DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Deviation on course lock and straight forward

haiiiner

Reactions
Dear folks,

if you fly your Mavic straight forward for e.g. 40 meters / 131 feet, how far does it normally deviate from that course?

In my case I have 3 meters / 10 feet.

Another question concerns deviation on Course Lock. If I align course lock to a path and fly 100 m / 330 feet forth and back the drone then stands about 8 m / 26 feet next to me. Is this normal?

I already calibrated compass and remote control.

Last edited:
I mean i would say its normal gps and barometer are not going to balls accurate so yes i would expect some deviation. As long as its in the general area

I wouldn`t be surprised if it came out as normal GPS tolerance, Mike, but on the other hand - why are waypoint missions a lot more precise then?

Not sure but think the waypoint send to a coordinates which should be closer then just following a straght line. When I do a RTH it almost always land were it took off from.

I wouldn`t be surprised if it came out as normal GPS tolerance, Mike, but on the other hand - why are waypoint missions a lot more precise then?
I think thats based on coordinates and even still is a little off....but close

Reactions: haiiiner
I think thats based on coordinates....

That makes me wonder - when does Mavic use coordinates in normal GPS-mode at all? Only for keeping position while hovering?

I would think for homepoint and when u update your homepoint

I would think for homepoint and when u update your homepoint

That cannot be: the difference of Atti and GPS mode is, that in the latter you don`t have to worry about holding the position while hovering. At least here the drone has to use GPS coordinates.

Im confused on your point about atti, the mavic does not have an atti switch but yes can go into atti if it loses gps etc are u saying when it regains lock after going into atti? Well it will still remember its homepoint....

Ok, I realize I don't really know how GPS mode works although I am using it all the time as it is our standard mode ?

The question is if GPS mode only uses GPS for saving the homepoint and keeping the position while hovering OR
if it additionally uses GPS to smoothen linear flight paths if we follow a course for some time manually - or something like that...

Does anybody know?

My experimentation with course lock is that it is strictly a heading and not a destination, relying only on the compass and not GPS. That means the AC will maintain the same heading while being blown off sideways. Try it in a strong cross wind in two directions and see what happens.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61