DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DIY my own Cree XML strobe light (estimated 3W)

lee82gx

Reactions
I want to share my side project which I've been working on for some time.

This comes from my crash a few months ago, due to my own foolishness (95%) but also due to lack of visibility at night (5%).
lu
In Malaysia, we don't have access to Firehouse, Strobon or even Lumecube.

I bought a "3W strobe" that was very meh, when i couldn't even see this from 1km at dusk.

So I decided to convert an XML Cree single cell torchlight into a self contained, USB charge controlled battery powered light unit.

base on the battery charging controller specs, the maximum current out of the battery board will be 1A. hence I estimate about 3W real power going into the LED. battery life with a 125mah battery is about 90minutes on the lame "SOS" strobe.

without further ado, here is a video:

I also modified my strobe from China, with dual parallel Cree XPE's. the power controller is wired to reduce the current going out to the LED,s and my knowledge (Mechanical degree) only got me a bit further, by reducing the R of the base of the transistor. Which according to Googly reading increases the current gain. As this unit strobes continuously, it is difficult to measure the current, but based on my amp meter, on peak, it was doubled after I reduced the resistors value from 10k to 20 ohm. battery life on double strobe is more than 2 hours.

I will find a time (dawn or dusk but not night anymore) to test the visibility.

Did you record the modification process? I, for one, would find a video of that useful.

Reactions: Hauptmann
Did you record the modification process? I, for one, would find a video of that useful.
unfortunately, i did not.....as it involves also making a battery pack and was over a few days.

i can share some basic schematics.

you do mean the powerful cree xml one yeah?

Reactions: Hauptmann
Hi, Lee!
Looks like a great way to increase VLOS. Please keep us posted on your distance tests!

Thanks! Hauptmann

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada