DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Did you ever forgot to take off gimbal cover before turning on your drone?

4k3or3et

Reactions
Hi Guys,

Did you ever forgot to take off gimbal cover before turning on your drone? Did that broke the gimbal?

Just asking as probably it may happen to everyone at least one time in a lifetime...

Yep.
I think I've done it about six times since 2017 with the Spark and the MA2.

Usually you get a warning in the app when the drone powers up as it goes through the start up process of calibration.

Plenty of posts about this and some have placed stickers or "Remove before flight" ribbon on the cover.

I haven't broke a gimbal yet, just received the error message and had to restart the aircraft.

I think the original Mavic had a cover that could stay attached, but then the curvature of the bubble would distort the image quality.

Reactions: ckoerner
It always comes off before flight as part of the unfolding process. Pull out of pack, unfold arms, pop off cover and drop into pack, turn on, fly away. [emoji1360]

Reactions: MA2 317
I am new and lucky so far. Manned aircraft pilots have a saying about "gear up landings" that applies...."There are those that have and then there are those that will." I, like any other honest pilot, have started the engine to see a red and white "REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT" cover still sitting on the pitot tube. A checklist that works for you is one of the best approaches to a successful flight. I am still developing one for my MA2. The checklist should be in your words and a flow that works. Glad if I ever leave the gimbal cover on it is not a certain death for the gimbal!

Reactions: MA2 317
Yes I did forget. But I have made two additions: one plastic bag and one wire – See photos.
The RED and LONG wire is attached to the gimbal case – you simply cannot miss it AND you will find the gimbal case if you misplace it.
The NOT SO THIN plastic bag is to wrap the drone and makes it easy to pack and unpack it from the drone case (keeps the arms in order).
Good luck! //Jorge

Attachments

• tempImagelpbDv0.png
    tempImagelpbDv0.png
    522.2 KB · Views: 16
  • tempImageIogb8K.png
    tempImageIogb8K.png
    898.9 KB · Views: 16
  • tempImageKXciVu.png
    tempImageKXciVu.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case