DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Displays overheatIng

Jet skier

Reactions
How do you guys in the south keep your displays from overheating, I live in Minneapolis and both my iPhone and crystal sky overheat if it is over 85° ? I usually try to stand in the shade with no visor on the control .

I have experienced this with my Mavic Air and a Google Pixel without any case on it. I didn’t take off out of an abundance of caution but am certainly curious about how flyable this would be with the remote only in a return to home situation with a phone in shutdown mode.

In Phoenix area summers I frequently fly when the air temp is 99-104 degrees F. I fly only with my CS. I remove the battery after “warm day” flights to aid cooling the drone.
I do not notice anything getting beyond “warm” except the motors on my M2P, especially the front ones.
My CS with hood never gets more than slightly warm when used in full sun.

At temps over 100 I like to let the bird sit until everything seems about ambient temp.

but am certainly curious about how flyable this would be with the remote only in a return to home situation with a phone in shutdown mode.
The phone doesn't affect the flyability of the drone.
Do a little practise sometime in a large, clear area.
With the drone up in the air but visible, pull the cable from your phone and keep flying with the controller to see how you still have full control.
Then fly the drone more than 60 feet away and switch off the controller to see how things work if you ever lose the controller or just control signal.

Reactions: Mossiback
The phone doesn't affect the flyability of the drone.
Do a little practise sometime in a large, clear area.
With the drone up in the air but visible, pull the cable from your phone and keep flying with the controller to see how you still have full control.
Then fly the drone more than 60 feet away and switch off the controller to see how things work if you ever lose the controller or just control signal.
Good test.
Just be sure you know the expected behavior of the drone (RTH vs hover) from your settings and for RTH be sure the height entered will clear obstructions but not rise under tree canopies, etc.

My iPad often overheats and shuts down if I am flying in weather above 80 degrees and it is exposed to the sun. It takes a while to cool down, even in front of a vent with the air conditioning on. I usually have at least two iPads with me and just swap a new one in while flying.

My iPad often overheats and shuts down if I am flying in weather above 80 degrees and it is exposed to the sun. It takes a while to cool down, even in front of a vent with the air conditioning on. I usually have at least two iPads with me and just swap a new one in while flying.

Which iPad (generation). If you don't know, look a the small print on the back. There'll be a Model number in small print at the bottom. Use table here:

1566253380667.png

Which iPad (generation). If you don't know, look a the small print on the back. There'll be a Model number in small print at the bottom. Use table here:

View attachment 79985
They are iPad Air 2. I have three. Only one has a SIM card. Other than overheating the odd time, they work great for flying. I fly for work as well and use them with both models of the Mavic Enterprise, Mavic Pros, a P4P, and a couple of P4s.

The iPads also overheat if it is warm and I am using them on my deck surfing the internet, sitting in the sun, so it is not just a flying thing.

I try to find a spot in the shade I can fly from to prevent overheating and also makes it easier to see the screen without a hood.

They are iPad Air 2. I have three. Only one has a SIM card. Other than overheating the odd time, they work great for flying. I fly for work as well and use them with both models of the Mavic Enterprise, Mavic Pros, a P4P, and a couple of P4s.

The iPads also overheat if it is warm and I am using them on my deck surfing the internet, sitting in the sun, so it is not just a flying thing.

I try to find a spot in the shade I can fly from to prevent overheating and also makes it easier to see the screen without a hood.

Thanks for that.

I've got an iPad mini 2 and it does get hot after flying for a while on a hot day. I get CPU overload errors at that time, and the video stutters making it difficult to control the bird.

I'm planning on getting a new iPad 5, which has a much more capable processor. BUT I don't know if that will solve the performance issue or not. I don't care if the iPad gets hot, but I don't want my the DJI Go app to get laggy.

yikes. i've heard people talk about apple products overheating but never knew it was to the point of simply web surfing in the sun. are we talking about 80F or 100F ambient temperature?? just curious.

I'm an android user and only once experienced my phone stuttering during Go4 a few months ago when I was in Utah. It was about 98F ambient and I was in the sun, noticed the app was laggy. I chocked it up to the phone and RC overheating. My mistake for attempting to fly in those conditions.

But my Samsung tablets and moto phones have not had issues with heat whether in the sun or not for plain surfing and emailing. Not to say they woulnd't, I just have never noticed.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98