DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Disable sideways movement

skunky1

Reactions
Hi

Im a newcomer here and just got my drone a few weeks ago so quite a noob.

Is there a way to disable the side movements on your right joystick completely?

I just want to retain yaw and up/down and forward/backward

Hi

You might be able to do it via a "custom" stick mode, be careful that you assign all the controls except for the left/right sideways movement.
However left and sideways movement is useful if you want to pan past a point of interest from side on, it may be helpful to avoid a collision as well.

1597802740183.png

Reactions: LakeErieFlier
Hi

Just curious... Why in the world would you want to do that, especially as a NOOB?
I don't want to come off seeming like a wise-a** and am saying this with the utmost sincerity...but the easiest way to "disable" the side motion is don't push the right stick to the side. There are going to be times when you'll be grateful the sideways motion is there- even if you don't use it.

Just curious... Why in the world would you want to do that, especially as a NOOB?
I don't want to come off seeming like a wise-a** and am saying this with the utmost sincerity...but the easiest way to "disable" the side motion is don't push the right stick to the side. There are going to be times when you'll be grateful the sideways motion is there- even if you don't use it.
Its just that I'm trying to learn by keeping the controls simple. I was never a gamer so controllers are new to me.

So I just want up/down and forward and backwards for now as I practice in a field.

I find that when I want to yaw I accidentally use the right stick and I want to avoid that for now

Which model Drone?

Its just that I'm trying to learn by keeping the controls simple. I was never a gamer so controllers are new to me.

So I just want up/down and forward and backwards for now as I practice in a field.

I find that when I want to yaw I accidentally use the right stick and I want to avoid that for now
IMHO this would be a very bad idea. You are flying in a dynamic 3-D environment, and to disable any degree of motion just makes it dangerous. As a noob, I would suggest going out to a big field and practice flying with ONE stick at a time. Get used to what that stick does. Until you get used to handling both sticks, make sure you only use one stick with deliberate (yet gentle and small) movements at a time. That way you learn, and yet have the ability to use that second stick if needed. It just takes time and practice.

If it's any consolation plenty of people have been there before. It's better (IMHO) if you practice using all axes... rather than disable them and bring them in one by one.

Reactions: Scubadiver1944

@PhantomFandom said, it could be dangerous.
Assuming that you have never held a gaming controller in your life (as I have neither), if you are at this point uncomfortable operating a vehicle in 3D, then instead of disabling one of the controls, you need to slow down, break everything down and keep everything very, very close. There is nothing that says you have to fly more than 10 feet from where you stand until you get comfortable. Small movements in all directions will get you oriented in no time. I promise, it won't take long.

Here is another tip that I'll pass on from one who is now just exiting the noobie stage myself. Put a light or strobe or something on the front of your drone so you can see when it's pointed toward you. I know the M2 has lights on the legs. Until you get used to what the phone screen is telling you, you'll want as much visual aid as possible to spot how the drone is oriented. Just a few hundred yards away it begins looking like a large spec. I found a $5 LED light mounted on the top/front to be helpful as well as reflective tape on the front arms. I've since graduated to strobes which I like a lot. YMMV

Mini-wLED.jpg

Reactions: Camino Ken
Right stick is the one you should become most familiar with. I still have a second of pause when she is flying toward me and the actions are reversed.

Great. Thanks for all the advice..
@vindibona1 the light us a great idea
You're welcome. Velcro is your friend :). FWIW I attach the female side of the velcro on the drone and the male side on the accessories. Once you get going and start flying higher and farther I highly recommend a strobe or strobes. I attach a clear one on the bottom and red and green strobes on the front arms. They make it so much easier to spot your drone at distance. Not cheap, but I'm glad I spend the money for them.

I'm not seeing/understanding the no side option on the Mavic Air 2. Is it for APAS? hope someone enlightens me. :rolleyes:

It's an automated setting in APAS that will stop a MA2 from flying around an obstacle to avoid it.
Primarily useful for tight locations

Reactions: Sady and hiflyer201
It's an automated setting in APAS that will stop a MA2 from flying around an obstacle to avoid it.
Primarily useful for tight locations
Thanks for the info. I'm been without a phone that I can use with the fly app for the last few days.

I'm anxious to see all the new stuff

Practice, practice, practice is the answer. Slow easy movements on the stick. I've been flying drones for over two years and still push the wrong stick occasionally when not paying close attention. I would never disable side movements, you might need it. You can change which stick controls which movement. My right stick controls up and down and turning, my left stick foreword and reverse and sideways, just my preference.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom