DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Desperate Help needed to try locate Mavic Mini drone

MAK-UK

Reactions
Hi all, I hope you are all well in this time of COVID.

I would like some feedback please on what exactly went on with my sons 3rd flight with his new Mavic Mini which has now gone missing.

Home return point altitude set to 90 meters Son said to me.

I have uploaded the flight route from take off to the last point it was shown at an altitude of 66 mts -0.5 m/s 0.25 seconds into the flight he got an high wind warning return to home so he asked his sister again what was the wind speed around Prescot Merseyside on her iPhone mobile and it was showing 19mph for our area that day when the drone was at H 30 D 61

I don’t understand the pattern it took and as my son is totally new and his first time using a Mavic Mini drone because I was inside the house he must of panicked not really knowing what was Going on only seeing all the alerts on the screen. To cut a long story short as you can see from the short flight video recording the drone was all over the place but my son did say soon as he seen the alert for unable to auto return to home he did it manually but as you can see another alert shows 1.48 mins into the flight with a weak signal antenna alert so was this because of my son not pointing the controller in the right direction or was the houses blocking the signal.

2.07 mins into the flight and you can see the drone heading home but the it gets side shifted until 2.35 mins into the flight then it is flying in a backwards Position until 2.51 mins into the flight at an altitude of between H 80 - 63 then at 2.53 mins it turns into the other direction onto its final flight path which looks like it’s dropping altitude rapidly until it reaches 3.26 mins into the flight and again the drone turns facing backwards while travelling at H 45 D 310 meters then at 3.27 mins into the flight the “FAIL SAFE MODE“ in progress alert kicks in.

The drone was hovering at an altitude of 89 H meters 378 D meters from Home Point at 3.45 mins on the video then it shows it falling in altitude at a rate of -1.7 then -0.5 then it stops falling in altitude at H 86 meters to me it looks as if the drone tried to hover again the rapidly drops to H 66 meters then after that it went missing and only the last gps point shows where it could of landed or fell but within a few minutes we got in the car and drove round to the last location on the flight recording map and it’s waste land fenced off very high from new build pensioner bungalow homes and we searched for hours along the perimeter fence and in the highish grass also we looked at the back of the waste land towards the houses that back onto this land spoke to a few people who let us search their gardens but no drone in sight.

There is two trees very high ones but the last location on the flight map shows it away from the trees on the arrow marker location of the drone so this is so frustrating because we drove to the last location within 2 minutes nobody was there on the waste land we jumped over searched and searched but absolutely no drone in sight so could it possibly at the last arrow marker location at an altitude of H 66 meters dropped Straight to the ground or could it of blown say another 10 or 20 meters away or even further at the point of total loss communication with the drone.

I have a pro metal detector that can seek different metals and I was thinking because of the copper rotor motors would it help locate if we have missed this drone being mini in the overgrown grass because it’s not about the money the drone cost but I am dying to know where it ended as I just got myself into investigator analysis mode and won’t stop until I find it also I have made posters offering £100 reward if anyone finds it and I’m not bothered if it’s smashes as long as I can identify the drone serial number with the original box etc

I appreciate all your feedback and even the slightest bit of intel on the flight map of what went wrong and if you think it’s dropped rapidly to the ground or carried on flying when the last point of contact was made at 66 meters altitude.

Thank you so much in advance for you help.

Best regards

Mark

Attachments

• 78D336A4-35DA-460B-8506-F88F7DC79DB5.png
    78D336A4-35DA-460B-8506-F88F7DC79DB5.png
    5.1 MB · Views: 42
  • EDC539F4-2B80-47BD-9115-9CE7D1E67024.png
    EDC539F4-2B80-47BD-9115-9CE7D1E67024.png
    5.5 MB · Views: 43
  • 006C5A0F-B975-469E-8891-C6E2B1FF7D80.png
    006C5A0F-B975-469E-8891-C6E2B1FF7D80.png
    5 MB · Views: 35
  • 2929CFCB-F7B9-4486-8727-1CC6B687639F.png
    2929CFCB-F7B9-4486-8727-1CC6B687639F.png
    5.3 MB · Views: 34
  • 8B738CCE-A8CE-4611-A64E-890231083ABE.png
    8B738CCE-A8CE-4611-A64E-890231083ABE.png
    5 MB · Views: 34
Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
I appreciate all your feedback and even the slightest bit of intel on the flight map of what went wrong and if you think it’s dropped rapidly to the ground or carried on flying when the last point of contact was made at 66 meters altitude.
The recorded flight data is what's needed to dig into this.
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.

Hi all, I hope you are all well in this time of COVID.

I would like some feedback please on what exactly went on with my sons 3rd flight with his new Mavic Mini which has now gone missing.

Home return point altitude set to 90 meters Son said to me.

I have uploaded the flight route from take off to the last point it was shown at an altitude of 66 mts -0.5 m/s 0.25 seconds into the flight he got an high wind warning return to home so he asked his sister again what was the wind speed around Prescot Merseyside on her iPhone mobile and it was showing 19mph for our area that day when the drone was at H 30 D 61

I don’t understand the pattern it took and as my son is totally new and his first time using a Mavic Mini drone because I was inside the house he must of panicked not really knowing what was Going on only seeing all the alerts on the screen. To cut a long story short as you can see from the short flight video recording the drone was all over the place but my son did say soon as he seen the alert for unable to auto return to home he did it manually but as you can see another alert shows 1.48 mins into the flight with a weak signal antenna alert so was this because of my son not pointing the controller in the right direction or was the houses blocking the signal.

2.07 mins into the flight and you can see the drone heading home but the it gets side shifted until 2.35 mins into the flight then it is flying in a backwards Position until 2.51 mins into the flight at an altitude of between H 80 - 63 then at 2.53 mins it turns into the other direction onto its final flight path which looks like it’s dropping altitude rapidly until it reaches 3.26 mins into the flight and again the drone turns facing backwards while travelling at H 45 D 310 meters then at 3.27 mins into the flight the “FAIL SAFE MODE“ in progress alert kicks in.

The drone was hovering at an altitude of 89 H meters 378 D meters from Home Point at 3.45 mins on the video then it shows it falling in altitude at a rate of -1.7 then -0.5 then it stops falling in altitude at H 86 meters to me it looks as if the drone tried to hover again the rapidly drops to H 66 meters then after that it went missing and only the last gps point shows where it could of landed or fell but within a few minutes we got in the car and drove round to the last location on the flight recording map and it’s waste land fenced off very high from new build pensioner bungalow homes and we searched for hours along the perimeter fence and in the highish grass also we looked at the back of the waste land towards the houses that back onto this land spoke to a few people who let us search their gardens but no drone in sight.

There is two trees very high ones but the last location on the flight map shows it away from the trees on the arrow marker location of the drone so this is so frustrating because we drove to the last location within 2 minutes nobody was there on the waste land we jumped over searched and searched but absolutely no drone in sight so could it possibly at the last arrow marker location at an altitude of H 66 meters dropped Straight to the ground or could it of blown say another 10 or 20 meters away or even further at the point of total loss communication with the drone.

I have a pro metal detector that can seek different metals and I was thinking because of the copper rotor motors would it help locate if we have missed this drone being mini in the overgrown grass because it’s not about the money the drone cost but I am dying to know where it ended as I just got myself into investigator analysis mode and won’t stop until I find it also I have made posters offering £100 reward if anyone finds it and I’m not bothered if it’s smashes as long as I can identify the drone serial number with the original box etc

Thank you so much in advance for you help.

Best regards

Mark
Forgive me if I insult your intelligence but,
Did you try to power up the DJI fly app while connected to the controller before connecting the aircraft go to your "profile" and select "find my drone" ?

Hi Mark - I'm in Cuddington Cheshire and if this happened yesterday, I flew with Mini 4.30 in afternoon but gave up after 10 minutes due to strong gusts at 100feet ( had warning on controller) brought back manually but had to put in s mode to fight really strong gusts that came up ( pre the thunderstorms?). The UAV app is very good at giving you idea of when you can fly- I'm a "newie" but very careful considering only 249g in windy conditions.
Barrie

Thank you all for the feedback I appreciate it.
My son was flying the drone and He said the wind at that time was 19 mph and he said it would be fine as on the DJI instructions he said it shows don’t fly in winds above 22 mph so he took off and the a few mins into the flight the strong winds alert came up with the can’t return to home point at only H 30 so should this drone of been able to handle at RTH at that point as it was only at the end of the road D 61?

At the last point of contact could the drone as high as H 66 just dropped to the ground or would it of carried on for 10s of meters further when the lost all contact?

Thanks guys for the welcome and info

Mark
Liverpool England UK

unfortunately once the drone does not have the power to overcome the prevailing wind,it will just get blown further and further away downwind,till at some point low battery landing will kick in and it will try to land, as you will appreciate this can be quite some distance from the home point ,obviously if there was a hill that was higher than the drone was at ,then it would just crash into that at some point

At the last point of contact could the drone as high as H 66 just dropped to the ground or would it of carried on for 10s of meters further when the lost all contact?
Flight data is necessary if you want any questions answered.
Without data, people can only make guesses that are quite likely to be wrong.
See post #2 for directions to post flight data.

The recorded flight data is what's needed to dig into this.
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.

HI Meta, Thanks for your help, I am just downloading iTunes now so I can upload the flight log data on here so would I just attach the file in this post?

Thanks

Mark

Hi Mark - I'm in Cuddington Cheshire and if this happened yesterday, I flew with Mini 4.30 in afternoon but gave up after 10 minutes due to strong gusts at 100feet ( had warning on controller) brought back manually but had to put in s mode to fight really strong gusts that came up ( pre the thunderstorms?). The UAV app is very good at giving you idea of when you can fly- I'm a "newie" but very careful considering only 249g in windy conditions.
Barrie
Hi Barrie, nice to speak with you. Yes it was quite windy and I told him to wait for me so I can go over things pre flight checks etc but he went out with his sister and started to fly the drone it just shows the wind in our area must of been stronger than what my daughter had telling her on her mobile which was 19 mph at the time.

Hi all please find the link to the flightrecord upload

the battery was still very good so do you think the wind has flipped the Mavic Mini and it’s fell to the ground on last point of communication on the flight log

fingers crossed you guys can bring some info to a better search of finding the drone I am posting some posters through people’s doors to today around that area wish us luck and I look forward to your feedback on the flight log

Hi all please find the link to the flightrecord upload

the battery was still very good so do you think the wind has flipped the Mavic Mini and it’s fell to the ground on last point of communication on the flight log
Wind won't flip the drone, it will just blow it further away if it's strong enough.

RTH was initiated at 3:17 with the mini 307 metres just a little south of west and 49 metres up.
The Mini climbed to the set RTH height of 93 metres and then was brought down to 67 metres before signal was lost.
It was being blown backwards at 1-1.5 m/s when data stopped.
Battery level was 80% and losing about 1% each 13 seconds.
On losing signal it will have initiated RTH again and gone back to 90 metres where it will have been blown backwards at approx 2-3 m/s.
It would have taken about 15 minutes to get to critical low voltage and start descending.
In that time it will have drifted 1.8-2.7 kilometres further a little south of west.

It will have been blown a little further as it descended.
It's not going to be possible to give a likely search point with that much uncertainty.

HI Meta, good to speak to you again and thanks for the last information it really makes things much clearer so are you saying that the last gps location showing it would of been blown further 1.8-2.7 kilometres south of west that is 1.6 miles would I be right in thinking that.

another question please I would like to ask is, I though with the gps even if it lost communication where ever it landed or fell in the end it could send a signal to the satellite and update its location

HI Meta, good to speak to you again and thanks for the last information it really makes things much clearer so are you saying that the last gps location showing it would of been blown further 1.8-2.7 kilometres south of west that is 1.6 miles would I be right in thinking that.

another question please I would like to ask is, I though with the gps even if it lost communication where ever it landed or fell in the end it could send a signal to the satellite and update its location

A couple of things to consider. As it was descending at the end of the flight its drift speed dropped to approximately zero, but on signal loss it will have re-ascended to 90 m where the wind speed was higher - around 13 - 15 m/s. As a result it will have drifted as it had previously at around 4 m/s towards the SW.

Graph0.png

At the point of signal loss it was 730 seconds from autolanding due to low battery, and so that indicates a potential drift distance of nearly 3 km.

Battery_1.png

On the ground that puts it somewhere along the green line, out to the 3 km circle:

grab119.jpg

... it would of been blown further 1.8-2.7 kilometres south of west
... if it lost communication where ever it landed or fell in the end it could send a signal to the satellite and update its location

Just to give you a view of all the variables in this incident ... & how those variables multiply everything in a long drift distance as the remaining battery was so high ...

What we know for certain:

- RTH height was set at 90m above home point.
- At 90m height the autoland percentage is 8% ... meaning when the battery reaches 8% the Mini will autoland instead of going to 0% & then fall as a rock.
- When the connection between the Mini & the remote stops the Mini will after 11sec revert to the set failsafe action which in your case was Return to Home.
- We also know that during RTH the Mini's max speed is 8m/s, stronger wind then that will push the Mini further away ... it will not be able to make way towards home.
- It's also well known that DJI drones doesn't "flip" ... the just pitch down at the maximum angle & gives all up to the max speed for the flight mode.
- Also when the connection is lost between the Mini & the remote the flight log can't be transferred to your mobile device anymore ... meaning that the GPS position will not be updated anymore.
- We also know that the GPS module in the Mini doesn't send anything to satellites ... it only receive. So with this ... a loss of connection means that the position will be forever unknown if the Mini isn't found.

Then to some assumptions & averaging out from the flight log you attached earlier ...

- When the remote lost connection with the Mini it would have ascended up to 90m. On that height the Mini earlier had a drift speed somewhere between 3,5-4m/s
- At approx 65m & lower the Mini didn't drift earlier in the flight.
- Averaging the battery consumption & interpolating it down to autoland level of 8% meant that the Mini had approx. 696sec of flight until start of landing
- We can also out from the log estimate the tilt direction to get a clue in what direction the Mini likely drifted after the lost connection.
- Out from the manual we can read out the max descend speed the Mini would have had during the autolanding once reaching 8% ... it lands with a max speed of 1,8m/s.

All this leads to some pure mathematic values which uncertainty just becomes larger by distance ...

- 3,5-4m/s drift speed gives a distance between 2486-2840m including landing (but if the drift speed changed the distances will be very different)
- A drift angle out from the tilt angle between 247-250 degrees (but if the wind changed further away due to changes in the geography or/and with change in height during landing that direction might have been very different)

Plotting all this in Google Earth gives us this look ... the yellow track=what was recorded in the log. The 2 red lines indicate the drift direction variation ... & the green field in the end with a length of 350m & a width of 150m ... the possible touch down area.

All this like finding a needle in a haystack unfortunately ...

1592155581121.png

1592155617765.png

Wow this is mind blowing information thank you a million for even giving me the time and looking into this for me without you guys I would of been in the waste ground looking until I found the drone but now all this information has been provided I would never of even guessed this drone would be miles away after total contact loss. It’s just unbelievable this drone has drifted this far and even if I tried to have a look from start to finish like you guys have said it would be like looking for a needle in a hay stack really it’s shocking when you think of it how far these drones can drift when out of control. I truly do appreciate all your time and effort getting this information together for me because never in a million years would I be able to work the final drone flight path to its end destination so massive thank you guys and to everyone who replied back. I owe you guys big time if there is a donate page I would be more than happy to show my appreciation.

I will just have to put it down as my sons first drone loss but we will be back the only thing is if we purchase a heavier drone with powerful motors to cope with the strong winds it then comes under a gov license or register in case it falls and hurts someone like over 1kg drones but we will see.

I will stay in touch and update you guys if anyone finds a drone as I have put it out on social media and local reporter website.

Best regards

Mark

RTH altitude settings are the killer. Wind speed usually doubles by 50' - 100' altitude. Your regional wind averages 4 m/s. UK: Average wind speed | Statista.

I routinely fly my MM in 8 m/s wind speed which seems to be a "calm wind" for my region. I've successfully flown it a couple of times in large open fields with 13 m/s wind speed. Today, the wind is 23 m/s which is common, so I'm grounded. Even with a faster platform like a M2P I'd be out of commission, with today's wind including gusts.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa