DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Day 1 - What I found

Mcgon

Reactions
Got my MA today. So yeah....the whole setup and firmware update procedure took hours. haha.
Firmware was stuck at 30% - physically disconnect and reconnect phone - went to 99%. had to disconnect kill app, start RC and Bird again, try again from beginning - this time it worked. (SD card error occurred until firmware updated - I just removed the card until update was finished)

I'm using the Pixel 2, Android 8.1.0. No issues. It connects automatically. I've yet to do a flight though. I have USB debugging enabled as advised.

The only drawback is that the RC will trickle charge the phone when connected. Doesn't matter if you choose "midi" or "file transfer" or any other usb connection option when connected - it will always charge the phone from the RC thus draining the RC.
My RC was at half power after an hour of just doing the firmware update etc. I read lots of threads on it. You can try connecting via the other USB port and putting a power bank on the micro usb etc. all sounds like hassle. I'll see if I can get 3 batteries worth of flights on a single RC charge. hopefully.
Disappointing android don't offer a way to cancel this (unless you have a rooted device).

edit: Also - because the app checks for firmware updates when you start it up, I presume I cannot put phone into airplane mode until after this check happens?

Reactions: swoermck
Got my MA today. So yeah....the whole setup and firmware update procedure took hours. haha.
Firmware was stuck at 30% - physically disconnect and reconnect phone - went to 99%. had to disconnect kill app, start RC and Bird again, try again from beginning - this time it worked. (SD card error occurred until firmware updated - I just removed the card until update was finished)

I'm using the Pixel 2, Android 8.1.0. No issues. It connects automatically. I've yet to do a flight though. I have USB debugging enabled as advised.

The only drawback is that the RC will trickle charge the phone when connected. Doesn't matter if you choose "midi" or "file transfer" or any other usb connection option when connected - it will always charge the phone from the RC thus draining the RC.
My RC was at half power after an hour of just doing the firmware update etc. I read lots of threads on it. You can try connecting via the other USB port and putting a power bank on the micro usb etc. all sounds like hassle. I'll see if I can get 3 batteries worth of flights on a single RC charge. hopefully.
Disappointing android don't offer a way to cancel this (unless you have a rooted device).

... I'll see if I can get 3 batteries worth of flights on a single RC charge...
I easily get 3 batteries worth of flight with my RC charging my Tab A. Just make sure that everything is fully charged before flying.
...edit: Also - because the app checks for firmware updates when you start it up, I presume I cannot put phone into airplane mode until after this check happens?
I fly with my Tab A in airplane mode all the time. You can just ignore update suggestions. I also recommend that once you get a setup that works for you, change the setting in the App store to not automatically update. That way you can decide if an update is worth the risk of breaking your setup.

Reactions: Mcgon
Thanks for the info Mossiback. That sound positive.

My other experiences today.

Got up at 8am to do a quick flight before work. My first flight ever. I had spent hours getting all charged and firmware updated the night before ;)
This morning was the first clear day (without rain or wind) for the coming week, so wanted to try it out. Went down to the garden. Started up - firmware versions not matched error - or some such error. Had to update again. Thankfully only took 5 minutes.

Took off without lowering the front legs.... doh. Thought gimble looked low - but thankfully no contact with ground. Tried again and made some video and photos to check out later.

Couldn't find videos or photos on the SD card. Make sure you switch from internal memory to SD. how do I get off internal? Is it as simple as plug and play the bird to the PC using a cable and just copy it off? Or do i I need to install this DJI assistant tool to transfer off?

how do I get off internal? Is it as simple as plug and play the bird to the PC using a cable and just copy it off? Or do i I need to install this DJI assistant tool to transfer off?
On my MP I usually take the card out and insert it in a card reader. Taking the SD card out of the Air sucks, so I connect the Air to PC via the USB and power it on. Your PC should recognize it.

Reactions: Auspete and Mcgon
Thanks for the info Mossiback. That sound positive.

My other experiences today.

Got up at 8am to do a quick flight before work. My first flight ever. I had spent hours getting all charged and firmware updated the night before ;)
This morning was the first clear day (without rain or wind) for the coming week, so wanted to try it out. Went down to the garden. Started up - firmware versions not matched error - or some such error. Had to update again. Thankfully only took 5 minutes.

Took off without lowering the front legs.... doh. Thought gimble looked low - but thankfully no contact with ground. Tried again and made some video and photos to check out later.

Couldn't find videos or photos on the SD card. Make sure you switch from internal memory to SD. how do I get off internal? Is it as simple as plug and play the bird to the PC using a cable and just copy it off? Or do i I need to install this DJI assistant tool to transfer off?

Yep it's just a case of connecting to your computer via the usb-c to usb cable and it will show up as an external drive, files can then be copied over (same with internal storage). Alternatively, if you want lower quality versions on your phone straight away (even just to see how the shots look) you can download them through the DJ app, by going to the 'edit' tab. You can download the cached streamed version without being connected to the drone, or if you want the original version (still lower res than direct from SD I believe) then while you're connected to the drone, go to the editor then press 'download original video',

Edit: and yes Anthony Viscomi says above, a lot of people just take the card out and put into a card reader. This is my preferred method since I have a usb 3.1 usb-c card reader, so the transfers speeds are a lot faster, especially useful when you have a 15 min 4k 100mb/s video! Although since the quad is usb-c it's fairly fast using a usb-c to usb-c cable anyway

Got my MA today.

Grats

Just charge everything (including the phone) up fully before you fly. I've just ordered a fourth battery because after three batteries worth of flight I still have 50%+ left on the controller, even with it trickle charging my phone. Obviously if it has to charge the phone up from 50% then this will burn down the battery in the controller somewhat. You can also recharge the controller with a power bank if you need to.

Also - because the app checks for firmware updates when you start it up, I presume I cannot put phone into airplane mode until after this check happens?

Correct, unless you wanted to skip firmware updates.

By default these will save to internal storage. To access internal storage, turn the drone on and plug the USB C cable into the back of it (next to the SD card slot).

Thank you all for the helpful info above. I think its great that when you plug in the USB C cable to the bird, you can read from both Internal AND the SD card. I find it very fiddly to get the SD card in and out so might just use this method, even if it takes a few minutes longer and requires the bird to be powered on. no big deal.

Other observation - my i7 laptop with radeon card (3 years ago it was cutting edge) struggles with 4k video :) It tries its best, but some artifacts and missed frames. Looks perfect when uploaded to youtube though. Need a better machine / video card for 4k video.

Other observation - my i7 laptop with radeon card (3 years ago it was cutting edge) struggles with 4k video :) It tries its best, but some artifacts and missed frames. Looks perfect when uploaded to youtube though. Need a better machine / video card for 4k video.

My desktop that up until now I considered "above passable" (ie: it does everything I want at a reasonable speed, games, music production and rendering, etc etc) basically fell apart loading 4k footage into Premiere Pro and playing it back. It was more like a 1 fps slideshow. Obviously fully rendered everything was fine.

Surface Pro 4 played the 4k videos but not without complaining loudly with its fans.

Time for PC upgrades I think.

Regarding flying with my Air on a commercial flight. And carrying the 3 batteries.
How have guys done this? I imagine it's the same with MP. Does the pressure effect the batteries at all (picturing how my plastic water bottle buckles on descent.)
I know you should charge with fully discharged batteries? Or at least fly them down to 1 led?
Any advice (reassurance) appreciated. Thanks.

Thank you all for the helpful info above. I think its great that when you plug in the USB C cable to the bird, you can read from both Internal AND the SD card. I find it very fiddly to get the SD card in and out so might just use this method, even if it takes a few minutes longer and requires the bird to be powered on. no big deal.

My desktop that up until now I considered "above passable" (ie: it does everything I want at a reasonable speed, games, music production and rendering, etc etc) basically fell apart loading 4k footage into Premiere Pro and playing it back. It was more like a 1 fps slideshow. Obviously fully rendered everything was fine.

Surface Pro 4 played the 4k videos but not without complaining loudly with its fans.

Time for PC upgrades I think.

Have you tried using proxies? I had previously been using Davinchi Resolve on a MacBook Pro and it struggled with 4k footage. Creating proxies down samples the footage to half or even quarter res and it meant playback and timeline scrubbing was super smooth, you can then export back to native 4k

Reactions: synaesthesia
Have you tried using proxies? I had previously been using Davinchi Resolve on a MacBook Pro and it struggled with 4k footage. Creating proxies down samples the footage to half or even quarter res and it meant playback and timeline scrubbing was super smooth, you can then export back to native 4k

I am a super casual with Premiere Pro, I've used it for a total of ~3 hours so far so I'm still getting to grips with it. A quick Google indicates it should be simple enough to set up so I'll give that a go next time I have some footage to play with! It works fine with 1080 footage so proxies is probably the answer I was unaware of - thanks :)

Are proxies (or some equivalent) available in DaVinci Resolve?

I

edit: Also - because the app checks for firmware updates when you start it up, I presume I cannot put phone into airplane mode until after this check happens?
I had no issues at all. With an S8, connected and installed firmware in 10 mins.

I am a super casual with Premiere Pro, I've used it for a total of ~3 hours so far so I'm still getting to grips with it. A quick Google indicates it should be simple enough to set up so I'll give that a go next time I have some footage to play with! It works fine with 1080 footage so proxies is probably the answer I was unaware of - thanks :)

Yeah proxies are definitely possible on Premiere Pro. If your machine handles 1080 no problem then 1/4 res proxies should handle no problem, you probably won’t even notice a difference in quality in the preview window either

Are proxies (or some equivalent) available in DaVinci Resolve?

They are indeed! Just right click on your clips/clips & select ‘create optimised media’. If you want to change what res the proxies are created at just go to project settings (bottom right) then ‘general options’ and you’ll see there’s an ‘optimised media’ section, where you can select, one quarter, one eight etc. Just make sure ‘use optimised media if available’ is checked under the playback options too. Good guide here:

Faster Editing in DaVinci Resolve 12.5 Using Optimized Media

Reactions: Brojon
Yeah proxies are definitely possible on Premiere Pro. If your machine handles 1080 no problem then 1/4 res proxies should handle no problem, you probably won’t even notice a difference in quality in the preview window either

They are indeed! Just right click on your clips/clips & select ‘create optimised media’. If you want to change what res the proxies are created at just go to project settings (bottom right) then ‘general options’ and you’ll see there’s an ‘optimised media’ section, where you can select, one quarter, one eight etc. Just make sure ‘use optimised media if available’ is checked under the playback options too. Good guide here:

Faster Editing in DaVinci Resolve 12.5 Using Optimized Media

Awesome! Thx Fmoots [emoji106]

Find out how to do debug mode it's very simple. Then you can turn off charge while connected I believe and be done with that worry.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom