DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Directional arrow in lower left of controller does not point the way the drone is pointing

Ira E

Reactions
The drone points and goes in the direction I tell it to with the controller sticks, but the little arrow in the lower left "box" on the controller points in a different direction than what the drone is A) pointed in, or B) flying in. If the drone is flying or pointed at the 12:00 position (straight ahead / away from me), the arrow is pointing at the 7:00 position. When I turn the drone (left stick), the arrow turns, but never points the same as the drone. How do I synchronize the arrow to what the drone is doing?

The drone points and goes in the direction I tell it to with the controller sticks, but the little arrow in the lower left "box" on the controller points in a different direction than what the drone is A) pointed in, or B) flying in. If the drone is flying or pointed at the 12:00 position (straight ahead / away from me), the arrow is pointing at the 7:00 position. When I turn the drone (left stick), the arrow turns, but never points the same as the drone. How do I synchronize the arrow to what the drone is doing?
Land your drone

Read this A short explanation of compass function, calibration and errors.

Your heading should match the actual orientation, or you may encounter a Yaw error and toilet bowl loss of control / flyaway.

Reactions: Nonprophet

You are not alone.
I have used a Mavic Pro, Mavic2 Pro with an iPad an Android Tablet & now a Smart Controller.
Calibrate compass on drone & device but most of the time the indicator in the radar window is off.
As I turn the drone the indicator moves correspondingly but not necessarily in the correct direction. ? ?

You are not alone.
I have used a Mavic Pro, Mavic2 Pro with an iPad an Android Tablet & now a Smart Controller.
Calibrate compass on drone & device but most of the time the indicator in the radar window is off.
As I turn the drone the indicator moves correspondingly but not necessarily in the correct direction. ? ?
What does DJI say?

Never contacted them, I never fly without VLOS so it’s more an annoyance than a problem, if I have it then it should at least work properly.
Going by previous posts it seems to be a problem with quite a few people.

Never contacted them, I never fly without VLOS so it’s more an annoyance than a problem, if I have it then it should at least work properly.
Going by previous posts it seems to be a problem with quite a few people.
That's weird that even after cal it still shows off.

I know on the MA2 your phone's GPS can cause the "locator beacon" bottom center of the screen (when mini map is not on) to show it in the wrong place.

I always use MiniMap though

The home box is actually a compass with North always pointing to the top. If your drone is pointing North the arrow will point to the top of the box. Turn the drone to the West and the arrow will point to the left of the box. The arrow is showing you the compass heading that your drone is heading in. If you lose sight of the drone and not sure where it is, turn until the arrow is pointing towards home and fly manually back.

I get this when I firs boot up the AC but I make sure the compass icon on go 4 isn't locked than turn iPad in circular motion and it corrects itself worth a try

I get this when I firs boot up the AC but I make sure the compass icon on go 4 isn't locked than turn iPad in circular motion and it corrects itself worth a try
I also the turn the iPad around, upside down and it works some of the time. I do notice when I calibrate compass it works it way out and sometimes when I reboot iPad it works properly, so it a bunch of things I can do to get the correct orientation. BUT, it's a pain to go through all that so as long as my AC's compass is calibrated and working properly I fly the drone. I guess you could call it a hit or miss situation.

And The Cyborg, your icon picture gives me the ebegebees when I look at it...

The home box is actually a compass with North always pointing to the top. If your drone is pointing North the arrow will point to the top of the box. Turn the drone to the West and the arrow will point to the left of the box. The arrow is showing you the compass heading that your drone is heading in. If you lose sight of the drone and not sure where it is, turn until the arrow is pointing towards home and fly manually back.

No - that's incorrect. North is marked on the compass rose with a Ⓝ, but the compass displays with the direction that the controller is facing at the top of the rose. In the example below the aircraft is facing north, and the controller is facing WNW.

1595859432465.png

No - that's incorrect. North is marked on the compass rose with a Ⓝ, but the compass displays with the direction that the controller is facing at the top of the rose. In the example below the aircraft is facing north, and the controller is facing WNW.

View attachment 109043
Not sure what app you are using. This is my map box in Go4:
Screenshot_20200727-161319.png
When you tap on the little compass needle in the upper right, it switches from LOCKED to unlocked. When locked, it shows the bird in relation to NORTH...above she is facing south-ish. Below pic, UNLOCKED (the little lock is gone), it shows the way she is forward facing..also south-ish, but you can see the compass needle is now unlocked and facing north. The default is locked. Anyone know how to set it as unlocked so it starts up that way, I would be appreciative.
Screenshot_20200727-161645.png

Not sure what app you are using. This is my map box in Go4:
View attachment 109079
When you tap on the little compass needle in the upper right, it switches from LOCKED to unlocked. When locked, it shows the bird in relation to NORTH...above she is facing south-ish. Below pic, UNLOCKED (the little lock is gone), it shows the way she is forward facing..also south-ish, but you can see the compass needle is now unlocked and facing north. The default is locked. Anyone know how to set it as unlocked so it starts up that way, I would be appreciative.
View attachment 109080

Right - that's the map display, not the compass. To get the compass to hit the crosshairs button upper right in the lower left window.

With regards to the map, locked is north, as you mentioned, but unlocked orients the map with the direction that the controller is facing, not the direction that the aircraft is facing. I don't know any way to set unlocked as the default, but it's one click on the screen to fix that.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flyingthe405