DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DC-Metro No-Drone Region -- Any Exceptions?

jclarkw

Reactions
I've read about the restricted zones around Regan National Airport. I'm in suburban MD, well inside the 15-mi "no-drone" circle (if I understand it correctly). I have a Mavic Air 2 still in its box (holiday present), and I'm wondering if I should just return it. Two specific questions:

1) Can I even try the thing out inside my house, or will it shut down as soon as it gets a GPS signal (which, based on my cell phone, would be most of the house)?

2) What I really wanted the drone for was to inspect the roof of my house, which is old, too steep for me to climb, but well under a tall tree canopy that surrounds all houses in the immediate area (i.e., there's no way that this would interfere with any other aircraft or national-security operations). Is this really absolutely forbidden, or are there exceptions to this drone prohibition?

Frustrated! -- jclarkw

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Welcome to the Air 2 Family.

There is no harm to trying to fly in the house to see how it all works and the seeing the screens you get, im curious to know what does show up on the display. Than you can post some pictures and we can give you some advice as to what you might be able to do.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in the Rain and Land on the Water.

Reactions: Thomas B
Pretty much everything in DC is locked out. See map from DJI Flysafe.

1609990220333.png

There are plenty of great areas outside of this zone to fly! Look at the map and draw lines to places you have never been to before!
I live north of the "zone" and I been haveing a blast the past couple of years flying in areas that I have never been to before. And in these current times we all need a breath of fresh air and aperication of things around us

Reactions: tlswift58
There are plenty of great areas outside of this zone to fly...
Mark -- Agreed, but right now I want to know if I can check out the drone at home (obviously this would have to be indoors, if that can be made to work???) before going on the road to a less convenient spot to explore. -- jclarkw

Mark -- Agreed, but right now I want to know if I can check out the drone at home (obviously this would have to be indoors, if that can be made to work???) before going on the road to a less convenient spot to explore. -- jclarkw
I have to assume that you would be locked out indoors or out and would not be able to get generic authority in DC proper. There may be a work around if you can somehow find the proper authority in DC to provide written authorization to allow you to fly in a limited area at a limited altitude which you could forward to DJI Flysafe for a custom unlock. There has to be an authority in DC for drone flight permits. After all, in a lot of TV shows/movies in DC we see b-roll aerial shots of DC all the time. I'm sure there are permits available if you find and contact the right authorities.

Reactions: jclarkw
I have to assume that you would be locked out indoors or out and would not be able to get generic authority in DC proper. There may be a work around if you can somehow find the proper authority in DC to provide written authorization to allow you to fly in a limited area at a limited altitude which you could forward to DJI Flysafe for a custom unlock...
Hi, vindibona1 -- Thanks for the useful suggestion. I will try to track down an appropriate authority locally. Maybe somebody else here has some idea how to find same?

Meanwhile, how about this possibly hair-brained idea: Don't connect the Mavic Air 2 remote to a cell phone or the DJI Fly app at all. Use DJI Assistant 2 to download and install firmware updates through direct connection to a computer (as instructed in the manual). Then try to fly indoors with the remote only. Might this obviate the geofence, albeit without live vision?

(After all, the real-time view from the camera isn't adding much when the drone is within 20 ft or so of me and indoors.) -- jclarkw

Meanwhile, how about this possibly hair-brained idea: Don't connect the Mavic Air 2 remote to a cell phone or the DJI Fly app at all. Use DJI Assistant 2 to download and install firmware updates through direct connection to a computer (as instructed in the manual). Then try to fly indoors with the remote only. Might this obviate the geofence, albeit without live vision?

(After all, the real-time view from the camera isn't adding much when the drone is within 20 ft or so of me and indoors.) -- jclarkw
I think the geofencing is done through the controller, not the phone. I don't know for sure. I'm not sure how installing firmware through DJI assistant is any different than wirelessly? I'd love to see some independent write firmware that bypasses DJI entirely, eliminating geofencing.

I think the geofencing is done through the controller, not the phone. I don't know for sure. I'm not sure how installing firmware through DJI assistant is any different than wirelessly? I'd love to see some independent write firmware that bypasses DJI entirely, eliminating geofencing.
Correct. The app does some front end reporting but ultimately the AC firmware will also enforce zones.

Area looks to mostly be an enhanced warning zone though, with authorization zones for runway approaches.
You only need to check a few boxes for enhanced warning. Authorization zones take a bit more effort but can be unlocked.

EDIT: just checked zones firsthand in Fly (post image is unreadable zoomed in on my phone) and it is indeed restricted, despite embedded altitude and authorization zones. You'd have to contact DJI for an unlock after getting legal authorization.
Or they may give you 100ft or so for your home in order to be able to fly indoors.
Flysafe.dji.com

If you had part 107 you could request an airspace authorization/waiver for your roof inspection. It appears recreational flyers cannot apply for these. Perhaps you could find someone with a 107 in your area to help.

If you had part 107 you could request an airspace authorization/waiver for your roof inspection. It appears recreational flyers cannot apply for these. Perhaps you could find someone with a 107 in your area to help.

This is more than an airspace issue: the DC area is basically under a permanent TFR, it's far more complicated to get permission to fly there, even with a Part 107.

I've read about the restricted zones around Regan National Airport. I'm in suburban MD, well inside the 15-mi "no-drone" circle (if I understand it correctly). I have a Mavic Air 2 still in its box (holiday present), and I'm wondering if I should just return it. Two specific questions:

1) Can I even try the thing out inside my house, or will it shut down as soon as it gets a GPS signal (which, based on my cell phone, would be most of the house)?

Yes, it will start to automatically land as soon as the GPS calculates your position and figures out you are in the DC TFR.

2) What I really wanted the drone for was to inspect the roof of my house, which is old, too steep for me to climb, but well under a tall tree canopy that surrounds all houses in the immediate area (i.e., there's no way that this would interfere with any other aircraft or national-security operations). Is this really absolutely forbidden, or are there exceptions to this drone prohibition?

Frustrated! -- jclarkw

Unfortunately there is no exception to the rules for doing a roof inspection at low altitude on your own property.

Thanks, all, for helpful information regarding my no-fly situation. FYI I sent an email to FAA through the following site, specifically about the "Exception for Recreational Flyers," requesting information about inspecting the roof of my house:

Here's the response I got the same day:

"Recreational Flying in the Flight Restricted Zone is strictly prohibited. If you were to obtain a Remote Pilot Certificate with a sUAS Rating, then you could submit a TSA Waiver request. To learn more about, the TSA process visit General Aviation | Transportation Security Administration."

I note that there is also a link there for "Part 107 Waivers," which might be the way to request one if you have a UAV pilot's license. Best Regards! -- jclarkw

Reactions: dawgpilot
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS