DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Default 3.5G file size limit?

Heindrich1988

Reactions
Hey guys,

I just went for my first long flight on my MA2 (or any drone for that matter). When I transferred the video recorded from my micro SD to my laptop, I saw that the footage got broken down into multiple 3.5GB files.

I feel like I've missed something blatantly obvious... but how do I adjust the limit for this? I would prefer my entire flight to remain as one single file.

Thanks in advance.

Yes it is called "Cache when recording."

Under the Camera tab.

I turn mine off because I do not want it to go to my device that I am using but just on my SD card.

how do I adjust the limit for this? I would prefer my entire flight to remain as one single file.
There is no way to bypass the file size limit.
You could record for longer if you used a lower resolution rather than 4K..

Reactions: dawgpilot
Is this not got more to do with filesystems having a limit on the size of any one individual file? FAT32 is 4GB.

Yes, this is correct. There are several posts about this. Files are limited to under 4GB, even if you use a file system that can handle larger files. No way to change this. It's an easy merge in any editing software you have.

I've seen this as well, its a known limitation with no consequences, if you merge the two video files into a single video in an editor, its seamless.. you would never see that your watching separate files, and once you edit it, you can save/export/share what is usually a smaller file as you of course take out un-wanted sequences that you do not need and if you select a different file format, it will probably compress to be a smaller video file overall..

Last edited:
Last edited:
Makes no difference. I'm using 64GB cards formatted ExFAT and files are 3.5GB for Mini and Mavic.
It's how DJI set up Linux, probably to maintain a common denominator for FAT32 and ExFAT. Less chance for file corruption in limiting file size.

Now if only DJI would have them all automatically stop recording gracefully if you inadvertently powered down while still recording.

Makes no difference. I'm using 64GB cards formatted ExFAT and files are 3.5GB for Mini and Mavic.
It's how DJI set up Linux, probably to maintain a common denominator for FAT32 and ExFAT. Less chance for file corruption in limiting file size.

Now if only DJI would have them all automatically stop recording gracefully if you inadvertently powered down while still recording.
I am not sure of any recording system that responds well to abrupt power off's. there may indeed be some, but usually, its a corrupting event if you lose power during recording. There is no way to issue a cmd to close the file cleanly.

Just to be clear about this, DJI doesn't explicitly impose this file size limitation, nor does the file system itself. It's the embedded video encoder that only addresses 32-bit space, and therefore can't go beyond the 4GB size. The fact that the encoder is still stuck in 32-bit-world has something to do with regulations regarding video recording quality, although I can't seem to locate any particulars on that right now.

First the file size limit isn't because of a file system limit. DJI uses the "exFat" file system when formatting the card. The max file size limit under this file system is 16 EB (Exabyte). This limit is imposed by DJI and can be best explained by a GoPro support page as GoPro also breaks up long videos into multiple 4GB files which GoPro calls "Chapters".

From GoPro Support:
Question
How are chapters created with GoPro cameras?

Answer
When taking a video recording, the camera will automatically segment into a new file chapter once it has reached a certain size. These files when put together with editing software will play seamlessly as if they were never chaptered, and when played back from the camera directly will also play through as one continuation.

This chaptering is intentional and there is no way to keep the camera from doing so. Chapters are divided like this so in the event of a jolt or crash that causes a file to become corrupted, only a portion of your video will be effected and not the whole thing. While there is a file recovery feature in the camera, chaptering is a precaution step just in case the feature is unable to fix the video.

Source: GoPro Camera File Chaptering Information

Reactions: Macinfo
Yes, this is correct. There are several posts about this. Files are limited to under 4GB, even if you use a file system that can handle larger files. No way to change this. It's an easy merge in any editing software you have.
yes you cant see any joins or glitches .... ;)

can i ask why you want them in one large file ?
when you edit them its seamless anyway !

Just now learning how to edit photos. Haven’t tried stitching videos together yet, that’s another semester!

Reactions: Suzygs1000
Just now learning how to edit photos. Haven’t tried stitching videos together yet, that’s another semester!
There is nothing really hard about this, in any video editor I am aware of, when you move the pieces of a long video into the editing timeline, they are instantly "stitched" together as you put it, if you played it back, from one section to another, you'd see nothing, its like its all one file.. It's nothing to learn, it's all done for you in any good video editor.

There is nothing really hard about this, in any video editor I am aware of, when you move the pieces of a long video into the editing timeline, they are instantly "stitched" together as you put it, if you played it back, from one section to another, you'd see nothing, its like its all one file.. It's nothing to learn, it's all done for you in any good video editor.
so us pensioners need to buy a video editor so we can have one video?

No, you can use the editor in Fly. Or there are many free editors. DaVinci resolve is free and one of the best!!
Well, I've been playing around all afternoon with about 5 different editors, and I'm buggered if I can join the videos. surely there must be another way. what about 4k and only 15 frames per second ...

Avidemux is free, multiplatform, you can just throw all of the clips in in order, leave both audio/video to Copy, set output format to MP4 and save. Done.

LosslessCut is another.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll