DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Director monitor

BIGBIRD

Reactions
Hi there
I just got my M2Pro early this week. I am presently using my IPhone 7S and was trying to find if it’s possible to get the clean video signal to a second monitor using the USB port between the sticks holders.
I m checking the crystal sky monitor but I am also looking for a cheaper solution and some kind of converter usb/HDMI or SDI would be great.
Would someone be so kind to point me to any kind of solution/article/discussion?
Fly safe !
BB

For what reason are you looking to run two monitors and how will they both be mounted?

Before I purchased my first drone, I had a colleague, who made some aerial pictures for me and my client. He had a phantom, don't know what model. But he connected an external monitor and passed it along to us, so we can check the composition, height etc. Found that very practical!

Maybe there's the same possibility on the Mavic 2 remote control?

Would be interested myself, if there's a possibility. So thank you, @BIGBIRD for your question :)

Would someone be so kind to point me to any kind of solution
You can setup an Airplay monitor. This requires:

- Wifi infrastructure where you fly
- Wifi Access Point (or a mobile phone/tablet acting as such)
- Apple TV or Airplay receiver software on a PC/Mac: Airserver
- either a monitor (w. Apple TV) or a Laptop
- a power source (110V or 220V depending on the region you are)

I stick with the Crystalsky, a HDMI cable and a Blackmagic video assist monitor mounted on a tripod.
Easy to setup, works everywhere and no external power required.

SDI out is only available on DJI's Cendence RC and therefore work only with Inspire 2 and M200 series aircraft.

For what reason are you looking to run two monitors and how will they both be mounted?

I often work with directors and producers who like to peek at the image while I m flying and it s not really nice to have a crowd on your shoulders while you are trying to concentrate.
They would normally be happy to hold a monitor in their hand on or a tripod.

I often work with directors and producers who like to peek at the image while I m flying and it s not really nice to have a crowd on your shoulders while you are trying to concentrate.
They would normally be happy to hold a monitor in their hand on or a tripod.

Interesting- thanks for responding. Not something I’ve really thought about before.

You can setup an Airplay monitor. This requires:

- Wifi infrastructure where you fly
- Wifi Access Point (or a mobile phone/tablet acting as such)
- Apple TV or Airplay receiver software on a PC/Mac: Airserver
- either a monitor (w. Apple TV) or a Laptop
- a power source (110V or 220V depending on the region you are)

I stick with the Crystalsky, a HDMI cable and a Blackmagic video assist monitor mounted on a tripod.
Easy to setup, works everywhere and no external power required.

SDI out is only available on DJI's Cendence RC and therefore work only with Inspire 2 and M200 series aircraft.

Thx a lot for the suggestions, I guess there is no way to use the second USB port.
I ll look into the airplay solution, it’d need a lot of batteries on the field and I wonder how long the phone battery will last too.

As per the Crystalsky HDMI out Is it also a mirroring out with all the telemetry info or there is a way to get a clean video signal out?
I guess you could always use the full screen option in the DJI app ....
Thx again for your inputs

Not possible via second USB port. Easiest way is to mirror the display device in some way. I use the Nvidia Shield and it has a micro HDMI output. I've connected a monitor to it as a second display.

I use an atomos ninja flame for exposure and color scopes with my mavic pro. With a lightning passthrough cable from my ipad I am able to view (and record) on it. it also locks the atomos to 59.98i, allows you to record 60fps for slow motion.

Reactions: Slim.slamma
Hi there
I just got my M2Pro early this week. I am presently using my IPhone 7S and was trying to find if it’s possible to get the clean video signal to a second monitor using the USB port between the sticks holders.
I m checking the crystal sky monitor but I am also looking for a cheaper solution and some kind of converter usb/HDMI or SDI would be great.
Would someone be so kind to point me to any kind of solution/article/discussion?
Fly safe !
BB
Have you checked out Reflector3?
I would like to figure out how to use it without internet access. My dedicated iphone8 doesn't have sim card. I emailed the R3 people to see if it can be used without internet access, but they never answered back.
Also, I would think bluetooth would mirror the screen to a pc, but I can't figure out how to make it work.
Someone on here suggested using an ad hoc network, but it won't work as far as I can see.

I use an atomos ninja flame for exposure and color scopes with my mavic pro. With a lightning passthrough cable from my ipad I am able to view (and record) on it. it also locks the atomos to 59.98i, allows you to record 60fps for slow motion.

This is a nice idea! That would also allow me to use one of the monitors I already have. Although surely it is going to mirror the telemetry info too. I didn’t know of a lighting pass through cable I m googling it. So I assume you have a usb/lighting/HDMI out that you plug into the flame. Are you using one of those converters that come in the box to connect the cable into the remote? Where did you buy the cable and do you mind sharing a snapshot?
Thank you very much to you and to everyone who chimed in !!
BB

Ok I just got in the mail box this cable.
It does work if I plug the usb plug in the power adaptor but it does not work when I connect it to the remote even though the remote is set to charge the phone. If I use a normal lighting cable connected to the remote's USB-A it works and it charges the phone so I guess this cable it s not a passthrough one and the USB port is solely for charging. Can't really find any other cable on the net. would anyone mind to chime in to suggest the right cable?

Screen Shot 2018-12-19 at 13.19.35.pngScreen Shot 2018-12-19 at 13.19.35.pngScreen Shot 2018-12-19 at 13.19.35.png

I purchased the hdmi/lightning passthrough cable(box) from apple at full cost, to ensure it would work correctly. if I remember correctly its was 50 bucks. it's in the apple store, can't miss it.

I can take some pics and post them up this weekend of my ground station when flying, the really great thing about this set up is you can see the monitor in full sunlight

edit// you can remove most of the telemetry data by swiping up on your device to go 'fullscreen POV' for recording. you can also use flex on your ios device to remove the rest of the telemetry data from displaying, if you tinker with these types of things

edit// this is for litchi

Last edited:
[I can take some pics and post them up this weekend of my ground station when flying, the really great thing about this set up is you can see the monitor in full sunlight

edit// this is for litchi[/QUOTE]

Thanks UAVNV, that 's the set up I am trying to get to.
I should have gone to the apple store on the first go.... when/if you have a chance some pics are always great.
if it works with litchi I can't see why it shouldn't work with GO4, I was looking into getting litchi anyway so I'll give it a try
Thanks a lot for your help
Fly safe!
BB

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allezzov