DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DaVinci Resolve 16

mealers

Reactions
So DaVinci Resolve 16 is being released today at 9am PDT and I'm really excited to see what Blackmagic has to offer us. Unfortunately I'm away from my desktop for a couple days so cant download it when it becomes available.
I'd really appreciate hearing anyones views on it and how it compares to 15.2?

Thanks for the heads up. I've used version 15 for the last couple of videos I've done. I'm becoming a big fan. I'll be anxious to check out version 16 and I'll see if I can post a quick comparison.

Reactions: mealers
Thanks for the heads up. I've used version 15 for the last couple of videos I've done. I'm becoming a big fan. I'll be anxious to check out version 16 and I'll see if I can post a quick comparison.

Thanks and yes I feel the same about it,tried the trial version of FCPX which ran a lot smoother than DV15 but I much prefer the control for colour grading so hoping DV16 will be even better.

I didn't get to watch the live unveil at NAB this morning. I was actually working. :) But the product page is now live:

DaVinci Resolve 16 | Blackmagic Design

It's going to take a while to parse the long list of new features. But for me the new "Cut Page," that's an alternative to the clip editing page from previous versions, sounds very interesting. I also saw they added a bunch of collaboration features that I probably won't ever use. But the complete list is super-long. If I get some time tonight, I'll download it and start playing around. I love new software toys!

Well I've given up with it already...I cant even install it!?
I download it,unzip the dmg file then as soon as I hit the Install icon I get the spinning beach ball of death and my imac freezes. Ah well I quite like 15.2 anyway. :rolleyes:

I download it,unzip the dmg file then as soon as I hit the Install icon I get the spinning beach ball of death and my imac freezes. Ah well I quite like 15.2 anyway. :rolleyes:

Well, that's disappointing. I didn't get a chance to download it last night. I'll see what I can do tonight. Hopefully, it will at least install. Working with pre-release software can certainly be "interesting."

Downloaded and installed OK on my windows 10 desktop. Had it crash twice and titles do not work. Should have waited.

Are you trying to install on an external SSD by any chance? I had this same issue and ended up formatting the drive for Mac OS Extended Journaled rather than AFS and installed fine.

Are you trying to install on an external SSD by any chance? I had this same issue and ended up formatting the drive for Mac OS Extended Journaled rather than AFS and installed fine.
Yes I am, I'm using an external SSD as a boot drive for OSX. Strange that DVR16 doesnt seem to like AFS though, I thought AFS was supposed to be optimised for SSD's?
I think I'II leave it though and just wait for it to come outta beta.

I am looking to download 15 - 16 crashes to the desktop without saying goodbye. I am on Win 10, 32GB ram on a 1 TB SSD laptop. It’s video and all other drivers are the latest. I uninstalled 16 without saying thank you very much.

I don’t trust software from oddball sites, so I am still looking for a good version 15 site.

Resolve has proven to be very good for me on the latest release of 15. I am finally getting comfortable with features and how to use them all (thanks to incredible youtube tutorials)! The 16 is listed a Beta, being so I will wait until the 'official' release, but excited for it when it arrives!

So after some of the concerns raised, I waited to download 16. But I got a new computer last week and that was the only version I could find to download from Black Magic's site. I was able to install it without any errors, and it runs fine. I was able to cut together and color correct a little video from my last outing. Everything played smoothly, which made me happy since my old machine stuttered like crazy when editing dlog H.265 videos and then it would run out of space when I generated optimized media. It was definitely time for a hardware upgrade.

So the new machine works great and Resolve 16 seems fine, until I render out my finished video. I used the 4k YouTube preset and the render was done in under 30 seconds! Sweet! But there are strange artifacts that come and go throughout the video. Here's what it looks like:

I'm going to try some different output settings when I have a chance later tonight. Maybe that will make them go away. But has anyone else seen similar results? I'm concerned it might have something to do with the new machine. But with Resolve 16 being in beta, that's my first suspect.

I've just installed DV16 on a 2015 MBP (I was going to sell it after getting an imac), it installed and loaded perfectly. I'm using a external SSD which is just for my video media library, on my imac I have two SSD's one as a boot disk and the other my library. I couldnt even load DV16 on my imac but so far it works great on my little MBP!?

I've literally just imported a couple clips, optimised to half resolution, ProRes 422 Proxy and Generated Optimized Media. I'm skipping all the new features for now and just gone straight to the power hungry parts of 15.2 which would really slow down or even completely freeze up my imac.
The Fusion tab seems to work perfectly well, I can now straighten the curved horizon in full FOV easily! I'm really happy with this, the Fusion tab on 15.2 worked really slow and quite often would just lock up my machine.
Everything in the Color tab seems to work a lot smoother aswell, Sharpening and Stabalizer used to really slow thing down but they also seem a lot better.

So its still very early days for me with DV16 and I cant wait to look deeper into it but its got the thumbs up from me right now.

@IShouldBeWorking I'm going to do a very quick and rough edit and export the same way you have just to see if I come up with the same problem you have, I'II post it here.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242