000 (or greater) pound bomb, but that would have to crash into the water. to create a pressure wave that only might do damage. watch that WW2 movies about blowing up a couple dams in germany.

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121