DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Detroit Drone under investigation

This is a perfect example how the actions of a knucklehead is making it increasingly difficult to fly legally, lead to more regulation and poisoning the public's perception of the drone community. The Blue Angels fly at a much higher altitude than 400 feet so I would guess the drone was flying illegally. As the author stated "stupid is as stupid does".

it hinted it was a DJI Phantom so maybe the air show is a no-fly zone?

The mention of a Phantom was only background story on the DJI drone introduction and explosion since.
It could have been a Phantom, or any of the later drone models, or it could have originally (when the story first broke) been any consumer drone.
I'm not sure it was a DJI drone, may have been mentioned in other posts.

A Phantom has nothing to do with an airspace being a NFZ or not, maybe you mean it may not have been geofenced if a NFZ was in place ?
The was apparently no 'no fly zone' in Detroit that day, according to another section of the story.

He was still likely well over 400', and should have landed immediately he became aware of manned aircraft operating in the skies.
Of course, this pilot was there to film the Blue Angels, but looking at the video in previous posts here, and in the link again, it's painfully obvious he wasn't expecting them in that low, or he was simply too high and didn't care, I guess that will come out at whatever legal trial comes about.

The link to Petalpixel site, and youtube video at 0:42 here . . .

He was moving his gimbal around a little trying to find them in the air I think.
The video on computer screen etc shows the building vapour appearing from the aircraft, and we all know there is probably no way he saw that building as they came into view on his little monitor screen, on a sunny day, it would have looked like any of the other cloud until too late to react.

That's why we descend or land if manned aircraft are nearby.

He stuffed up big time and will pay a fairly high price I'd say. Deservedly.

I am curios to find out the age of this person. I hope it was a kid. I am tired of seeing adults do incredably stuped things. I mean really, not just the flying but then posting it on the internet. I can see giving a kind some slack, only because i did some pretty stupid stuff in my youth.

Where i live the coast guard does search an rescue along with some air national guard helicopter training over the water. The first hint of a sound of those things i go down to deck level wether they are near me or not. If one of the helos snuck up on me I would have no problem doing that csc thing and going into the drink.

If this was an adult and this actually happend and not some type of videoshop, i truly believe he should be prosecuted.

Reactions: mrharri
A couple of things...

First, it was a Mavic. Not sure what kind of Mavic, but it was a Mavic.

Second, Mr. Lucia is about 30-35.

Third, there is no TFR for these flyovers. ATC simply holds air traffic in the vicinity while they are perfuming. Putting a TFR in place for such a large area, when in reality they're only in an area for a short amount of time would be a logistical night nightmare.

Fourth, he is in a world of hurt. And yes, I am accurately quoted in that story. While I was certainly pissed off at everyone who sent me nasty emails and left nasty comments in the video while it was on my YT page, it finally occurred to me that those comments (as misdirected as the were), were a good sign that this industry is maturing, and we are becoming very passionate about safety.

Last edited:
Reactions: Capt KO
Thank you for the follow up. I’m only a couple of miles from The Florida West Coast Coast Guard station at St Pete Clearwater Airport. On training or rescue, they fly well below 400ft, enough to blow the trees in my yard. Dang they’re Loud, used to about scare the ? out a me. I can hear them about 30 sec before appearing. Enough for me to dive for cover. If those guys want to know I’m there, that’s fine with me. I thought with DJI’s present system, it was possible? Maybe not.

Reactions: Otisangb
Holy cow. That’s insane but amazing footage ?

any updates on this story?

"The FAA does not comment on active investigations" was the comment I got last week from the lead investigator when I talked to him.

I'll share more when I can.

Thank you for the follow up. I’m only a couple of miles from The Florida West Coast Coast Guard station at St Pete Clearwater Airport. On training or rescue, they fly well below 400ft, enough to blow the trees in my yard. Dang they’re Loud, used to about scare the ? out a me. I can hear them about 30 sec before appearing. Enough for me to dive for cover. If those guys want to know I’m there, that’s fine with me. I thought with DJI’s present system, it was possible? Maybe not.

Yea, no they don't. Those big C130's look like they're close, but they're not (I use military rangefinders when they go overhead to see their height). MUCH higher than you think.
The only things that are lower than 400 ft are hospital helos (I'm near one) and the helos that spray the parks for bugs.

Yea, no they don't. Those big C130's look like they're close, but they're not (I use military rangefinders when they go overhead to see their height). MUCH higher than you think.
The only things that are lower than 400 ft are hospital helos (I'm near one) and the helos that spray the parks for bugs.
Depends on where you are at. Yes large aircraft look close and may not be below 400 but in more remote regions I often see aircraft flying below 400 feet other than medical helicopters.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tariqstudio