DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Different C TO C cable won't connect phone to controller.

Biggie777

Reactions
I bought a headset (magimask) so I could do a little FPV style flying with my mini 2 which requires a longer data cable than the stock one so it can reach from controller to goggles. (where the phone is)

So anyway,My phone charging cable is C too C and is long enough but it doesn't allow me to connect. I have used this charging cable for data transfer from my computer to phone but it should be noted that I think I had the option to chose transfer, charging, and a few other options. The cord is a OnePlus super fast charging cord that is capable of charging and transferring files from one device to another so not sure what I'm missing ..

One thing I am not missing is the fact that this cable will never work so was wondering if anyone had any ideas on why and what to buy ? How much lengrh needed if anyone wouldn't mind guestimating.

Thanks

This is guess work but............ does the plug on the controller end of the cable need to be something special?
From memory the original cable has one end marked with something that might be a representation of the controller, micro USB phone here so can't check this.
So, as an experiment, could you try putting the original cable in the wrong way around and see if it drives the phone when the phone is mounted on the controller in the normal manner?
Try the same thing with the new cable and also, since USB-C connectors a supposedly reversible, try rotating the individual connectors at their connections.

I had the same problem with a cable I already had in house. I ended up getting the Anker Powerline USB-C to USB-C 3.1 Gen 1 Cable (3ft) with Power Delivery for USB Type-C Devices Including Galaxy S8, S8+, S9, S10, iPad Pro 2018, Google Pixel, Huawei Matebook, MacBook and More. It works perfectly. Not sure why the other cables don't work.

This is guess work but............ does the plug on the controller end of the cable need to be something special?
From memory the original cable has one end marked with something that might be a representation of the controller, micro USB phone here so can't check this.
So, as an experiment, could you try putting the original cable in the wrong way around and see if it drives the phone when the phone is mounted on the controller in the normal manner?
Try the same thing with the new cable and also, since USB-C connectors a supposedly reversible, try rotating the individual connectors at their connections.
Good idea. Yes,the one plug on the controller has that marking and I believe that is to represent the controller output as the other side is simply a holder. I tried both sides switching them around and even the one on the phone upside down (wire up) though I know C isn't supposed to matter and every way worked.

I had the same problem with a cable I already had in house. I ended up getting the Anker Powerline USB-C to USB-C 3.1 Gen 1 Cable (3ft) with Power Delivery for USB Type-C Devices Including Galaxy S8, S8+, S9, S10, iPad Pro 2018, Google Pixel, Huawei Matebook, MacBook and More. It works perfectly. Not sure why the other cables don't work.

I might have to spring for one but it would be nice to know why this thing doesn't work. (Mine is Like 3 feet,not 6)
Amazon.com: COOYA for OnePlus 9 Pro 8T Charging Cable 6.5A Warp Charge USB C to USB C Cable, 6FT Super Fast Charging Cord Compatible with MacBook Air MacBook Pro 13/16 iPad Air 4 Samsung Galaxy Note 20 S20 FE 5G : Cell Phones & Accessories

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
I have never had any problems with Anker cables. One nice thing about them or at least when I bought mine they have a life time warranty.

Reactions: Biggie777

It’s kinda funny how the USB-C revolution was suppose to make things easier and simpler but it’s actually made it more complicated.

What you need to know is that USB-C is just the connector type. There are many different kinds of cables that use this connector type and they aren’t all necessarily cross compatible. The one you want is called USB 3.2. This will be the most compatible with as many devices as possible. The cable you have linked to above is USB 2.0. This is good enough for charging and some data may work but it’s very likely the Mini 2 remote needs USB 3.1 or 3.2 to work. 3.2 is backwards compatible with 3.1 so it’s better to get the 3.2.

The one I linked to says its Gen 1 (3.1)
No problem using it on my Air 2S with the Tripltek Tablet. The Tripltek 7 inch tablet is known to have a offset female end making some cables not compatible as they don't make good contact.
Anker Powerline USB-C to USB-C 3.1 Gen 1 Cable (3ft)

No problem using it on my Air 2S with the Tripltek Tablet. The Tripltek 7 inch tablet is known to have a offset female end making some cables not compatible as they don't make good contact.
Yea I have no doubt it works, that’s probably the minimum required. My thing was might as well get the newer standard and may be able to use it with things in the future that the cable you linked wouldn’t but you are absolutely right that cable will work

It’s kinda funny how the USB-C revolution was suppose to make things easier and simpler but it’s actually made it more complicated.

What you need to know is that USB-C is just the connector type. There are many different kinds of cables that use this connector type and they aren’t all necessarily cross compatible. The one you want is called USB 3.2. This will be the most compatible with as many devices as possible. The cable you have linked to above is USB 2.0. This is good enough for charging and some data may work but it’s very likely the Mini 2 remote needs USB 3.1 or 3.2 to work. 3.2 is backwards compatible with 3.1 so it’s better to get the 3.2.
Indeed you are correct and I have followed the USB history and I have a gen 2 10GPS cord unfortunately is only C on one end - Good find.. I did not know the OnePlus was 2.0 and that is definitely the reason it doesn't work . Lol Thanks man,great find - total props.

I need one side to be a right angle because my phone maxes out the case so I got these,and would you please tell me why they didn't work. Its power and data, just the same even a gen 2 10Gps ..

Right Angle USB C Cable 3ft, Besgoods 100W 10Gbps USB-C to USB-C 3.1 Gen2 PD Fast Charging Short Cord 4K Display for MacBook Pro,PD Docking Station,SSD,Galaxy S21,More Type-C Devices,2Pack (Red) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09494TMG7/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_F9YRZ0S525VG1Q9ECS1R

I need one side to be a right angle because my phone maxes out the case so I got these,and would you please tell me why they didn't work. Its power and data, just the same even a gen 2 10Gps ..

Right Angle USB C Cable 3ft, Besgoods 100W 10Gbps USB-C to USB-C 3.1 Gen2 PD Fast Charging Short Cord 4K Display for MacBook Pro,PD Docking Station,SSD,Galaxy S21,More Type-C Devices,2Pack (Red) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09494TMG7/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_F9YRZ0S525VG1Q9ECS1R
Unfortunately there’s so much lack of education about the usb protocols and no markings are used on the cables to identify the protocol that it’s all too easy for sellers to claim cables are the newer protocols when they are not.

If buying on something like Amazon I usually purchase three or four different cables from different sellers at a time and usually I will get one that is actually the protocol it says it is

Unfortunately there’s so much lack of education about the usb protocols and no markings are used on the cables to identify the protocol that it’s all too easy for sellers to claim cables are the newer protocols when they are not.
Good point, plus it was only 12 something for two cables.. Never did I consider this was going to be anything less than a bunch of compatible cables jumping out at me on Amazon. Lol

Good point, plus it was only 12 something for two cables.. Never did I consider this was going to be anything less than a bunch of compatible cables jumping out at me on Amazon. Lol
Yea I think in the neighborhood of $19.95 for a good solid cable 3 ft cable is what you are looking at. Actually have been looking for a right angle usb c 3.1 or 3.2 for awhile and finally gave up because every single one I ordered was USB 2.

I actually did find one and it surprised me because it was the like blandest most generic cable ever but it’s less than 1 ft and it’s kinda weird because it’s angled up or down instead of side to side.

Poyiccot 90 Degree USB C to USB C Cable 1feet, Up & Down Angled, USB 3.1

The same company makes this 90 degree angle adapter which is interesting but I haven’t tried it yet.

Poyiccot USB C Right Angle Adapter,

Yea I think in the neighborhood of $19.95 for a good solid cable 3 ft cable is what you are looking at. Actually have been looking for a right angle usb c 3.1 or 3.2 for awhile and finally gave up because every single one I ordered was USB 2.

I actually did find one and it surprised me because it was the like blandest most generic cable ever but it’s less than 1 ft and it’s kinda weird because it’s angled up or down instead of side to side.

Poyiccot 90 Degree USB C to USB C Cable 1feet, Up & Down Angled, USB 3.1

The same company makes this 90 degree angle adapter which is interesting but I haven’t tried it yet.

Poyiccot USB C Right Angle Adapter,

Thank you,you have been quite enlightening, actually. So this is crazy false advertising,imo. I'm going to do a little testing here and I know for a fact that my phone and computer have legit transfer speeds,I even have thunderbolt three so I am going to take these red cables I just bought and hook them up to my computer and transfer data with the cords and see what kind of speed they are reaching. I'm having serious doubt about my other "gen 2" lol cord that I bought now and I'm going to go ahead and test that as well I'm curious at this point and guessing red has to be 2.0 at best.

Last edited:
Thank you,you have been quite enlightening, actually. So this is crazy false advertising,imo. I'm going to do a little testing here and I know for a fact that my phone and computer have legit transfer speeds,I even have thunderbolt three so I am going to take these red cables I just bought and hook them up to my computer and transfer data with the cords and see what kind of speed they are reaching. I'm having serious doubt about my other "gen 2" lol cord that I bought now and I'm going to go ahead and test that as well I'm curious at this point and guessing red has to be 2.0 at best.
Yea I actually just went to Micro Center (a retailer I trust to sell cables that are what they say on the package) and bought a plain jane USB 3.1 gen 2 (10 gbps) and it was $29.99. So if you are getting 2 cables for $15 I think it’s safe to say there’s a really good chance it’s not 3.1 gen2.

A 3.1 gen 1 may work however and you might be able to find cables for cheaper on Amazon but it may take a few tries to find one and by then you might as well have bought the more expensive cable you know works

Yea I actually just went to Micro Center (a retailer I trust to sell cables that are what they say on the package) and bought a plain jane USB 3.1 gen 2 (10 gbps) and it was $29.99. So if you are getting 2 cables for $15 I think it’s safe to say there’s a really good chance it’s not 3.1 gen2.

A 3.1 gen 1 may work however and you might be able to find cables for cheaper on Amazon but it may take a few tries to find one and by then you might as well have bought the more expensive cable you know works
I ended up getting the Anker powerline 2 3.1 gen 2 (C too C) 10 GPS for 25 bucks off Amazon and it works but I have to open the DJI fly app first with the mini 2 and controller already on and then plug the c connector in for it to trigger flight screen on.. In other words,usually I have my phone in the controller and all plugged up and then I turn on my controller and drone and that automatically opens the fly app and brings up the flight screen where it's ready to roll.. This won't work with this 3 foot 10GPS gen 2 cable...I have to open the app by tapping on it and the power of the controller and drone already have to be on, THEN I have to either plug one end into the phone or one Into the controller or even both but one will do,so plugging it in is what it takes for it to work .. Does that sound right? Plugging it in makes the already open app ready to go.

Last edited:
I ended up getting the Anker powerline 2 3.1 gen 2 (C too C) 10 GPS for 25 bucks off Amazon and it works but I have to open the DJI fly app first with the mini 2 and controller already on and then plug the c connector in for it to trigger flight screen on.. In other words,usually I have my phone in the controller and all plugged up and then I turn on my controller and drone and that automatically opens the fly app and brings up the flight screen where it's ready to roll.. This won't work with this 3 foot 10GPS gen 2 cable...I have to open the app by tapping on it and the power of the controller and drone already have to be on, THEN I have to either plug one end into the phone or one Into the controller or even both but one will do,so plugging it in is what it takes for it to work .. Does that sound right? Plugging it in makes the already open app ready to go.
For an Android device this doesn’t seem too out of the ordinary. Android is finicky about apps connecting to external devices.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rugnrollseo