DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DaVinci Resolve 16.1 Output Format Restrictions

IShouldBeWorking

Reactions
Hi everyone, I was doing some editing last night and DaVinci Resolve popped up with a note about the new version that's available. There was some info about restrictions on output resolutions I don't recall seeing before. Here's the wording:

The free DaVinci Resolve 16.1 includes all of the same high quality processing as DaVinci Resolve 16.1 Studio and can handle unlimited resolution media files. However it does limit project mastering and output to Ultra HD resolutions or lower. DaVinci Resolve 16.1 only supports a single processing GPU on Windows and Linux and 2 GPUs on the latest Mac Pro.

If you need features such as support for multiple GPUs, 4K output, motion blur effects, temporal and spatial noise reduction, de-interlacing, HDR tools, camera tracker, multiple Resolve FX, 3D stereoscopic tools, remote rendering, an external database server and collaboration tools that let multiple users work on the same project at the same time, please upgrade to DaVinci Resolve 16.1 Studio.

So my question is, starting with the free version of 16.1, can I output 4k or not? The first paragraph says output is limited to "Ultra HD resolutions or lower" but then in the next paragraph it says support for 4K output is only in the paid Studio version. For my editing last night, I stayed on 16.0 and I was able to output to 4k just fine. Does anyone have any insight on this in 16.1? Thanks!

Maybe they got smart and reduced the function of the free version to get buyers to the paid version. The latest price of the paid isn't bad considering what you get.

Reactions: IShouldBeWorking
Maybe they got smart and reduced the function of the free version to get buyers to the paid version. The latest price of the paid isn't bad considering what you get.
Black Magic is very generous with what they give away to the community knowing that many of us will upgrade or maybe even buy some of their hardware down the road. And I’m planning on doing so. But what I’m asking is, today, with the free DaVinci Resolve 16.1 software, can I render 4K output or not? I can in 16.0 and to take that ability out on a .1 release seems odd.

Yes you can at 3840 x 2160 . I don't know if the 16.1 supports H265 yet in the free.

ULTRA hi is supported, which is normally 4K. BD Design still is generous. These limits have been in place for a while. I don’t think they are new with 16.1

For those who are interested in the differences between the free and the Studio version, here the comparison sheet. (It's from v15, but you will have a general overview.)

Attachments

• DaVinci_Resolve_15_Feature_Comparison.pdf
    467.5 KB · Views: 23
Hi everyone, I was doing some editing last night and DaVinci Resolve popped up with a note about the new version that's available. There was some info about restrictions on output resolutions I don't recall seeing before. Here's the wording:

The free DaVinci Resolve 16.1 includes all of the same high quality processing as DaVinci Resolve 16.1 Studio and can handle unlimited resolution media files. However it does limit project mastering and output to Ultra HD resolutions or lower. DaVinci Resolve 16.1 only supports a single processing GPU on Windows and Linux and 2 GPUs on the latest Mac Pro.

If you need features such as support for multiple GPUs, 4K output, motion blur effects, temporal and spatial noise reduction, de-interlacing, HDR tools, camera tracker, multiple Resolve FX, 3D stereoscopic tools, remote rendering, an external database server and collaboration tools that let multiple users work on the same project at the same time, please upgrade to DaVinci Resolve 16.1 Studio.

So my question is, starting with the free version of 16.1, can I output 4k or not? The first paragraph says output is limited to "Ultra HD resolutions or lower" but then in the next paragraph it says support for 4K output is only in the paid Studio version. For my editing last night, I stayed on 16.0 and I was able to output to 4k just fine. Does anyone have any insight on this in 16.1? Thanks!
You can generate 4k video. Just not h.265. You have to use h.264

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929