DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Discharging batteries

Antaire

Reactions
If not being used for 10 days how do you people discharge your batteries.

The Mavic batteries are smart batteries that will self-discharge to the best storage level after 10 days. You can reset the time for a short period to self-discharge using the GO4 app.

Yes but not the mini batteries s they don't auto discharge.

You could leave them in the charger and use it to charge other devices.
The Mavic batteries are smart batteries that will self-discharge to the best storage level after 10 days. You can reset the time for a short period to self-discharge using the GO4 app.

Reactions: StubbornSwiss
Yes but not the mini batteries s they don't auto discharge.

You could leave them in the charger and use it to charge other devices.
if you have a fully charged MM battery that needs to be discharged to a storage level then just put one only in the hub and then plug your phone or other device or even your controller into the USB port and it will discharge it ,dont leave all three in the hub as then it discharges them down one at a time after they are really low dont leave them unattended during the discharge process as you dont want the to get down to less than 50% for storage

Does this include the controller?
none of the controller batts auto discharge in any of the mavics it usual to store them around 45%to 65% when not in use ,we are talking long term storage here not wont be flying for a few days the trick is to make sure everything is fully charged before you intend to fly dont overthink battery care

I have an Air, so the batteries will self-discharge, but I prefer not to leave them fully charged for 10 days.

I just hover it in my lounge room till it drops to 50%. I keep an eye on it of course; it doesn’t have gps indoors and can drift a little, but it is easy to nudge it back, and it doesn’t go far.

Reactions: Antaire
As suggested here. Place a single battery in the hub and connect a phone or other item to drain. Keep an eye on it. For my Mavic Air, I use a "smart discharger" Smart discharger.jpg. You can select amp draw and it will discharge to (default) 3.8v, good storage state. Great way to discharge unspent batteries. Fast, accurate and consistent. ISDT Discharger Works for me. I am planning and similar setup for my MM, when I get around to it.

As suggested here. Place a single battery in the hub and connect a phone or other item to drain. Keep an eye on it. For my Mavic Air, I use a "smart discharger" View attachment 88495. You can select amp draw and it will discharge to (default) 3.8v, good storage state. Great way to discharge unspent batteries. Fast, accurate and consistent. ISDT Discharger Works for me. I am planning and similar setup for my MM, when I get around to it.

Quick question.
Did you just connect to discharger to all the cells in a parallel connection? Im planning to make a discharger for my MM

Reactions: WooZie
Except the manual explicit states that they cannot self discharge as they lack the logic/hardware to do so.

On Page 20 the second bullet point.
View attachment 91529

I wasn't referring to a smart battery that has circuitry specifically to allow the batteries to discharge to a certain level. I was speaking in general about discharge characteristics of batteries in general. I don't know this for certain but I believe even smart batteries over time will continue to discharge below the ideal battery level for storage.

Reactions: netsonic
And I agree with you, however the discharge rate of 22% is a bit too much for something that has no discharge feature in the time frame of just 10 days.

1579624912893.png

Also keep in mind that storage temperature will impact the rate of discharge (higher temperature increase discharge rate)…

"The self-discharge of all battery chemistries increases at higher temperature, and the rate typically doubles with every 10°C (18°F)."

Storing the batteries at 77F versus 59F (10C difference) will double the self-discharge rate.

Fair point. Do you imply that OP did not store those batteries propperly ? I ask because if 5% is expected under normal temperature and 10% is it's double rate if they are stored 10C hotter than expected and the discharge was 22% things point towards this, based on logical deduction.

Or they were not 100% charged and the discharge was lower than 22%. This can be combined with storing them at a higher temperature and is more plausible. We can only speculate as OP knows best how it better how he stored them.

As suggested here. Place a single battery in the hub and connect a phone or other item to drain. Keep an eye on it. For my Mavic Air, I use a "smart discharger" View attachment 88495. You can select amp draw and it will discharge to (default) 3.8v, good storage state. Great way to discharge unspent batteries. Fast, accurate and consistent. ISDT Discharger Works for me. I am planning and similar setup for my MM, when I get around to it.
If I purchased the ISDT Discharger, how would I connect to the Mavic 2 battery?

I am away, just now, but here is a link to an idea to get you underway.

Hope this helps.

I just shortcharge them to ~50% after flying down a battery then charge up fully when intending to fly, that way i dont get stuck with full batteries most of the time. If i do however, just chuck them in the battery bank or some adapter and use the power to charge up a phone or tablet, haven't had to do it very often tho.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580