DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Debating selling - but not sure if I will regret it.

naiku

Reactions
Lately I have been debating selling my Mavic 2 Pro, but I am not sure if I will regret it. Ultimately, I know only I can make the decision but figured I'd start this topic in case any of you have debated selling, but either kept your drone or sold it. While I realize opportunity to fly in the winter are limited (rain, snow, wind) at the same time, even in good weather most times I only get to fly around my property, which gets dull after a time.

I like to hike, but 99% of where I hike flying a drone is prohibited, if I head into town, there are also any number of restrictions, not least of which people, either that I simply cannot fly above or that are likely to interfere. So, the drone just sits. I had planned to get my part 107, but looking at realtor listings most of them already have drone shots already (and I question the legality of them, given I find it very hard to believe this many realtors have FAA107 much less even registered their drone). Additionally, I have read of times where getting the 107 removes all of the fun from flying the drone because it goes from being a hobby to work.

On the flip side, I have entered a couple local photo competitions and placed in the top 3, the village I live in has chosen a photo of mine to be used for submitting to get historical status, a family friend asked me to take pictures of their house. Those things make flying enjoyable, but they are just few and far between.

My concern is if I sell it, do I end up regretting it. If I sold it and bought a new drone, it might end up being a Mavic Air 2 or if one gets released eventually a Pro 3 (although having used DJI Fly on a Mavic Mini, I will miss DJI Go 4). But, it just sitting in the bag and not flying is not doing anything either.

Have any of you gone through the same thought process? I assume if you are still posting here you decided to keep the drone,.

Reactions: A.O.
So, I too am thinking about selling my drone set up (MA2 with iPad mini5) but for entirely different reasoning. I also have only flown at my place but I have 100 acres here with open, woods, water, trails etc so I am not yet tired of doing so, flying at home that is. My reasoning is I want the DJI FPV set up, I've only had mine since November 2020 and have a bunch of cash invested already and seeing as I'm retired and not made of money an additional $1500 + is a big outlay. If I were to sell my current set up it would make it less panful to get the FPV... BUT... would I regret selling the MA2 ?
Hmmmm, what to do.. for now I'm just playing the waiting game... we shall see.

@naiku as i am unaware of your location ,but drone flying in general does tend to be seasonal in many parts of the world ,due to the extremes of weather between summer and winter
here in the UK it is often very difficult to even plan a few days ahead ,due to the weathers ever changing patterns
unless you are really no longer in love with drone flying, and do not have the time to make the most of any good weather to travel to find places to fly ,then i can guarantee that there will come a time when you do regret selling your drone ,at some point in the future

@A.O. if you really must go down the FPV route i would advise you to hang on to your current setup till you have tried it and are sure its for you ,there are so many challenges to flying FPV properly ,and its not to everyone's taste

So, I too am thinking about selling my drone set up (MA2 with iPad mini5) but for entirely different reasoning. I also have only flown at my place but I have 100 acres here with open, woods, water, trails etc so I am not yet tired of doing so, flying at home that is. My reasoning is I want the DJI FPV set up, I've only had mine since November 2020 and have a bunch of cash invested already and seeing as I'm retired and not made of money an additional $1500 + is a big outlay. If I were to sell my current set up it would make it less panful to get the FPV..

Just 5 acres here, surrounded by woods but that is also other peoples property, so not realistic to do much flying over it other than passing over. Luckily for me (or unluckily) as awesome as I think FPV drones are, I get awful motion sickness so much like VR, I won't be using an FPV drone anytime soon!!

@naiku as i am unaware of your location ,but drone flying in general does tend to be seasonal in many parts of the world ,due to the extremes of weather between summer and winter
here in the UK it is often very difficult to even plan a few days ahead ,due to the weathers ever changing patterns
unless you are really no longer in love with drone flying, and do not have the time to make the most of any good weather to travel to find places to fly ,then i can guarantee that there will come a time when you do regret selling your drone ,at some point in the future

UK expat residing in Virginia.... I have flown my drone a couple times this winter when weather allowed, was cool to get some shots of the snow on the ground. It's definitely not easy planning due to weather (another of my hobbies is astrophotography, the weather can be maddening there as well). I love flying it when I can, I just don't get enough chances to and not much time to travel places to use it either. I'll think on it for a few days, maybe try to get out and fly it this week somewhere.

Reactions: old man mavic
@naiku its not just drones ,i think most of us over the years have discovered a hobby that we like the look of ,we go in there like a kid in a sweet shop have to have all the gear ,and then some ,a couple of years go by ,and life gets in the way ,we spot some other pastime ,and bingo that fantastic hobby we used to love ,dies a death ,in the end its something that only you can decide ,
do what ever makes you happy

@A.O. if you really must go down the FPV route i would advise you to hang on to your current setup till you have tried it and are sure its for you ,there are so many challenges to flying FPV properly ,and its not to everyone's taste
Which is the good thing about the DJI FPV drone, it flies both ways!!
Still thinking about keeping my MA2 if I do it though.

Reactions: old man mavic
Lately I have been debating selling my Mavic 2 Pro, but I am not sure if I will regret it. Ultimately, I know only I can make the decision but figured I'd start this topic in case any of you have debated selling, but either kept your drone or sold it. While I realize opportunity to fly in the winter are limited (rain, snow, wind) at the same time, even in good weather most times I only get to fly around my property, which gets dull after a time.

I like to hike, but 99% of where I hike flying a drone is prohibited, if I head into town, there are also any number of restrictions, not least of which people, either that I simply cannot fly above or that are likely to interfere. So, the drone just sits. I had planned to get my part 107, but looking at realtor listings most of them already have drone shots already (and I question the legality of them, given I find it very hard to believe this many realtors have FAA107 much less even registered their drone). Additionally, I have read of times where getting the 107 removes all of the fun from flying the drone because it goes from being a hobby to work.

On the flip side, I have entered a couple local photo competitions and placed in the top 3, the village I live in has chosen a photo of mine to be used for submitting to get historical status, a family friend asked me to take pictures of their house. Those things make flying enjoyable, but they are just few and far between.

My concern is if I sell it, do I end up regretting it. If I sold it and bought a new drone, it might end up being a Mavic Air 2 or if one gets released eventually a Pro 3 (although having used DJI Fly on a Mavic Mini, I will miss DJI Go 4). But, it just sitting in the bag and not flying is not doing anything either.

Have any of you gone through the same thought process? I assume if you are still posting here you decided to keep the drone,.
This is a very personal, and individual decision that only you, as an individual, can make! We cannot walk in your shoes. Sounds to me like you really want us to talk you back into keeping the drone but your heart and common sense tells you to sell it. I see that there are now 131,124 members of this forum. That is the exact number or opinions you are looking for!

For my own personal opinion, if you want it, I loooove my Mavic 2 Pro. Living in Miami gives me the weather to fly almost anytime, unlike many of our members who have bad weather considerations. I also do a lot of traveling, and I now plan my travels with droning in mind to do travelogues for myself and my friends. So just look into your heart and do what it tells you to do. Our opinions do not matter at all.

Dale

Reactions: naiku and A.O.
FPV? I personally would go low budget at first. They are not camera drones.

I’m looking for a Mavic Pro 2 with the Hasselblad camera. So if that’s what your drone is, please hit me up if you decide to sell. Thanks!

But the DJI FPV on normal / sport modes flies just like a camera drone... with the ability to go crazy in manual mode... hence the allure!
No kidding? I did not know that. Thanks for that heads up!

No kidding? I did not know that. Thanks for that heads up!
From what I understand the camera is not as good as some of the camera drones, but I'm not a droniographer (just made that word up) just a flier for fun and make the videos for fun also, so I think it fits me well..
Still trying to figure out if I want to invest another $1500 + in another drone.

Reactions: Zeprider

Watch this video....

While I think custom firmware is cool, for me it does not really change a thing...

I have only ever had an issue once with an NFZ.
It already flies further than I can see it, so no need to extend the range.
I primarily use it for still photography, so increased speed is wasted on me.
Altitude limit - I've hit the 400' altitude ceiling maybe 3 or 4 times. Typically, I rarely fly over 200-250' up.

So, again, it's a cool option for those that want to increase functionality of their drone, for me, it does not add anything that would sway me either way.

Reactions: A.O.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent