DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DIRTY DEAL, DJI !!

OregonEd

Reactions
One week ago on Saturday morning I went flying with my mini. I spent a wonderful morning flying up all my batteries, and went home. Charged all of my batteries with the expectation of the weather being perfect again for Sunday morning. Got up early and it was a most beautiful morning. Me and Mini were off to the beach. I think now, that is the end of my beautiful story! I opened my Fly app, powered on the controller and powered up the Mini.
Lift Off - but right away something was different. It wasn’t like riding the bicycle with no hands anymore. The control was like I was a little drunk and the elevation wasn’t firmly steady. Even being more attentive, after the second near death meeting with big trees, I stopped to recalibrate or something? Well it’s then I noticed that my firmware was .300 and not the firmware .200 anymore. After calibrating my compass and ICU, I tried again. “No good PERIOD”. Instead of buzzing around all the stuff in the park with ease and confidence, I just got farther and farther away from everything. After 20 more minutes of flying, my first battery was gone and so was I !!! I was tired instead of refreshed. For months what had been stimulating and fun, had suddenly become a comparatively boring and stressful activity. Ok, I am a spoiled child.
To add insult to injury, the firmware .200 has now been removed from the DJI Assistant 2.
I did not update my firmware, my iPhone does not update anything. I know too well that old story... the .300 firmware is a downgrade for the experience flyers and the .400 firmware is problematic.
Saturday everything for me was perfect, I turned off my Mini, charged my batteries and Sunday when I turned it on it was updated. WHY? HOW? IS THAT AN ACCEPTABLE PRACTICE? Did I miss something here?
I think that this is a VERY DIRTY DEAL.
DJI, you took away an old guys fun !!
Can someone help? Please

You stated that your iPhone does not update anything, but it sure sounds like you have auto update turned on. It is on by default unless you have turned it off.

A similar thing happened to me, but it was a video feed instead of control problem. One day perfect, the next day unusable. In my case, Android Play Store was set to auto update my apps; including Go 4. I had to downgrade to make it work and turn off auto update (I also never connect to the internet while I am flying). It was long ago and not iOS so I am sure the procedure to roll back will be different for you. Someone should chime in shortly with your procedure.

if it had updated, wouldn’t it have gone to .400
You are probably right. I have not updated for a couple years so am not familiar with current versions.

You stated that your iPhone does not update anything, but it sure sounds like you have auto update turned on. It is on by default unless you have turned it off.

A similar thing happened to me, but it was a video feed instead of control problem. One day perfect, the next day unusable. In my case, Android Play Store was set to auto update my apps; including Go 4. I had to downgrade to make it work and turn off auto update (I also never connect to the internet while I am flying). It was long ago and not iOS so I am sure the procedure to roll back will be different for you. Someone should chime in shortly with your procedure.
Rest assured that auto update is turned off and always has been.

if it had updated, wouldn’t it have gone to .400
I know for sure it was on .200 and it flew rock solid (very pleasurable to fly) and the next morning it was with the firmware .300 with the drone never being powered on. And DJI removed the .200 firmware option from the Assistant 2. Is that so people will purchase their more expensive drones? ? WT* DJI???
Does anyone still have the firmware .200 option showing in their Assistant 2?
I fly with friends that updated to the .300 when it became available and they all rolled back to the .200. They did not like the. 300 firmware!

dirkclod, thanks for taking an interest to try and understand what is going on here.
In my DJI FLY, “Firmware Auto Download“ is not turned on. It is the same as the above picture.
Ok well I don’t see how your firmware changed on it’s on.Is odd. I have mine on off also but do update as soon as anything comes out and not had any issues yet.
The only issues I see a lot of is when firmware and app
software don’t match.
Anyway just saw your issue and thought that might be it.
edit/ now check that setting with all powered up. Sometimes it doesn’t show things when it’s powered off.
I took that screenshot with just the app on.

Ok well I don’t see how your firmware changed on it’s on.Is odd. I have mine on off also but do update as soon as anything comes out and not had any issues yet.
The only issues I see a lot of is when firmware and app
software don’t match.
Anyway just saw your issue and thought that might be it.
edit/ now check that setting with all powered up. Sometimes it doesn’t show things when it’s powered off.
I took that screenshot with just the app on.
With everything powered on, nothing is different, all the settings still show the same.

@OregonEd : you mentioned Assistant 2. Why are you using Assistant 2 on your Mini? I'm wondering if Assistant 2 is doing the undesirable update on its own? I never use Assistant 2 (except to calibrate the visual sensors on my Mavic Pro, once).

I don't have a Mini, so I'm not familiar with how it updates.

@OregonEd : you mentioned Assistant 2. Why are you using Assistant 2 on your Mini? I'm wondering if Assistant 2 is doing the undesirable update on its own? I never use Assistant 2 (except to calibrate the visual sensors on my Mavic Pro, once).

I don't have a Mini, so I'm not familiar with how it updates.

I have an MP1 also and a Mini. The Mini updates the same way as the MP1, either through the app or Dji Assistant 2 for Mavic.

I prefer to use Assistant. That way I know for sure everything (controller, aircraft and batteries) are all on the same page.

I have an MP1 also and a Mini. The Mini updates the same way as the MP1, either through the app or Dji Assistant 2 for Mavic.

I prefer to use Assistant. That way I know for sure everything (controller, aircraft and batteries) are all on the same page.
YES! That is exactly correct.

Perhaps at this point upgrade firmware and app to 400 since you don't seem to have a means to revert to 200. That might restabilize it. Don't forget to do both the AC and RC.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BHU