DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Daytona 500 - drone used by Fox Sports

It’s not a Mavic but Fox Sport is using a drone in their Daytona 500 broadcast. It’s getting some great shots and the announcers have remarked about it’s speed keeping up with the pace car that is traveling 80 mph.
ssshhhhhssss don't tell the [removed by Admin] media! other wise that title is gonna read, "Florida man flys drone over Daytona 500, near miss on the good year blimp!"

LOL! none the less its awesome to see drones being used in a positive light.

Last edited by a moderator:
great news, they probably found out how much cheaper it was to use a drone than a helicopter

great news, they probably found out how much cheaper it was to use a drone than a helicopter
Actually NASCAR has been using drones the last 2 years. I know I have seen them used at Miami Speedway. I do believe FOX is the network that uses them.
I can only imagine the permissions and waivers needed for those prized events. :)

Especially with POTUS on site.
Your right! On a side note. Let’s pray for Ryan Newman that was involved in the big crash at the end of that race.?

ssshhhhhssss don't tell the [removed by Admin] media! other wise that title is gonna read, "Florida man flys drone over Daytona 500, near miss on the good year blimp!"

LOL! none the less its awesome to see drones being used in a positive light.
Since purchasing a drone(s), I have noticed MANY commercials, movies, et cetera, filming with a drone. Pretty cool stuff.

Yeah. I live in Daytona and there was a 30 mile no fly zone when the potus here.

While it's perfectly normal to have a Presidential TFR (VIP) in place where ever our POTUS is, there is always a Special Event/VIP TFR for the Daytona 500. And it's 30NM/10NM just like any other Special Event TFR. It just happens this one was both POTUS and Daytona 500. IIRC they always call it VIP for Daytona but I'd have to go back and dig through some older stats to confirm how they call it.

Reactions: E90RAW
Here is the TFR for the Daytona 500 in 2004 (in part , it's much more detailed that this snippet):

......PURSUANT TO TITLE 14, SECTION 91.141 OF THE CODE OF FEDERAL REGULATIONS AIRCRAFT FLIGHT OPERATIONS ARE PROHIBITED WITHIN 30 NMR UP TO BUT NOT INCLUDING FL180 OF 291048N 0810329W OR THE OMN159007.9 FROM 0402151710 (1210 LOCAL 02/15/04) UNTIL 0402152100 (1600 LOCAL 02/15/04); WITHIN 10 NMR UP TO BUT NOT INCLUDING FL180 OF 291048N0810329W OR THE OMN159007.9 FROM 0402151710 (1210 LOCAL 02/15/04) UNTIL 0402152100 (1600 LOCAL 02/15/04); .....

Reactions: E90RAW
All of our local news station have switched to DJI drones for their aerial coverage this year. Helicopters are a major drain on aerial news coverage and it has reduced news stations budgets tremendously. I think it has been a good move for them!

Let's keep this thread ON TOPIC folks!!

I've cleaned up from the "Clutter" next time we'll just shut it down.

Allen

Fox is a leading broadcaster of Drone/UAV coverage. I believe they tout they have the most licensed FAA Part 107 pilots than other networks.

Just follow the money, TFR's (like this one) are not about safety at an event, it's about the network broadcasting licenses and money. If it were really about safety not even the networks could use drones at large events.

Reactions: svickstc
Just follow the money, TFR's (like this one) are not about safety at an event, it's about the network broadcasting licenses and money. If it were really about safety not even the networks could use drones at large events.

Not even close. If the networks had that much pull you'd never be able to fly a drone EVER.

Would you be ok with a random UAS flying eye level if you was at a sporting event knowing there are no bar for entry?

Reactions: Maviac
Not even close. If the networks had that much pull you'd never be able to fly a drone EVER.

Would you be ok with a random UAS flying eye level if you was at a sporting event knowing there are no bar for entry?

Your comment reminded me of this video:

• Haha
Reactions: JS1600
Your comment reminded me of this video:

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking of as well. Good share :)

Great shot with the TP! Looks like a Chinese knockoff of an Inspire. Charmin for the win! :p

I'm pretty sure it's a Yuneec Q500
IMG_0510.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters