DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Did I screw up buying this tablet?

G Randy Brown

Reactions
I bought a cheap $80 tablet that states it has Android 8...as you prolly know, dji fly requires Android 6 or above so I thought it would work however when I try to install fly it shows it's already installed (but on my Samsung phone).
Anyone know what I'm missing... are the specs on the tablet just not good enough?

It needs to be 64bit 'capable', could your tablet be 32bit? From memory I had that problem with my Samsung S5, the Android version was ok but it's a 32bit phone.

Reactions: dawgpilot
I bought a cheap $80 tablet that states it has Android 8...as you prolly know, dji fly requires Android 6 or above so I thought it would work however when I try to install fly it shows it's already installed (but on my Samsung phone).
Anyone know what I'm missing... are the specs on the tablet just not good enough?
Yes, and Yes.

Well hell...I guess I should have asked here for suggestions before letting the cheap price lure me in to an impulse buy...I'll search the forums for suggestions but meanwhile if you have any please let me know.

I tried using a cheap Android tablet too. I got the app to download and install but the live feed from the drone was so laggy it wasn’t worth it.

Reactions: JimCanada
Well hell...I guess I should have asked here for suggestions before letting the cheap price lure me in to an impulse buy...I'll search the forums for suggestions but meanwhile if you have any please let me know.
I am a Android user but in my humble opinion nothing beats the Ipad Mini 5 as a device to fly the Mavic Air 2 with.

I tried using a cheap Android tablet too. I got the app to download and install but the live feed from the drone was so laggy it wasn’t worth it.
My Samsung A20 works so well with it I didn't even think about how taxing fly could be...I just want a bigger screen I can pack in the case to be dedicated to use only when flying (1 out of 3 times I forget my dam phone at home)

Reactions: wali
I am a Android user but in my humble opinion nothing beats the Ipad Mini 5 as a device to fly the Mavic Air 2 with.
The phone I use now has about a 6 1/2" screen so I'll probably just keep using it until I can find a compatible 10" screen

I'm really liking my Galaxy Tab S4 with the 10.5 inch screen.
The Lenovo Smart Tab M8 is $99 with a charging dock at Walmart and works fine with the Fly app side-loaded.
Is this the Lenova M8 you are referring to? It has an attractive price but is 2GB ram enuf?

Yes, it worked fine when I tried it out. You have a 15 day return window if you purchase it through Walmart so I won't hurt to try it.
Yes, it worked fine when I tried it out. You have a 15 day return window if you purchase it through Walmart so I won't hurt to try it.
You're right, not much to lose thru walmart (it's where I bought the other one and I've already printed out my bar code for a full refund).
I can't find detailed specs on the Lenova 8 to see if it's 64 bit (some people claim dji fly needs 64 bit) but it's easy enuf to return if it doesn't work.

...hope it does because the price is nice...thanks!

You're right, not much to lose thru walmart (it's where I bought the other one and I've already printed out my bar code for a full refund).
I can't find detailed specs on the Lenova 8 to see if it's 64 bit (some people claim dji fly needs 64 bit) but it's easy enuf to return if it doesn't work.

...hope it does because the price is nice...thanks!

It's definitely 64 bit, the DJI Fly app won't install if it isn't.

It needs to be 64bit 'capable', could your tablet be 32bit? From memory I had that problem with my Samsung S5, the Android version was ok but it's a 32bit phone.

It needs to be more than 64-bit capable. For Android it also it needs to be an ARM processor. I bought an otherwise beefy, lots of cores, 2019 Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1. It is 64-bit capable. But for what ever reason it has 32-bit ROM for Android, so it is limited to running only 32-bit apps. For example, when I go to the Google Play Store the DJI FLY app does not show up in searches. I can not use this mid-range tablet with my MA2.

After searching the forums I ran across someone thinking this may be a good deal...any opinions?

It needs to be more than 64-bit capable. For Android it also it needs to be an ARM processor. I bought an otherwise beefy, lots of cores, 2019 Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1. It is 64-bit capable. But for what ever reason it has 32-bit ROM for Android, so it is limited to running only 32-bit apps. For example, when I go to the Google Play Store the DJI FLY app does not show up in searches. I can not use this mid-range tablet with my MA2.

Did you try side-loading the app and installing it that way?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juanfraf