DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DIVE BOMBED FROM 400ft - because of an add-on

quantumvortex

Reactions
So the unthinkable happened but my Pro went into a complete stukka like (with a right hand twist) DIVE BOMB WITH motors running because apparently the logs tell me MY LIGHT CUBES which were attached caused the ambient light sensor to completely LOSE IT. It was at night and I had both cubes set to full strobe at full LUMEN brightness setting. So even though it went up ok I am assuming a certain maneuver/turn caused the sensor to overcompensate on the lights.

It looked like a freaking quasar when it came down - total sci-fi movie type **** - and it went fast right into a set of bushes/'slash undeveloped lot next door. SO the only thing that happened to it was all props broke clean off and it absolutely MUNCHED the gimbal/camera. The front pegs right under the red led lights also broke/bent AFT.

If it came down just about 2.5 feet to the right it would have hit curb/concrete/asphalt. Now I got to see how I can get it fixed. PICS to follow shortly ....!!!!

Ugh. I hate to hear about the crash but kinda relieved for you that there doesn't seem to be any permanent flight and/or photo taking damage... Whew!

So the unthinkable happened but my Pro went into a complete stukka like (with a right hand twist) DIVE BOMB WITH motors running because apparently the logs tell me MY LIGHT CUBES which were attached caused the ambient light sensor to completely LOSE IT. It was at night and I had both cubes set to full strobe at full LUMEN brightness setting. So even though it went up ok I am assuming a certain maneuver/turn caused the sensor to overcompensate on the lights.

It looked like a freaking quasar when it came down - total sci-fi movie type **** - and it went fast right into a set of bushes/'slash undeveloped lot next door. SO the only thing that happened to it was all props broke clean off and it absolutely MUNCHED the gimbal/camera. The front pegs right under the red led lights also broke/bent AFT.

If it came down just about 2.5 feet to the right it would have hit curb/concrete/asphalt. Now I got to see how I can get it fixed. PICS to follow shortly ....!!!!

How, exactly, did your flight logs tell you that?

Ugh. I hate to hear about the crash but kinda relieved for you that there doesn't seem to be any permanent flight and/or photo taking damage... Whew!

Well the GIMBAL is completely mangled so I got to get a new one and see if any related systems have sustained "quasar" damage :).

If you will post your flight log here some of these guys can tell you exactly what went wrong .

Well the GIMBAL is completely mangled so I got to get a new one and see if any related systems have sustained "quasar" damage :).
Ugh. (again). Ok. Sorry.
Well, is this something you'll change by? Meaning, night lights or extended landing gear (which I've read can cause sensor issues too) or any sort of heavy physical modding?? Will you not use your lights anymore??

Ugh. (again). Ok. Sorry.
Well, is this something you'll change by? Meaning, night lights or extended landing gear (which I've read can cause sensor issues too) or any sort of heavy physical modding?? Will you not use your lights anymore??

Great points, however I have used my lights plenty of times. This time though I strobed them to max frequency and set them to brightest. That might be it, ...its the KILL setting, all dialed up.

it said it on screen in form of an alert which gets logged ;)

Right. It told you that the problem was the light cubes, or just that there was some kind of sensor issue?

That sounds like a few too many assumptions.
You got a message about ambient light affecting sensors and you had a crash.
Was the message saying that ambient light was too low for the obstacle avoidance sensors to work?
If so, that's just an advisory informing you that the OA sensors aren't working because light levels are too low.
But sensors working or not doesn't cause the drone to fall from the sky.
You need to post flight data to get a better idea of what happened.

Reactions: WAXMAN and sar104

Mine has done exactly the same tonight. The only difference between tonight’s flight and the dozens of others is that it was pitch dark and I had the Cree strobes on.
I managed to gain a bit of control and came in for a fast landing but managed to clip a fence post when a few inches off the ground. When I recovered my bird, she was undamaged except for a broken prop. I removed the strobes and age flew 3 more flights without incident.
It was really weird, she hovered for a few seconds after the home point was recorded, then just took off, flying backwards in a large semi circle as if it was flying backwards to avoid something. Luckily she wasn’t very high and I managed to bring her down for a fast landing.

Last edited:
Mine has done exactly the same tonight. The only difference between tonight’s flight and the dozens of others is that it was pitch dark and I had the Cree strobes on.
I managed to gain a bit of control and came in for a fast landing but managed to clip a fence post when a few inches off the ground. When I recovered my bird, she was undamaged except for a broken prop. I removed the strobes and age flew 3 more flights without incident.
It was really weird, she hovered for a few seconds after the home point was recorded, then just took off, flying backwards in a large semi circle as if it was flying backwards to avoid something. Luckily she wasn’t very high and I managed to bring her down for a fast landing.

That sounds much more like compass interference than anything to do with the lights.

OP, Sounds like a mid flight prop failure with the spiraling down. Sensors would make it stop where it is.

I agree with @sar104 that @choochoo had a bad compass reading from the launch place.

Without the logs being posted by the OP so Sar or one of the others can say for sure all you guys got is speculation why it crashed .
Sorry Sar I like to look at ya graph's .;)

Without the logs being posted by the OP so Sar or one of the others can say for sure all you guys got is speculation why it crashed .
Sorry Sar I like to look at ya graph's .;)

I know, you're putting my brother to work! Hahaha!

Now look what I have went and done .
facepalm.gif

Reactions: charliesRig

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929