DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Danger Using Batteries in 'Self Discharge State'

pnovotny

Reactions
Hello Friends,

I came across this article which claims that it's dangerous to use drone batteries which are in 'Self Discharge State' (batteries which have begun discharging per DJI settings) and that you need to fully charge them prior to use (unless it's a continuation of a previous flight a short time ago, prior to self discharge).

Can anyone verify this?

If this is correct, if a battery was purposely discharged to 60%, can it be considered stable and therefore safe to use?

Thanks for your comments.

Attached is a link to the article, see part 4.

Reactions: Oman and Rchawks
That's been seen in quite a lot of crash flight data analysis posts.
Something to do with the lack of cell balance part of charging when needed.

Crash analysis has revealed (for example) SOC on a self discharged battery used showing say 60%, soon after flight it can plummet to almost nil, and obviously if you have flown some distance away this is usually a crash scenario trying to RTH.

If a batter starts auto discharge to any level, it should be topped off fully before use.

If you've flown one down to 60% that day, and want to do a quick / close, up, photo / video, down, then you're safe.
I'd say even popping up a drone with an earlier battery down down to 40%, or even 30% would be fine to take up for a few minutes for a quick photo / video.

I'm not 100% sure about a purposely discharged battery to 60%, how many with DJI type BMS systems use aftermarket dischargers ?
And how might these differ to DJI BMS discharging ?

I know since the fly app took away the option for pilots to set their own discharge # of day (2 - 10 days option), think it is 10 days now standard for all DJI batteries ?
Some think that's too long . . . personally I feel it's ok, but I have my Spark and M1P set for 3 days on the Go4 app.

Be interesting to see replies about the after market dischargers.

Thank you, this is very important information!

I idle the props until the battery reaches 60%, should have made this clear.

That should be fine then, same day flight, heck even next day or two, as auto discharge wouldn't have started.

I have that many batteries, for most outings I can just fly and land at 50% sometimes, even 40%, and I'll just leave mine in that state for next outing and recharge what I feel like take full . . . usually all of them 😬 as you never know what you'll find on a drive.

Thank you, this is very important information!

I idle the props until the battery reaches 60%, should have made this clear.
This is the recommendation from the DJI instructions on how to properly store a battery.
And after taking it out of storage, to be sure to charge fully before use.

Reactions: careless
This is the recommendation from the DJI instructions on how to properly store a battery.
And after taking it out of storage, to be sure to charge fully before use.
I think they need to reevaluate how they convey this matter to users.

This reads like one of dozens of recommendations, like those you find in many appliance manuals, rather than the extremely important matter this is.

I think they need to reevaluate how they convey this matter to users.

This reads like one of dozens of recommendations, like those you find in many appliance manuals, rather than the extremely important matter this is.
True. It kinda annoys me that they don't explain WHY you should do some things. It would be nice to know the importance of adhering to instructions since many people may feel that it's just a "recommendation".

Reactions: pnovotny
Hello Friends,

I came across this article which claims that it's dangerous to use drone batteries which are in 'Self Discharge State' (batteries which have begun discharging per DJI settings) and that you need to fully charge them prior to use (unless it's a continuation of a previous flight a short time ago, prior to self discharge).

Can anyone verify this?

If this is correct, if a battery was purposely discharged to 60%, can it be considered stable and therefore safe to use?

Thanks for your comments.

Attached is a link to the article, see part 4.

This is common knowledge. Yes, this is true. Charge your batteries up to 100% before using. this might be the 1000th time this has been stated.

This is common knowledge. Yes, this is true. Charge your batteries up to 100% before using. this might be the 1000th time this has been stated.
Haha - true. Is there a prize for the 1000th time?

• Haha
Reactions: Bob in Savannah
Haha - true. Is there a prize for the 1000th time?
If I had my Dunce Hat available, maybe. Seems like it would fit.
Im just busy wearing it myself over some of my other ridiculous posts around here. But yours is certainly worthy of tonight's most redundant post. +1

what you have to remember with a battery powered drone, is the only thing keeping it in the air, is because the propellors are creating lift ,and as we all know that lift requires the motors to be spinning at a considerable rate
the drone itself has no real part to play in creating that lift ,so to that end ,it is essential that the battery has sufficient stored energy ie ,is fully charged before commencing a flight ,that way you at least give the drone the best chance of a successful flight and return to home

what you have to remember with a battery powered drone, is the only thing keeping it in the air, is because the propellors are creating lift ,and as we all know that lift requires the motors to be spinning at a considerable rate
the drone itself has no real part to play in creating that lift ,so to that end ,it is essential that the battery has sufficient stored energy ie ,is fully charged before commencing a flight ,that way you at least give the drone the best chance of a successful flight and return to home
TRANSLATION: Charge your batteries to 100% before flight.

@OJsakila ,thankyou so much for your "TRANSLATION" it was the correct answerThumbswayupThumbswayupThumbswayupThumbswayup

• Love
The batteries drain so quickly in windy conditions with using sport mode it can easily catch you off guard, especially if you're used to flying with a larger battery on the mini 3 pro as opposed to say the MA2. I always fly with a full charge if it's been more than a couple of days. I'm sure I probably stress too much about the condition of the batteries. Much safer now than in the old days, huh guys. I've been flying drones about 3 yrs and no puffing.

• Love
If I had my Dunce Hat available, maybe. Seems like it would fit.
Im just busy wearing it myself over some of my other ridiculous posts around here. But yours is certainly worthy of tonight's most redundant post. +1
Haha - maybe we can share it from time to time.
There are newbies here like me who value this "redundant" information. Sometimes, links to the information from veterans helps people new to the game to get a leg up without annoying some people,...

I always found the best way to avoid being irritated by the redundancy of a subject or post is to avoid the subject and move on the another post. We all wear the dunce cap at one time or another, the important thing is to help others when you can and take what they have to offer to you. There are some very, very smart people on this site and I'm sure most all this information is redundant to them. I'm always amazed at the information they pass to all of us and we'll **** lucky to have this site available to all of us.

The batteries will start to discharge the moment you remove them from the charger I expect. However I read that if press the power button to confirm fully charged then this delays the auto discharge, can someone confirm.
But the other point is I always check the individual cell voltages before take off, make sure they are within .02% of each other.

Reactions: JoelP and Rchawks
The batteries will start to discharge the moment you remove them from the charger I expect. However I read that if press the power button to confirm fully charged then this delays the auto discharge, can someone confirm.
But the other point is I always check the individual cell voltages before take off, make sure they are within .02% of each other.
Very Good Point, that's something I've read about but never really followed up on, but I'll be more conscious of it in the future.

Little confused because the intelligent batteries will auto discharge to 96% after a day (60 after 5 days), you can't top off a battery that's greater than or equal to 88% (in the case of an Air 2/2S, four solid led) have to wait until it drops below 88% before the battery will start to charge (3 solid, 1 blinking or less).

Is the issue still there with full battery led even tho it may have auto discharged down to 88%?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada