DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dell Webb restrictions in CA

Chip D

Reactions
I have a friend who lives in a Del Webb community in Lincoln CA. He forwarded to me their association news, and he knows I have a drone. Here's their new policy:

"Therefore be it resolved that: The Board affirms and adopts the policy that small unmanned aircraft systems as defined above may be for for recreational/hobby use within Sun City at these sites only according to the following criteria:
1. Sites/Times to be determined at the discretion of Administrations:
a. Del Webb Field
b. Croquet Field, Sports Plaza
2. Criteria
a. Pilots: All Recreational or Hobby sUAS pilots who fly their unmanned aircraft within Sun City shall be members in good standing of the Unmanned Aircraft Group. This Association sponsored group, through its bylaws, shall identify criteria for pilot credentials, insurance specific to sUAS, etc. etc.
b. Privacy: sUAS may not operate over private property, record or capture images of any person or property with the express permission of the person or property owner" etc. etc. etc.

They also cite California Civil code 1708.8 which essentially prohibits drones from flying into the airspace over private property, for the purpose of capturing an image, without permission."

I certainly don't want to get my friend in trouble, and I would never do stupid things like flying low over residents/people walking etc. etc., so next time I visit, I'll make sure the drone is not flying. But it brings up a question as to whether or not Sun City can keep me from flying over any part of their very large complex, as long as I have launched it off their property. And I question that California civil code can restrict me from flying pretty much anywhere. Thoughts?

Chip D - Omaha, NE

Tell your friend come here in Roseville, there's a lot of open space here.

Last edited:
Reactions: MaxBotev
I am an investment owner (not a resident) of property in Sun City Lincoln Hills. The board is largely people who have little to do with their time but try to rule by fiat. This is but one small example of their needless micro-management The have no authority to rule the sky over the development and they have no authority over you, just homeowners (but to save your friend headaches maybe you don't admit to knowing anyone inside the development if anyone asks - unlikely as that may be).

Just take off outside the development and fly responsibly.

However, for a better experience, I'd drive up 15 minutes up I-80 (Auburn and beyond) and find lots of crazy great places to fly. Whitewater rivers, canyons, lakes, awesome bridges (find Foresthill and "No Hands Bridge"), wildlife, etc. and generally without many airports to mess with.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hotelone
They can make rules dictating where you can take off or land. However, I believe only the FAA has the legal authority to regulate the airspace.

I am an investment owner (not a resident) of property in Sun City Lincoln Hills. The board is largely people who have little to do with their time but try to rule by fiat. This is but one small example of their needless micro-management The have no authority to rule the sky over the development and they have no authority over you, just homeowners (but to save your friend headaches maybe you don't admit to knowing anyone inside the development if anyone asks - unlikely as that may be).

Just take off outside the development and fly responsibly.

However, for a better experience, I'd drive up 15 minutes up I-80 (Auburn and beyond) and find lots of crazy great places to fly. Whitewater rivers, canyons, lakes, awesome bridges (find Foresthill and "No Hands Bridge"), wildlife, etc. and generally without many airports to mess with.

Yes, I totally agree with you. When I was out there a few months ago I took off from my friends place and flew around in the late evening and at 150' you couldn't hear a sound. I'm sure they are just worried about a perceived privacy issue. :)
Actually being a railroad buff, I've done some nice flights down Bloomers Cut over by Auburn. Thanks though.

Chip D

I got a letter from my HOA after *one* cranky neighbor complained. I actually heard him yell at kids "Stay off my lawn!". He also used to work for the HOA driving around finding violations. A real piece of work.
The manager couldn't site any rule, so they just labeled it a nuisance and told me not to fly it in the community. I asked what the nuisance was and they said "noise". Then I asked if they are banning leaf blowers, lawn lowers, motorcycles, pressure washers, power tools, etc. etc as they make just as much (if not more) noise than my Mavic. The manager said "he'd get back to me". Haven't heard back so I keep flying. (Note I'm not being an AH -- I go up from my backyard and out over the swamp - noise is there for 20 seconds, a bit longer when landing.)

Reactions: Hollow Dog
It should come as no surprise that more and more communities & HOAs are banning drones. There exists a “screw them” attitude here amongst so many pseudo aviators who think their little toy gives them carte blanch to rule the skies, violate FARs, irritate and harass people, and violate any reasonable expectation of privacy on privately owned property.

I'm up in Nevada City, about 30 miles north of Auburn, near Lincoln. The scenery does improve greatly as you head up the hill this way. There's an incredible valley about 20 miles north of here that I have been flying for years. Not to take this off-topic, as I hate HOAs... Just sayin' that you have some great flying options nearby.

It should come as no surprise that more and more communities & HOAs are banning drones. There exists a “screw them” attitude here amongst so many pseudo aviators who think their little toy gives them carte blanch to rule the skies, violate FARs, irritate and harass people, and violate any reasonable expectation of privacy on privately owned property.

I find most people on this site promote responsible flying as do I. Nothing said on this thread suggests it is a “screw them” attitude. Resistance to over zealous regulation by those with little authority to do so and protection of rights is honorable, necessary and rooted in the great American tradition.

In regards to your offensive assumption re pseudo aviators, I am a 25 year licensed pilot. Maybe I should put a picture of me in a cockpit to make my opinion have more weight and credibility.

Yeah, really sucks when people irritate and harass people. You wouldn't know ANYTHING about that, would you Danny Boy? LOLOLOLOLOLOL. SAD!

Do you own a drone?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calezu