DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Data Analysis Tools JackGarner

cobra46

Reactions
I've been lurking here for a few months trying to learn as much as I can but have only had my Mavic for a couple weeks (24 flights).

I upload every flight .TXT into healthydrones and use that data to record my flights into my logbook.

I'm a bit confused about all the files one can get from the phone/tablet as well as the Mavic itself and what analysis tool is used for each.

My phone stores these files in the DJI folder:
DJIFlightRecord_2017-01-31_[16-54-33].txt (Can be uploaded to healtydrones and includes quite a bit of data)
log-2017-01-21.txt (no clue what these are used for)
FLY058.dat (no clue what these are used for)​

Using DJI Assistant 2 I can pull the following from my Mavic:
FLY058.dat (I think this is used with CsvView, DatCon or Dashware or more than one of these)​

JackGarner, or anyone else for that matter, can you please shed some light on these files?

Also, what are the individual uses of CsvView, DatCon and Dashware?

JackGarner - Thank you very much for writing these tools and sharing your knowledge of the inner workings of the Mavic file outputs.

I've been lurking here for a few months trying to learn as much as I can but have only had my Mavic for a couple weeks (24 flights).

I upload every flight .TXT into healthydrones and use that data to record my flights into my logbook.

I'm a bit confused about all the files one can get from the phone/tablet as well as the Mavic itself and what analysis tool is used for each.

My phone stores these files in the DJI folder:
DJIFlightRecord_2017-01-31_[16-54-33].txt (Can be uploaded to healtydrones and includes quite a bit of data)
log-2017-01-21.txt (no clue what these are used for)
FLY058.dat (no clue what these are used for)​

Using DJI Assistant 2 I can pull the following from my Mavic:
FLY058.dat (I think this is used with CsvView, DatCon or Dashware or more than one of these)​

JackGarner, or anyone else for that matter, can you please shed some light on these files?

Also, what are the individual uses of CsvView, DatCon and Dashware?

JackGarner - Thank you very much for writing these tools and sharing your knowledge of the inner workings of the Mavic file outputs.
@msinger 's site has a complete list of log viewing software. Look here.

More about CsvView/DatCon can be found here.

I also don't have a clue what the .dat on the tablet is about.:)

@msinger 's site has a complete list of log viewing software. Look here.

More about CsvView/DatCon can be found here.

I also don't have a clue what the .dat on the tablet is about.:)

I started playing with DatCon last night. There does seem to be a bit of a learning curve to figure it all out. I will play with the others tonight.

Thank you for not only writing such useful tools but for sharing them as well.

I started playing with DatCon last night. There does seem to be a bit of a learning curve to figure it all out. I will play with the others tonight.

Thank you for not only writing such useful tools but for sharing them as well.
Just a suggestion. Start with CsvView instead of DatCon. CsvView uses DatCon internally to read the .DAT. If you're not interested in the visualization that CsvView can do you can just export the .csv after the .DAT was read. It's the same number of steps as using DatCon. DatCon has features/options that aren't exposed in CsvView but a beginner probably isn't interested in those and they can be overwhelming at first. Just a suggestion. Good luck.

Just a suggestion. Start with CsvView instead of DatCon. CsvView uses DatCon internally to read the .DAT. If you're not interested in the visualization that CsvView can do you can just export the .csv after the .DAT was read. It's the same number of steps as using DatCon. DatCon has features/options that aren't exposed in CsvView but a beginner probably isn't interested in those and they can be overwhelming at first. Just a suggestion. Good luck.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll do that tonight.

I am happy to explain what all the tools do but I did not write them! That was @BudWalker

I'd love to learn more about the most important things to look for when using CSVview. It's an amazing tool and many thanks to the developer! Very valuable for post problem analysis, but appears to be good for possibly finding issues before they become big problems.

For now, I start by looking at gps health to make sure it consistently stays at 5 throughout the flight. I also look at the voltage spread between the 3 cells to make sure all are pretty much the same, especially with increased RPM. I also look at IMU and battery heat.

I've looked at files from the DJI Forum that were an analysis of bad flights. On one in particular DJI stated the log indicated excessive interference and it should be sent in for repair. This one was dropping GPS health for no appearent reason. What specifically were they looking at? Some of the voltage/current graphs did seem noiser than I've seen, but maybe I was reading too much into it.

When analyzing a .dat log, what are you looking for that may be evidence of a problem, or an indicator of a future problem?

Are there specific items to look at that may be indicative of compass or gps issues, or that may cause gps or compass problems?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost