Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Did somebody say, "idiot?? '

Bob in Savannah

Masters Patron
Reactions
Site
instagram.com
Like a fool yesterday, I had a belly full of beer and then decided to climb a ladder onto the roof (uh oh) and then attempted to fly my MP in the neighborhood.
I didn't get 20 feet before I got all tangled up in a pear tree's leafless branches that I couldnt see because it was at sunset...
It fell to the ground... About 15 feet up onto some (thankfully) plush grass...
It had a broken prop.. I replaced all 4, of course. Visually everything looked great and this morning at work I tried to fly it at 5 am and it seemed fine... I got a "not enough light" warning but that's to be expected.
I'll fly it this afternoon but I'm hoping everything is good. I've definitely learned my lesson.

Last edited:
Like a fool yesterday, I had a belly full of beer and then decided to club a ladder onto the roof (uh oh) and then attempted to fly my MP in the neighborhood.
I didn't get 20 feet before I got all tangled up in a pear tree's leafless branches that I couldnt see because it was at sunset...
It fell to the ground... About 15 feet up onto some plusg grass...
It had a broken prop.. I replaced all 4, of course. Visually everything looked great and this morning at work I tried to fly it at 5 am and it seemed fine... I got a "not enough light" warning but that's to be expected.
I'll fly it this afternoon but I'm hoping everything is good. I've definitely learned my lesson.
At least you didn't fall off the roof.

Memo to self: Fly before beer. (I thought you werent going to fly yesterday).
Definitely could have (probably should have) fallen off the roof. Grr..
I only had a couple beers but whatever. Not a good decision.
I don't know why I chose to fly.. It will never happen again, I know that.
After a successful 3 min trial this morning at 440am on the jobsite and a 15 min jaunt moments ago after work, all seems well. *fingers crossed *
The only damage I can spot (besides the 4 props I replaced) is a tiny rip on part of the skin on one leg. The gimbal/camera looks like it always has.. Pristine.
I am so lucky (I don't know why but thank you Drone Gods) and I'll chalk all this up as experience and a lesson learned. Hmph!

Same thing could have happened without climbing in the roof....

Your Mavic should be fine- they are tough. I deliberately ditched mine into a tree to avoid a pair of relentless magpies attacking it- flying up and away was getting ridiculous after evading them and trying to sneak back 5 or 6 times in a row. Replaced props and all good.

I think someone needs to 3D print a stubby holder for the remote. You can get distracted when you have to reach for your beer...

Like a fool yesterday, I had a belly full of beer and then decided to climb a ladder onto the roof (uh oh) and then attempted to fly my MP in the neighborhood.
It fell to the ground... About 15 feet up onto some (thankfully) plush grass...

Sir
With all due respect, you will get yourself into big trouble, and even more important, will attract even bigger legal controls on top of those already proposed if you fly irresponsibly. The old adage amongst those of us who fly real aeroplanes is "24 hours from bottle to throttle". Alcohol and aircraft of any size or description do not mix. Do all of us, and the industry a favour - DO NOT DRINK AND FLY !

Reactions: HVYMTL
Sir
With all due respect, you will get yourself into big trouble, and even more important, will attract even bigger legal controls on top of those already proposed if you fly irresponsibly. The old adage amongst those of us who fly real aeroplanes is "24 hours from bottle to throttle". Alcohol and aircraft of any size or description do not mix. Do all of us, and the industry a favour - DO NOT DRINK AND FLY !
Its 12 hours. Don’t speak for all of us in the industry. You obviously are not in it.

Reactions: Cutitout
Between the drunk and the idiots throwing their aircraft into strong winds downwind, DJI is making a fortune of theses fools!

Reactions: Drgnfli
Its 12 hours. Don’t speak for all of us in the industry. You obviously are not in it.
As a PPL holder with lots of hours, I can assure you that in my training days it was "24 hours - bottle too throttle" If now 12 - too little to my thinking. As for the drone industry -I own 3 drones with CAA Pfco and hundreds of hours. In days past - at TV retailer had to inform the government to whom they had sold a TV set, and the purchaser had to register for a TV licence within a certain period. I very much hope that type of control happens to the drone industry, which will help to a certain extent to prevent idiots spoiling the fun for responsible flying drone owners !

As a ppl you should know its 8 hours or point .04 bottle to throttle.
As far as this whole post it’s probably a Troll that started it. Don’t believe everything you read here.
I respect your 24 hour rule don’t get me wrong.
I personally don’t drink so its a non issue with me.

Reactions: DesG
i can not say for maned aircraft pilots, but in trucking. it has always been 12 hrs. frome drunk to drive.
99% of bodys out there can work booze out in that amount of time. but then there is still the 0.04 rule. 0.08 with no time, for everybody else on the roads.

i rairly drink and only in places where i know there is no driving. or much of anything else.

but yes it looks like the poster is a troll. if not then the faa should go after him. he did voluntary confess to a crime on a public fourm.
as well as all the videos of peps comiting faa rule violation type crimes

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000