DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DaVinci Resolve 18 - Jumpy video in 4k 29fps - what am I doing wrong?

AlbionDrones

Reactions
Site
www.youtube.com
Hi All,
Having some issues with Rendering my video edits on DaVinci Resolve 18, the footage is in 4k, and at 30fps, and buttery smooth, but when rendering at 4k and 30fps it comes out jerky, which is really offputting. I am uping the quality to 110k, and 4k, 30fps as a MP4, but nothing I seem to do makes any diference...

Any suggestions, this is what it looks like rendered and uploaded to Youtube... Really disheartening when it looks so good out of the drone...

Reactions: JoelP
What's your quality setting in the rendering tab..? Too high there may hog down your computer when trying to play it.
YT will also make the clip worse if you don't follow the recommended quality setting (Mbps) for the clip resolution & frame rate.

This is what YT want's for 4K 30fps ...

1662469256851.png

... & here you dial it in (56Mbps approx 56000kb/s)

1662469343193.png

Reactions: AlbionDrones
What's your quality setting in the rendering tab..? Too high there may hog down your computer when trying to play it.
YT will also make the clip worse if you don't follow the recommended quality setting (Mbps) for the clip resolution & frame rate.

This is what YT want's for 4K 30fps ...

View attachment 154401

... & here you dial it in (56Mbps approx 56000kb/s)

View attachment 154402
I followed a guide on YT that told me to set to at least 110000KB/s, so thats what I have set, does it need to be more, or less?

The jumpiness is both on YT and when rendered, whereas the native footage straight from the drone is butery smooth...

You might want to cut that bitrate in half.
Thanks, just tried that, doesnt seem to make any difference, neither does increasing it to 450000... Trying to redo it now as a .mov instead of a mp4 to see if that changes anything..

Hmm, footage is recorded at 30fps, but DaVinci seems to be setting frame rate to 24fps automatically, how do I change that to 30fps so they match, and could that be why it is jumpy?

I don't have access to Resolve right now, but there is a setting for that in Preferences, I believe. Plus, when you first import your video clip, Resolve should ask if you want to match the framerate of the clip to the framerate set in your Resolve preferences.

Hmm, footage is recorded at 30fps, but DaVinci seems to be setting frame rate to 24fps automatically, how do I change that to 30fps so they match, and could that be why it is jumpy?
There’s a little settings icon in the bottom right corner of the app. It will bring up a project settings dialogue where you can check and set frame rate.

Reactions: Shayne and Grandpa
Got it, it was the 24fps of DaVinci and 30 fps of the footage, so a quick new timeline and copy it over and sorted :)

Thanks all, will share the new upload in the video area later...

Last edited:
Got it, it was the 24fps of DaVinci and 30 fps of the footage, so a quick new timeline and copy it over and sorted :)

Looks much better now. That’s a really neat place.

That thing where you have the camera pointed straight down and are spinning - did you do that in post or is that actually straight out of the drone camera from your maneuvering? If the latter I wouldn’t have guessed that would come off that well.

Looks much better now. That’s a really neat place.

That thing where you have the camera pointed straight down and are spinning - did you do that in post or is that actually straight out of the drone camera from your maneuvering? If the latter I wouldn’t have guessed that would come off that well.
Thanks, it was all done in camera, set the Cine mode to 5degree gimball speed and 10 degrees turning speed, and came down with a spin on the drone. Sped it up to double in PP.

it's buttery smooth on my old 2017 iMac when I play the yt video.

When you begin a new project, Resolve will usually ask you if you want to change the timeline frame rate if your footage differs from Resolve's default frame rate.

You can re-set Resolve's default 24 fps frame rate to whatever you like.

One way to do this is by creating a new, empty project and change the frame rate from Resolve's default 24 fps BEFORE YOU IMPORT ANY FOOTAGE. Save this empty project as a template and use it later, re-naming it before you save any new work under that project name.

That could well be the reason. I had similar problems when using Final Cut years ago. Always best to shoot at the same frame rate you want to use for your project.

When you begin a new project, Resolve will usually ask you if you want to change the timeline frame rate if your footage differs from Resolve's default frame rate.

You can re-set Resolve's default 24 fps frame rate to whatever you like.

One way to do this is by creating a new, empty project and change the frame rate from Resolve's default 24 fps BEFORE YOU IMPORT ANY FOOTAGE. Save this empty project as a template and use it later, re-naming it before you save any new work under that project name.
Thanks, yeah, I will be doing that... Only issue is that DaVinci Resolve is on hubby's laptop as his is much more capable than my works supplied probook, so I have to work around him using his laptop for my video editing...

What a great forum this is!!!! 👍😎 Excellent outcome - thanks to all involved. I have daV 17, not yet upgraded to 18, so the feedback here is very good to read. 🇳🇿 (Just watched the video. Great footage and variety of shots. The editing has come up really well in daV 18. Only thing missing was to drape a white druid sheet over you in the portion seen standing by the entrance ……. 😉 cheers 👍 )

Last edited:
what was your shutter speed?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbrute