DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Day of Boating. Mavic Air and MPP (which two color profiles look the most the same)

BingErr

Reactions
I took the Mavic Air and Mavic Pro Platinum boating 2 weeks ago. Mavic Air footage is at the beginning. MPP at the end. I'm not good at color grading so what color profiles should I use on each drone to match footage better than this video. MPP I used "none" on color profile and it looks very washed out.

'Washed out' (a flat profile) is always preferable to baked in oversaturated, contrasty with blown highlights and crushed blacks. A little contrast and saturation is all you need for those flatter clips. Everything I shoot whether it's a professional video camera, DSLR, GoPro, M2P, etc. is set to a very flat profile. Whatever video editor you use, view a couple YouTube tutorials and you'll know all you need to know to get a good look from a flat profile. Trying to recover baked-in blown highlights and crushed shadows is not possible with the cameras on these drones. The compression scheme is not good enough to do much grading. It'll result in a lot of color noise in mids and darks and digital artifacting.

Reactions: BingErr
'Washed out' (a flat profile) is always preferable to baked in oversaturated, contrasty with blown highlights and crushed blacks. A little contrast and saturation is all you need for those flatter clips. Everything I shoot whether it's a professional video camera, DSLR, GoPro, M2P, etc. is set to a very flat profile. Whatever video editor you use, view a couple YouTube tutorials and you'll know all you need to know to get a good look from a flat profile. Trying to recover baked-in blown highlights and crushed shadows is not possible with the cameras on these drones. The compression scheme is not good enough to do much grading. It'll result in a lot of color noise in mids and darks and digital artifacting.
Thanks. Good advice.

A good way to match different cams is to shot in D-Log or with GoPro in Protune and use a LUT which is made for to transfer the flat profile into good colors.
That's my workflow if I have to match Mavic and GoPro material.

Ciao Rob

I took the Mavic Air and Mavic Pro Platinum boating 2 weeks ago. Mavic Air footage is at the beginning. MPP at the end. I'm not good at color grading so what color profiles should I use on each drone to match footage better than this video. MPP I used "none" on color profile and it looks very washed out.

Great shooting and great editing also looks like fun

Both looked good to me. This is always something I have issue with, matching colors in my videos for different sources. Drone (MP), go pro (4 black), Sony a6000 or a6500.

Great footage. I to am a boater from WI. Which Long Lake is that?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929