DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Davinci 17 STUDIO- Noise reduction experiment

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
I hadn't done any night flying so far and with some new strobes that arrived I wanted to take my M2P out for a night spin. It was just a local neighborhood thing, and I actually didn't stay in the air very long as I had forgotten to check the wind before flying. My eagerness got the best of me and I didn't realize we had 30mph winds with 42mph gusts [see the flags as the M2 flies past]! A Mini wouldn't have done very well with Cat 6-7 winds. I digress...

With Davinci free version I paid $89 for the basic Neat Video noise reducing plug-in. I didn't realize at the time that the basic version only worked up to 1080p. Having just purchased Davinci Resolve Studio with this footage it was an opportune time to test the native noise reduction capability of Resolve Studio. Here is a short 1:03 clip illustrating the noise reduction. It was shot in D-log H265 with no additional color grading other than slight sharpening of the noise reduced version.

Last edited:
Very nice comparison vindibona1. I haven't upgraded to ver 17 yet, but so far I like all the reviews. The noise reduction will be very beneficial. Thanks for posting. Need to get some strobes too!

Very nice comparison vindibona1. I haven't upgraded to ver 17 yet, but so far I like all the reviews. The noise reduction will be very beneficial. Thanks for posting. Need to get some strobes too!
Please note that the noise reduction is only in the STUDIO (paid) version. But right now they have a promotion where you buy the Studio version and they include their new speed editor console which they will sell for $295. But even in the free version there are many new features. If you saw the opening title of this clip, it is a fusion title, which I just threw on. They've included several different styles of fusion text effects in both versions. I've just begun to explore them.

Reactions: dawgpilot
by any chance did you compare the native noise reduction vs the Neat Video solution...

by any chance did you compare the native noise reduction vs the Neat Video solution...
I think Neat video is better. If for no other reason than it scientifically figured out the values for you. Especially temporal NR is difficult to dial in manually.

I also like Neat Videos sharpening. I sometimes use it and turn off NR so I get just the sharpening.

I think Neat video is better. If for no other reason than it scientifically figured out the values for you. Especially temporal NR is difficult to dial in manually.

I also like Neat Videos sharpening. I sometimes use it and turn off NR so I get just the sharpening.
Neat is very good. However the $90 version only works up to 1080p. $159 for the commercial version. But I think there is a clip from a recent project I can do a comparison with that has already been cleaned up with neat. I originally renedered it in 1080p, but later on upscaled it to 4K. I’ll see if I can put that together today.

Neat is very good. However the $90 version only works up to 1080p. $159 for the commercial version. But I think there is a clip from a recent project I can do a comparison with that has already been cleaned up with neat. I originally renedered it in 1080p, but later on upscaled it to 4K. I’ll see if I can put that together today.
Yea I mean the commercial version. I’d prefer Resolve’s native function over 1080p version of Neat video.

Side note, I like your profile pic. Good to have another skier on here. Cant wait for this season, hopefully they actually open up the slopes.

Yea I mean the commercial version. I’d prefer Resolve’s native function over 1080p version of Neat video.

Side note, I like your profile pic. Good to have another skier on here. Cant wait for this season, hopefully they actually open up the slopes.
I think I'm sitting this season out. Even though outdoors ya gotta go inside to pee or eat sooner or later. Most places don't even have enough room for spaced lines. If a vaccine comes along I'll reevaluate. Snowbird is one of my favorite places to ski. Been there many times. I love SLC!

Oh... and back to noise reduction... I tried working on the Neat video comparison. I'll have to render the 1080p version into an MP4, then reimport it back into a 4k file. It seems that Studio requires more resources than the free version. I'll have to figure out how to make my system more efficient even though I have a pretty powerful gaming computer.

Reactions: brett8883
I hadn't done any night flying so far and with some new strobes that arrived I wanted to take my M2P out for a night spin. It was just a local neighborhood thing, and I actually didn't stay in the air very long as I had forgotten to check the wind before flying. My eagerness got the best of me and I didn't realize we had 30mph winds with 42mph gusts [see the flags as the M2 flies past]! A Mini wouldn't have done very well with Cat 6-7 winds. I digress...

With Davinci free version I paid $89 for the basic Neat Video noise reducing plug-in. I didn't realize at the time that the basic version only worked up to 1080p. Having just purchased Davinci Resolve Studio with this footage it was an opportune time to test the native noise reduction capability of Resolve Studio. Here is a short 1:03 clip illustrating the noise reduction. It was shot in D-log H265 with no additional color grading other than slight sharpening of the noise reduced version.

Maybe it's just me but I was not really seeing any particular noise in the "Before" clip as compared tot he "After" clip.

I was thinking of buying the Neat Video software after I saw it being used by VIC VideoPic , but you say that it will only correct up to 1080p? I usually shoot everything in 4K and edit in Adobe Premiere Pro. Still not sure.

Dale
Miami
former resident of DRC

Maybe it's just me but I was not really seeing any particular noise in the "Before" clip as compared tot he "After" clip.

I was thinking of buying the Neat Video software after I saw it being used by VIC VideoPic , but you say that it will only correct up to 1080p? I usually shoot everything in 4K and edit in Adobe Premiere Pro. Still not sure.

Dale
Miami
former resident of DRC
You can get the commercial version that doesn’t have resolution limits. That’s what I have. Keep in mind that Neat Video is very resource intensive.

You can get the commercial version that doesn’t have resolution limits. That’s what I have. Keep in mind that Neat Video is very resource intensive.
Brett8883
Here is a screen grab of Neat Video pricing. Which one is the commercial version?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 3.45.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 3.45.25 PM.png
    96.9 KB · Views: 6
Brett8883
Here is a screen grab of Neat Video pricing. Which one is the commercial version?

Those are just the different software platforms that you can buy the plug-in for, you would need to click on the arrow next to the price to see the various versions for a specific platform. (notice how the price is "from 74.90")

Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 4.00.53 PM.png

Dale
Miami
former resident of DRC
I'm not sure why you don't see it Dale. It's there. But don't worry, I'm working on a new comparison clip to show before, and after, reducing noise with Resolve 17 Studio 4k, then comparing to the same clip with Neat NR rendered in 1080p, then interpolated up to 4k.

Brett8883
Neither is the commercial version. Edit: See @dawgpilot screen shot with the pricing.

Last edited:

Dale
Miami
former resident of DRC
Stay tuned....
I've done a comparison from scratch attempting to compare Neat Video with Davinci Resolve 17 Studio noise removal. I'm going to create a Part II of this shortly so it isn't totally buried among all the posts from this thread. It was interesting because I didn't really know what I was doing in Resolve, took my best guess and overdid it, I think I came up with a work-around to go with the less expensive Neat Video plug-in. It's a handy-dandy little tool because it's automated one you sample the clip and build the profile. I'll come back and post the link to Part II here.

I think I'm sitting this season out. Even though outdoors ya gotta go inside to pee or eat sooner or later. Most places don't even have enough room for spaced lines. If a vaccine comes along I'll reevaluate. Snowbird is one of my favorite places to ski. Been there many times. I love SLC!

Oh... and back to noise reduction... I tried working on the Neat video comparison. I'll have to render the 1080p version into an MP4, then reimport it back into a 4k file. It seems that Studio requires more resources than the free version. I'll have to figure out how to make my system more efficient even though I have a pretty powerful gaming computer.
I do Snowbird and Alta but I would choose Alta if I could only do one or the other. It’s just like Snowbird (they right next to each other and share the same mountain) but no snowboarders.

I'm not sure why you don't see it Dale. It's there. But don't worry, I'm working on a new comparison clip to show before, and after, reducing noise with Resolve 17 Studio 4k, then comparing to the same clip with Neat NR rendered in 1080p, then interpolated up to 4k.
I am confident Neat video takes care of 100% of the noise (as long as you set it up properly) but taking a 4k clip downscaling it to 1080p and then upscaling back to 4k isn’t the same thing as just keeping it in 4k the whole way.

It would honestly be more accurate to just compare both videos in 1080p if you don’t have the “Pro” or “commercial” or whatever they call it version of Neat Video.

Downscaling to 1080p will probably get rid of a lot noise by itself, just FYI to do a fair comparison.

Unless you have just one short low resolution clip in a video with lots of other high resolution clips you would want to just export at the resolution of lowest resolution clip. A 1080p video will be upscaled to play on a 4k screen by the end users computer. There’s no benefit to doing that on your end and is just more time and work for you.

Also check out the sharpening in Neat Video plug in. It’s bonkers. But one important thing you have to check “prevent over sharpening” to get the good sharpening algorithm.

Do like 150% high
50% Mid
0% low and so on.

I am confident Neat video takes care of 100% of the noise (as long as you set it up properly) but taking a 4k clip downscaling it to 1080p and then upscaling back to 4k isn’t the same thing as just keeping it in 4k the whole way.

It would honestly be more accurate to just compare both videos in 1080p if you don’t have the “Pro” or “commercial” or whatever they call it version of Neat Video.

Downscaling to 1080p will probably get rid of a lot noise by itself, just FYI to do a fair comparison.

Unless you have just one short low resolution clip in a video with lots of other high resolution clips you would want to just export at the resolution of lowest resolution clip. A 1080p video will be upscaled to play on a 4k screen by the end users computer. There’s no benefit to doing that on your end and is just more time and work for you.

Also check out the sharpening in Neat Video plug in. It’s bonkers. But one important thing you have to check “prevent over sharpening” to get the good sharpening algorithm.

Do like 150% high
50% Mid
0% low and so on.
I get what you're saying. I'm just trying to compare what I've got at the moment. I'll tell you what... Here is the link to the new comparison video that I did. Following that is the original 1080p rendering that I did before I realized it would have so much more wow factor in 4k- as it was all shot in 4k.

What do I know? I'm just a relative newbie never having edite ANY video (except VHS 35 years ago) before July 1st. I learn so much when I stick my neck out :).

Link to new thread

Original 1080p rendering of the project...

and in case you want to see the project re-rendered in 4k with the upscaled noise reduced clips at the beginning, here is that version in 4k (which gave me the thought to see what upscaling might do...

I get what you're saying. I'm just trying to compare what I've got at the moment. I'll tell you what... Here is the link to the new comparison video that I did. Following that is the original 1080p rendering that I did before I realized it would have so much more wow factor in 4k- as it was all shot in 4k.

What do I know? I'm just a relative newbie never having edite ANY video (except VHS 35 years ago) before July 1st. I learn so much when I stick my neck out :).

Link to new thread

Original 1080p rendering of the project...

and in case you want to see the project re-rendered in 4k with the upscaled noise reduced clips at the beginning, here is that version in 4k (which gave me the thought to see what upscaling might do...

Those are sweet videos.

Did you retime (change the speed) of the videos? You have to account for that in Neat Video. If you slowed them down you have to turn up “repeated frames” in Neat Video temporal NR.

Neat Video looks at the changes between frames to figure out what is noise and what is actually movement so if you slow down the video say 50% it will play every frame twice so the noise from frame one to frame 2 will not change and Neat video won’t pick it up.

Those are sweet videos.

Did you retime (change the speed) of the videos? You have to account for that in Neat Video. If you slowed them down you have to turn up “repeated frames” in Neat Video temporal NR.

Neat Video looks at the changes between frames to figure out what is noise and what is actually movement so if you slow down the video say 50% it will play every frame twice so the noise from frame one to frame 2 will not change and Neat video won’t pick it up.
Ok... Again, I'm a relative newbie to video. I rely largely on my photography/Photoshop skill set to hack my way through video things right now as I learn.

The very first thing I shot with my M2p in August was this Bahai project. I started in Normal mode and a bit into the project switched to D-Log, but all shot in 4k. I have no idea why I settled for a 1080p setting, just not knowing any better, I initially rendered the entire project in 1080. At that time I bought the Neat Video amateur plug-in which is what was used for the original. Later on (October) I decided that there was no reason to limit that project to 1080, so I deleted the source files in the master bin, keeping the timeline intact, reset the project to 4k, then reimported and re-linked the source files with the timeline and re-rendered it all in 4k. The thing is, that Neat Video Amateur, if trying to render above 1080p only de-noises the center of the image. No good. So what I did was I went to the original 1080p file, and rendered it as a 4k file (I think). Then I imported that rendered file into the 4k version of the project which is what you see. I don't think it did a half bad job considering it was a cheat.

As far as retiming things in Neat Video... Until this moment I didn't even know that was an option/thing/setting/adjustment o_O . As I said... I'm hacking my way through a video education. But I love continuously learning new stuff... It just keeps getting harder with age. I now know what my dad meant when he said he forgot more than I ever knew. I can say that to my kids now... cause it's true! ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mavic 3 classic User