DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Decrease Active Tracking Damping?

3DTOPO

Reactions
I have found that the Mavic Pro does a fairly good job following if the subject is at around walking speed (on curvy roads/trails with bushes and obstacles on the sides). As soon as the subject gets up to any reasonable speed, it follows like a drunk driver. It seems like the damping (of PID) is set way too high to follow at faster speeds. I understand why having a high damping is a good thing for smooth motions, but for my purposes, it is far too over damped and quickly runs into trees (even in fairly wide clearings).

Is there any way to turn down damping for active track? Or will changing any of the other settings enable it to track more aggressively? I need it track the subject with less damping potentially at the the expense of less smooth footage.

Hello,
From my experience what is important is to keep as more as you can stable speed with not very hard acceleration or deceleration.
I have managed to shoot video my rc car in mid speeds, others have shoot jet ski or boats successfully.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the suggestion, however, I am not having problem with acceleration (I am careful to accelerate/decelerate gently). The problem is once the subject is moving, the Mavic is headed for the trees - its tracking is simply way too over-damped. Jet ski's and boats don't have the same issue - they are on a flat plane without any trees around. ;)

Activetracking between trees and wanting to go faster? That's a recipe for disaster.

Thanks for telling me what I already know.

That is why I am asking if there is anyway to make the tracking less sluggish than it is by default. If I could just tweak the D parameter of the PID it would probably work much much better (at the same time making the tracking less smooth).

Besides wanting to tweak the flight PID parameters, I am wondering if any of the settings affect active tracking. For instance, do the Sensitivity settings (e.g. Main Controller Settings -> Advanced Settings -> Sensitivity or Gain Settings or Gimbal Settings - > Advanced Settings, etc. etc.) affect active tracking - or are they only used for manual control?

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143