DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Disable Charge Phone

PracticallyGeek

Reactions
Hello all,

Newbie here, I've been flying drones off and on for the past 4 years and last month I decided to go more expensive then I have done in the past and get the Air 2.
I've been loving it and have been flying just on my local field to get used to all the different modes etc Sport mode has been fun and I'm getting more confident as the week go on.

Today though I made the rookie mistake in not making sure my RC remote was charge and it cut of flying for a few hours while I went home and charged. I've now made sure to top up my power bank just in case
but my issue is that I don't want the RC charging my phone, I've been speaking to a guy in UK like me but flies with iphone and not Android like me who said there is an option on the control settings to disable charge phone.
The android app version however does not have this, anyone had any luck with any workarounds or know of this issue?
Would be horrible to not have the option as my RC remote drains so much, I have searched online and did see this being brought up about the Mavic Pro etc so maybe it's just always been the case.

Thank you

Bryan Field

hi there,
it can be done, but not easy, root or modified cable or .... (start reading:) :)
Search results for query: Disable Charge Phone
but you can always plug in a 100% charged phone so the "damage" will be way less.
(and don't forget to disable everything on the phone that you don't need during the flight (background tasks and apps, BT, wifi, play store auto update etc etc )...

Rooting a phone can brick the phone if it goes wrong and apparently not all phones then give you the option to switch off this charging. Besides which, if your phone is new, you run the risk of invalidating your warranty .
I have a USB ammeter and going by that, the state of charge of the phone makes very little difference to the current it draws from the controller.
I assume the Air 2's controller behaves, in this respect, in the same way as do the controllers of the Phantom 3 adv, the Mavic Mini and the Mavic 2 Pro.

Regarding alternative solutions see How not to let phone draw power?

I have read somewhere (possibly Wikipedia) that this charging is dictated by the rules that govern the use of these USB connections. There is mention of something along those lines in the second post of Mavic Mini Remote Charges my Phone

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi PracticallyGeek Welcome to Mavic Pilots
I wouldn't worry about the phone charging it is only a trickle charge.
In my experience when using a 10” tablet I could fly 4 batteries in my MP2 & still have loads of charge left in the controller.
I would assume the Air 2 will be the same.

I went looking for the specs of the Air2 controller, it's battery capacity is 'enormous', 5200mAh, that's twice the capacity of the Mavic Mini's and getting close to the capacity of the Phantom 3 adv's.

Then I saw the "operating" current [email protected] that a misprint???????? Even the iOS 'draw' is listed as 700mA! Someone 'needs' to stick an ammeter between the controller and the viewing device

Attachments

• Mavic Air 2- controller Specifications from manual.png
    Mavic Air 2- controller Specifications from manual.png
    21.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Mavic Air 2- controller Specifications from specs page.png
    Mavic Air 2- controller Specifications from specs page.png
    31.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all,

Newbie here, I've been flying drones off and on for the past 4 years and last month I decided to go more expensive then I have done in the past and get the Air 2.
I've been loving it and have been flying just on my local field to get used to all the different modes etc Sport mode has been fun and I'm getting more confident as the week go on.

Today though I made the rookie mistake in not making sure my RC remote was charge and it cut of flying for a few hours while I went home and charged. I've now made sure to top up my power bank just in case
but my issue is that I don't want the RC charging my phone, I've been speaking to a guy in UK like me but flies with iphone and not Android like me who said there is an option on the control settings to disable charge phone.
The android app version however does not have this, anyone had any luck with any workarounds or know of this issue?
Would be horrible to not have the option as my RC remote drains so much, I have searched online and did see this being brought up about the Mavic Pro etc so maybe it's just always been the case.

Thank you

Bryan Field
Android devices draw a little less than 500 mA to communicate with a controller. Here's my solution for both a Mini, (DJI FLY) and a Pro, (Go4). I attach the power bank with Vecro. I can be adjusted for perfect ballance.

Attachments

• Mini OTG.jpg
    Mini OTG.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 28
  • Pro OTG .jpg
    Pro OTG .jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 25
Then I saw the "operating" current [email protected] that a misprint???????? Even the iOS 'draw' is listed as 700mA! Someone 'needs' to stick an ammeter between the controller and the viewing device
Page 31 of the User Manual - "The built-in battery has a capacity of 5200 mAh and a maximum run time of 6 hours. The remote controller charges the mobile device with a charging ability of 500 mA@5V."

With a fully charged controller, my android phone, and 3 batteries; I can operate the controller for 75 minutes and still be at 3 leds on the controller.

Reactions: AngelWings78
Ahhh thanks, at a guess then the "operating current" is that drawn from the controller's battery to both power the controller and 'feed' the phone.

I'm more worried about remembering to set it to charge my Iphone. I charge the controller every time I charge batteries and I always have. I've never come close to using up the charge on any controller. My Air 2 with the Fly app seems to me much harder on my phone battery than any of the rest of my drones have been.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
llMUTTZZll