DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Different Battery Drainage

Lets Fly

Reactions
I was planing to fly last wednesday and the wind over the ocean was way to strong. I had all three batteries charged full and left them in my case. I took them out today to see what charge was left and one was down to about 60%, one was down to 80% and the one left in the drone was still showing full. Is there a reason leaving a battery in the drone saves power??

This is likely the result of the auto self-discharge function. There is a setting that lets you specify how long to wait before it automatically starts to discharge the battery (slowly). This is better for the life of the battery.

I was trying to see if there is a way to temporarily stop it from discharging while on a roadtrip. This is an interesting observation on your part (ine it did not self discharge when in the drone). However, it is possible that that battery had a different auto-discharge period set up in the DJI App for that battery.

Do you have all batteries set to the same self-discharge period? These is set in the DJI App and is a setting for each battery.

This is likely the result of the auto self-discharge function. There is a setting that lets you specify how long to wait before it automatically starts to discharge the battery (slowly). This is better for the life of the battery.

I was trying to see if there is a way to temporarily stop it from discharging while on a roadtrip. This is an interesting observation on your part (ine it did not self discharge when in the drone). However, it is possible that that battery had a different auto-discharge period set up in the DJI App for that battery.

Do you have all batteries set to the same self-discharge period? These is set in the DJI App and is a setting for each battery.
Did not know that, I've never set them myself. However they came from DJI is what they are. I will check that out. Thanks.

No. But, using the battery or pressing the power button will affect that auto discharge feature.
Of course that's the answer. I often press and check at different times. I checked my settings and it was set to discharge in 5 days, I changed it to three. Thanks for the info.

Hi msinger. You state that "No. But, using the battery or pressing the power button will affect that auto discharge feature. See more details here.", but I think that some of the information is outdated in the provided link. When the Mavic 2 was originally released, the default self-discharge time was 10-days and pushing the power button to check its charge level would reset the self timer. But is is my understanding that these behaviors have changed. The default has definitely changed to 5-days, and I thought I read sometime ago that checking the charge level no longer resets the self discharge time. I am trying to see if there is a way to reset the timer without having to haul out the charging hub and put each battery in the charger.

Reactions: Octavio
I think that some of the information is outdated in the provided link
That's a general guide for DJI batteries -- not a guide for Mavic 2 batteries specifically. If you find anything that seems to be incorrect though, please let me know so I can correct it.

When the Mavic 2 was originally released, the default self-discharge time was 10-days and pushing the power button to check its charge level would reset the self timer. But is is my understanding that these behaviors have changed. The default has definitely changed to 5-days, and I thought I read sometime ago that checking the charge level no longer resets the self discharge time.
Prior to firmware version 01.00.0510, the auto discharge time was set to 10 days and could not be changed. In firmware version 01.00.0510, the default setting was changed to 5 days and DJI exposed the option to configure that setting. And in firmware version 01.00.0670, they changed the default discharge setting to 2 days.

Here's what the current DJI manual states:

"Auto-Discharging Function: To prevent swelling, the battery automatically discharges to less than
70% of the maximum battery level when it is idle
for more than 10 days. It takes approximately three
to four days to discharge the battery to 60%. It is normal to feel moderate heat being emitted from
the battery during the discharging process."

Normally, a battery is idle when the battery button is not being pressed. And in this case, pressing the battery button seems to be causing the problem the OP is describing above.

Hi msinger. You state that "No. But, using the battery or pressing the power button will affect that auto discharge feature. See more details here.", but I think that some of the information is outdated in the provided link. When the Mavic 2 was originally released, the default self-discharge time was 10-days and pushing the power button to check its charge level would reset the self timer. But is is my understanding that these behaviors have changed. The default has definitely changed to 5-days, and I thought I read sometime ago that checking the charge level no longer resets the self discharge time. I am trying to see if there is a way to reset the timer without having to haul out the charging hub and put each battery in the charger.

By charging the battery to <75% there will be no timer settings. Only if you fully charge the settings will be activated as I noticed with my batteries.
Thus, the reason I keep my batteries @<75% is a safe charge and easy to fully charge. Also, if it’s not fully charged it will not register as a Charged cycle. I just stop the charging process @<75%

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22