DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ditched my Mavic 2 Zoom, ordered the Mavic Mini

hquant

Reactions
I sold my Mavic 2 Zoom to downgrade to a Mavic Mini. Before the Mavic Zoom I had the Mavic Air, but that was
a noisy bugger that got on my nerves. The Mavic Zoom is great in principle. It is rather silent and has great range,
but it is a complex drone and I am a recreational pilot. The Go Fly app is becoming more crowded by the week and
increasingly stressful to use. In short it got on my nerves. Secondly it is a massive piece of kit. Not really that
great to carry around.

So I opted for a downgrade. The Mini is small, lightweight, easy to carry around and quite capable. The biggest
con is certainly the lack of occusync. Since I live in Germany this is expecially painful, since I will be flying in
CE mode. CE is quite weak compared to FCC. And from what I gathered so far, GPS spoofing will no longer
be able to trick the drone into FCC-Mode. Anyway, I am relieved to be rid of the zoom and looking forward to
receiving my new toy drone.

Good heavens. Big? I have a M2P and and a Phantom Advanced - now that’s a big drone; the Mavic is tiny compared to it.

You should look into getting a RQ-4 Global Hawk to top things off, now that's a big drone. It also makes short work of
people you strongly dislike...

Make sure that you get the Fly More Combo with the carrying case...

You should look into getting a RQ-4 Global Hawk to top things off, now that's a big drone. It also makes short work of

Ordered this one, but cancelled when I learned the ground crew and tow vehicle were not included... ;)

I like the mini, but the no sensors killed it for me. I let family fly it and the sensors have saved it many times. With the mini..... I can't give it to anyone.

For this you might need Part 107 certificate for sure

It’s not a downgrade. It will just fit your needs better.

Same for me. Hope occusync will come with a next mini version. I just love the size.

Cheers
Alexander
PS. Add the protective cage for your family ?

Reactions: Paulf10 and bebbe
It’s not a downgrade. It will just fit your needs better.

Same for me. Hope occusync will come with a next mini version. I just love the size.

Cheers
Alexander
PS. Add the protective cage for your family ?

Occusync and activetrack hopefully. And hopefully it's only a firmware upgrade rather than entirely new version.

Last edited:
I did the same thing and I could not be happier. The zoom was awesome but it just drew alot more attention. Honestly I flew mine in a manner where obstacle avoidance wasn't necessary. The Mini defenatly fits my needs better.

Think you made a god choice [emoji106]

Occusync and activetrack hopefully. And hopefully it's only a firmware upgrade rather than entirely new version.
That’s not gonna happen. Occusynch needs completely different hardware, and active track won’t be added because DJI have stated publicly on their official forums that it won’t.

Reactions: Thomas B
I love my mini, I know it’s not a proffesional drone but it does have a lot of potential and is great fun to fly, the only thing I can’t stand is the terrible signal range here In the uk.

I can barely get out 60m distance and 50-60 m height before signal disconnects and it auto returns to home. I’ve only had a few flights in my large local park, and nature reserve area which is in a built up area, but I would expect it would go a hundred metres before any issues. I can see why they limited the quick shot distances now.

Il eventually head out to more rural spots, but for now flying locally it’s a real shame and frustrating , that i have to keep it close like a Childrens rc Quadcopter.

I sold my Mavic 2 Zoom to downgrade to a Mavic Mini. Before the Mavic Zoom I had the Mavic Air, but that was
a noisy bugger that got on my nerves. The Mavic Zoom is great in principle. It is rather silent and has great range,
but it is a complex drone and I am a recreational pilot. The Go Fly app is becoming more crowded by the week and
increasingly stressful to use. In short it got on my nerves. Secondly it is a massive piece of kit. Not really that
great to carry around.

So I opted for a downgrade. The Mini is small, lightweight, easy to carry around and quite capable. The biggest
con is certainly the lack of occusync. Since I live in Germany this is expecially painful, since I will be flying in
CE mode. CE is quite weak compared to FCC. And from what I gathered so far, GPS spoofing will no longer
be able to trick the drone into FCC-Mode. Anyway, I am relieved to be rid of the zoom and looking forward to

I am not sure why you would down grade, or sell your #Mavic 2 - thats a sold drone mate! I think you're going to be a little disappointed but I could be wrong. You will not be able to fly nearly as far or high and the quality of pictures will not be nearly as good! I guess it all depends on what you want out of drone. Just remember with this new Mavic Mini one good gust of wind and bye bye Mavic mini and thats a fact! This is happening to a lot of people b/c they think they can fly them like the Mavic Pro or like your Mavic Pro2 and ya cant. Enjoy either way and safe flying..

To each there own is what I say. :) Personally, I would have held onto the M2Z

great to carry around.

I’m getting the Mavic Mini but I’m keeping my Mavic Pro, Mavic Zoom 2 as well! I’m getting the Mini for Vacation Shots and things like that!

I am not sure why you would down grade, or sell your #Mavic 2 - thats a sold drone mate! I think you're going to be a little disappointed but I could be wrong. You will not be able to fly nearly as far or high and the quality of pictures will not be nearly as good! I guess it all depends on what you want out of drone. Just remember with this new Mavic Mini one good gust of wind and bye bye Mavic mini and thats a fact! This is happening to a lot of people b/c they think they can fly them like the Mavic Pro or like your Mavic Pro2 and ya cant. Enjoy either way and safe flying..

You are probably right. I guess I will regret my decision on sevaral occaisons, but that is what I experienced with my M2Z as well. Only the subject of my disappointment was different in the past. But I will let you know my true feelings once I get my hands on it.

great to carry around.

Oh no say it ain't so. Really should have kept the Mavic Zoom. Probably will get frustrated with the limits on the Mavic Mini. I was flying the Mavic Mini yesterday and was thinking sure am glad I have the Mavic 2 Pro and Mavic Pro. I love the extended range of both.

I certainly see the Mini being superior for travel, but that’s about it. The M2Zoom is what I use, and I am beyond impressed with it. The stability, range, and features can’t be duplicated by the Mini. I think of them as two totally different aircraft, with different roles. Sort of like “downgrading” your F-18 to buy a Cessna. But if it fits your role better, more power to you.

I got a good laugh at you comment. I just have to be the party pooper about the, “makes short work of people you strongly dislike” comment...?

The Global Hawk can’t carry ordnance. For dealing with those people you’re going to need the much smaller Reaper or Predator. ;)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lboogie007