DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DIY drop mechanism for 5 bucks

I made a drop mechanism today. The parts cost less than $5 on Amazon.

It functions by turning on the red LEDs in mavic.

I will do a much more detailed write up tomorrow....but here is video from my first test flight:

Neat. HOw much weight can it handle before it gets sketchy?

Mavic carrying capacity is more of a novelty than any sort of heavy lifter.

From YouTube, it looks like 1 pound is about the max. With mavic technically able to takeoff with 2 pounds but unable to lift 3.

so you are saying I can have beers delivered by the poolside?

Reactions: Kennetf
I made a drop mechanism today. The parts cost less than $5 on Amazon.

It functions by turning on the red LEDs in mavic.

I will do a much more detailed write up tomorrow....but here is video from my first test flight:

Neat! Whenever you do your more detailed write up tomorrow please include Amazon Cat. numbers. Thanks....

So do you turn the leds off on the mavic, and the photoresister is position in front of one of them, then turn leds on to drop??

There are a couple of companies selling ready made systems based on that same principle.

You can also do this with littleBits. They are a bit pricier, but they simply connect by a magnet and require no soldering.

LittleBits? link, please.

light sensor

servo

attatch these to a power bit and adjust the light sensor so that it directly faces the leds. set the sensor to trigger when it recognises no light. set the servo to run once (will only rotate from the up position to down position)
attatch your item to the servo with a string of cord.
In the air, switch off your aircrafts leds. This will trigger the circuit and the servo will start rotating, the attached item will slip off the servos arm and fall towards the ground.

I modified the hull with a tiny port to wire the action to a relay. Gives me a modular setup with a reliable event trigger. Opens up the options.

Reactions: Borntofly
There are a couple of companies selling ready made systems based on that same principle.

Any links? I'd like to rig it to a light controller & battery for remote on/off of strobes...saw one with a 3.5mm plug on the end...That the one?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potenthockey0