DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Did I ever make a mistake purchasing the Air 2S

RarcerRoy

Reactions
I had a older Parrot Bebop 2 drone that I made a very good looking overview of a golf course with. I used Flight Plan and was able to create footage that was smooth and looked good. Out course was remodeled over the summer and so when they wanted a new overview I thought I would purchase a new drone with a better camera. I bought the Mavic Air 2S only to find out there is not app like Flight Plan for this unit. I start reading forums and realize there probably never will be. I paid $1,200 for something that it appears DJI isn't going to offer an SDK for so outside companies can't support it.

I read all the hype and marketing information about DJI and got fooled. I should have purchased the Parrot Anifi. Anybody want to buy a slightly used DJI? It's about impossible to create smooth video on a golf course without years of practice. No way to limit speed other than your finger.

Reactions: basyok
I fly the Mavic Air 2 and if you have experience you can create a great video. Yes, I agree that the flight plan is great but still not available sadly, and probably never will. You can try to use tripod mode (switch on the controller, the "left" mode) to make the movements slow and smooth.

Reactions: tlswift58
I had a older Parrot Bebop 2 drone that I made a very good looking overview of a golf course with. I used Flight Plan and was able to create footage that was smooth and looked good. Out course was remodeled over the summer and so when they wanted a new overview I thought I would purchase a new drone with a better camera. I bought the Mavic Air 2S only to find out there is not app like Flight Plan for this unit. I start reading forums and realize there probably never will be. I paid $1,200 for something that it appears DJI isn't going to offer an SDK for so outside companies can't support it.

I read all the hype and marketing information about DJI and got fooled. I should have purchased the Parrot Anifi. Anybody want to buy a slightly used DJI? It's about impossible to create smooth video on a golf course without years of practice. No way to limit speed other than your finger.
The SDK is scheduled for December

Reactions: bubbaedc
It's about impossible to create smooth video on a golf course without years of practice. No way to limit speed other than your finger.
I don't understand how it's impossible. If you're in normal mode it should be easy enough. Even easier if in Tripod mode.

You can alter the speed with which the drone responds to the sticks to allow smoother movements (or practice a lighter touch -- it's not too difficult) Alternatively, you can purchase Cinesticks from ScottyMakesStuff.com.

Reactions: maggior and basyok
You can also customize your pitch and yaw settings under “camera”. There’s a good uTube video on that.
Sorry GSteve, I missed your reply and you beat me to it😎.

From videos I watched I see the Anafi as not being very stable and the Air2S being far superior. Just my opinion, totally not like I have any bias owning and loving an Air2S or anything.

Reactions: Galeforce1
I own 2 Anafi's and yes the waypoint flight mode on them is far superior to anything a Air 2S can do flying manually but the Air 2S has a much better camera. Cinesticks from ScottyMakesStuff.com as mentioned above will give him a lot better control. I also have a set of those and they work as advertised. One other option is to change the parameters in a software mod. Of course the OP would have to ask to join the software mod section to learn how to do this. There he will find a video posted by me explaining how it is done. There are a few options for the OP to try but I do understand how frustrating not having waypoints on a drone is after using them on other drones for years.

Unless it's a hyperlapse waypoint-only videos are usually the least interesting way to shoot things with a drone, so you can consider it a good thing that between the better image quality and lack of waypoints you're pushed to produce something better for the customer/viewer than the bare minimum :p

I doesn't understand how it's impossible. If you're in normal mode it should be easy enough. Even easier if in Tripod mode.
The Air 2s doesn't have Tripod mode. And the Cine mode is not as good as the Tripod mode

I get it though. The Air2S should have come with a native waypoint function and the SDK certainly should have been released at release. I honestly don’t really understand what they have to do that takes so long to release these SDKs. It would seem like programming shouldn’t be that different from drone to drone.

Am I missing something: Flight Plan For DJI Drones by Beyond The Cube

Reactions: Joethedrone
I get it though. The Air2S should have come with a native waypoint function and the SDK certainly should have been released at release. I honestly don’t really understand what they have to do that takes so long to release these SDKs. It would seem like programming shouldn’t be that different from drone to drone.
With current FAA LOS regulations, I doubt that DJI will ever have a native waypoint mode ever again. I could see DJI even ceasing the SDK program as it could cause liability issues as it "enables" the pilot to break LOS rules even with other programs controlling it.

With current FAA LOS regulations, I doubt that DJI will ever have a native waypoint mode ever again. I could see DJI even ceasing the SDK program as it could cause liability issues as it "enables" the pilot to break LOS rules even with other programs controlling it.
Well now that would be suicide for DJI if they ever did that. All mapping programs need native way points to work. Many programs such as agriculture rely on mapping their fields. The competition would bury DJI if they ever did something so dumb.

Well now that would be suicide for DJI if they ever did that. All mapping programs need native way points to work. Many programs such as agriculture rely on mapping their fields. The competition would bury DJI if they ever did something so dumb.
Perhaps for the consumer series only.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580