DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Different flight info when using iPhone vs. iPad

Klersch

Reactions
I have never had this happen before so I thought I would share it. I have my Part 107 and occasionally do real estate photos. I got a call for a job and checked the address using Kittyhawk. While there were a number of nearby areas with restricted airspace, the house location was fine and no permissions were required.

I went to the job site and got ready to fly using my iPad. The remote control display stated that I was in a restricted zone and would not allow me to take off. The iPad was not connected to the internet. I grabbed my phone and checked Kittyhawk, and again I was in the clear. Before I gave up, I switched from the iPad to the cell phone and I was able to take off and complete the job.

I am not sure if the cell phone allowed for greater precision in pin pointing my location, but the whole thing was just a bit odd. I don’t think I will be flying there again anytime soon!!!!

Maybe. I guess that means the phone is more accurate than the remote control.
Your remote control has no GPS receiver.
Your cell phone will have a GPS receiver.
Your iPad might have a GPS receiver ... but only if it is a cellular-capable version.

Your remote control has no GPS receiver.
Your cell phone will have a GPS receiver.
Your iPad might have a GPS receiver ... but only if it is a cellular-capable version.

Interesting....I did not know that.

Does RTH work without GPS? I’m new, just ordered first drone and iPad mini.

Yes it does since home point is by default set by AC's GPS, and navigates by its GPS.

Mobile device GPS is used as an option to reset HP to remote location (though app tends to think i-device GPS is too weak), and relative position indicator. The indicator can also use HP as center but orientation does require device compass accuracy. GPS on device is not required though. You'll hardly notice any difference with or without GPS on the iPad.

Reactions: fullbore
Yes it does since home point is by default set by AC's GPS, and navigates by its GPS.

Mobile device GPS is used as an option to reset HP to remote location (though app tends to think i-device GPS is too weak), and relative position indicator. The indicator can also use HP as center but orientation does require device compass accuracy. GPS on device is not required though. You'll hardly notice any difference with or without GPS on the iPad.
Thank you!

Does RTH work without GPS? I’m new, just ordered first drone and iPad mini.
If you are asking about not having a GPS receiver in your iPad, that makes no difference because the drone uses its own GPS receiver to record its home point.
If you are asking about the drone being able to RTH automatically if it somehow, loses GPS ...
No, that's not possible.

Reactions: fullbore
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost