DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DaVinci Resolve ?

THE CYBORG

Reactions
I have installed the free version of DaVinci Resolve 16 but can’t get it to work.

My PC specifications are as follows.
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit.
i9-9900K Processor.
32 GB DDR 4 Ram.
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Super UHD Graphics.

I would assume my PC is good enough to run DaVinci but I simply can’t get any video to show in the preview windows, the timeline moves but no video, if I load something I edited on another program I get the audio but no video.
The screenshot with my text overlay (if the thumbnail works) shows all I get so any help would be greatly appreciated.

DaVinci.JPG

I did contact Blackmagic Design stating I installed the free version to try it out before purchasing the full version and it didn’t work properly but all I got as a reply was there is no help available for the free version.

I know lots of you use DaVinci and like it but I have no intention of paying for it if I can’t run it hence the free version as a try out.

Attachments

• DaVinci.JPG
    DaVinci.JPG
    342.8 KB · Views: 47
Reactions: jwilk805
maybe go ask in the Da Vinci forum where they can provide better help?

I have installed the free version of DaVinci Resolve 16 but can’t get it to work.

Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit.
i9-9900K Processor.
32 GB DDR 4 Ram.

I would assume my PC is good enough to run DaVinci but I simply can’t get any video to show in the preview windows, the timeline moves but no video, if I load something I edited on another program I get the audio but no video.
The screenshot with my text overlay (if the thumbnail works) shows all I get so any help would be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 99982

I did contact Blackmagic Design stating I installed the free version to try it out before purchasing the full version and it didn’t work properly but all I got as a reply was there is no help available for the free version.

I know lots of you use DaVinci and like it but I have no intention of paying for it if I can’t run it hence the free version as a try out.
Test off one easy (but perhaps a bit time consuming) thing first ...

Go to media tab, drag down a clip & right click on it down there and choose "generate optimized media" ... let it run through (can take some time depending on your computer spec). When finished that clip should behave like you editing it in the worlds fastest computer completely without any lag what so ever ... (this function is absolutely the best with Davinci).

1588177638939.png

Reactions: THE CYBORG
What slup said above is worth trying. If you are working with 4K videos, Resolve will struggle to play those within the timeline no matter how good your PC configuration. Generating optimized media solves that problem. But this also sounds to me like a codec issue. Are you working on footage encoded with the H.265 codec (recorded on the M2P)? If so, you may need to convert the footage first before importing it in to Resolve. One more thing to look at is the format you are exporting the video from Resolve.

Thanks for the tips but it’s still a no go – no video shows in the viewer but the time line moves
slup I did the generate optimized media to no avail.
Doppler It isn't that it struggles to play, I just don't get any video in the preview box.
The format is MP4 codec is H.264 but I know nothing of codecs.
I can edit my videos in a program I already have – Video Pad Editor by NCH without any problems. I should be able to do more with DaVinci so this is extremely frustrating.

What slup said above is worth trying. If you are working with 4K videos, Resolve will struggle to play those within the timeline no matter how good your PC configuration. Generating optimized media solves that problem. But this also sounds to me like a codec issue. Are you working on footage encoded with the H.265 codec (recorded on the M2P)? If so, you may need to convert the footage first before importing it in to Resolve. One more thing to look at is the format you are exporting the video from Resolve.
You say “sounds to me like a codec issue “ and “you may need to convert the footage first before importing it in to Resolve “

Convert the footage into what using what ?
Please see my last post above this one.
I apologise for my ignorance on the subject but I only have a problem with Resolve, other editors work fine but I really want to give it a go.

Reactions: Spartan Drones
I have all the latest Nvidia drivers (for my gaming) & motherboard bios.

My PC is running beautifully so I am apprehensive about installing the NVIDIA Studio Drivers mentioned in the link you provided.
I could always make a system restore point and give it a go but I am in a game event for the next few days and don't want to mess things up at the moment.

Have you tried uninstalling deleting any left behind folders and files and then reinstalling? There is no good reason why it won't play. Before I uninstalled it the free version would load footage straight off my mavic 2 just fine. I had issues with the footage not actually optimizing and working as it should. Went back to premier pro cc.

Last edited:
You say “sounds to me like a codec issue “ and “you may need to convert the footage first before importing it in to Resolve “

Convert the footage into what using what ?
That was just in case your videos were encoded in H.265. If your footage is in H.264 (which you say it is), no conversion is necessary. Resolve should not have any issues with these.

Your PC is more than capable in terms of pure HP. It is in the same league as my Alienware killer PC. DaVinci Resolve runs without issues on my hardware and therefore should on yours as well. When you install the program, did you allow DR to write the various files to their default install locations? I know from personal experience that will occasionally screw things up if you modify the install file locations from their defaults. Are you having issues loading, saving, editing or rendering?

Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit.
i9-9900K Processor.
32 GB DDR 4 Ram.

View attachment 99982

I've just uninstalled Da Vinci (free version). Was trying to suss out the basics but fear you might need a university degree (and A LOT of time!) to use it. My needs are modest . . the user 'manual', if printed, would probably equate to Lord of the Rings type size. :D

I would say that the spec of the PC is more than capable of using the program.

Being new to editing I can't really help but I would love to see the finished output. Perhaps one of the Resolve forums could help you.

Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit.
i9-9900K Processor.
32 GB DDR 4 Ram.

View attachment 99982

Your PC specs are excellent and would have no problem handling any video program. I had a problem once and had to disable my protection programs; Norton and Avast. They messed it up. Just a thought... Good luck.

DaVinci offers an excellent tutorial for Resolve 16 (The Beginner’s Guide to DaVinci Resolve 16). It is available for free on Black Magic Designs website or for purchase in book form from Amazon. It is excellent and I think the best way for someone unfamiliar with Resolve to come up to speed. 425 pages of easy to understand info with 16 downloadable projects. I am still amazed that software this powerful is still free.

DaVinci is doing my head in.

Fresh install DaVinci.
Fresh install of Nvidia studio drivers.

Exactly the same problem.
Video shows in time line but not in preview window, at best it shows until I play it then it disappears.
If I load a video I edited in a different program I get the sound but no video.

Looks like DaVinci bites the dust ?

• Sad
Resolve is very powerful and capable. That power comes with lots of workflow possibilities. It is capable of doing just about anything you might want to do, even the free one.
The immense power requires a lot of configuration understanding. Without investing the time to understand how it all works, it is very frustrating. I have been using Resolve on and off since rev 11. It has gotten much better, but is still complex requiring real understanding to use effectively.
My go to video editor is Final Cut Pro X on the Mac. I use Resolve only when I need the power of it’t node based work flow.
If you invest the time to learn Resolve, you will fix your issues and it will work fine. There are many good tutorials for using it.

I installed the free version and don’t exactly understand it? YouTube helped me understand bits and pieces but I’m still clueless lol if u find out something let me know

DaVinci offers an excellent tutorial for Resolve 16 (The Beginner’s Guide to DaVinci Resolve 16). It is available for free on Black Magic Designs website or for purchase in book form from Amazon. It is excellent and I think the best way for someone unfamiliar with Resolve to come up to speed. 425 pages of easy to understand info with 16 downloadable projects. I am still amazed that software this powerful is still free.
This is true. Takes you step by step through the program.

Resolve works fine on my system, which is about 5 years old and nowhere as powerful as yours. I had a similar problem to yours and it was due to the fact that I did not load my video file correctly, once I watched the tutorial "DaVinci Resolve 15 Introduction to Editing" (I have Resolve 16, but this tutorial applies), loaded my file correctly, all worked well.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato