DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DIY tablet with a high nit screen?

tusc

Reactions
As some of us are looking for a bright tablet screen I was wondering if the idea of a do it yourself android device with a high nit screen a possibility?

There are some old threads in the DJI forums on running GO 4 on raspberry pi hardware: DJI Go 4 App for android and exotic setups experiments

Granted, the processing power of the rasp3 and 4 probably wont cut it for DJI Fly. Something like this with a high nit screen might work: ODROID-N2 with 2GByte RAM – ODROID
There's a 64 bit Android image available: odroid-n2:os_images:android:android [ODROID Wiki]

This screen is supposedly capable of 780 cd/m2: NHD-7.0-800480MB-ASXN-T NHD-7.0-800480MB-ASXN-T [7.0in Diagonal - 189.68mm x 106.7mm (O.D.)] - $93.68 : Newhaven Display International, Inc.

I'm just not sure if the display DPI interface is compatible.

it's 800X480, you just bought a drone who's list of fantastic features includes smooth 1080p h.265 streaming. What's your main purpose? a super bright display? you need an ARM based proc(or risk crashing a lot), and I'd be looking for an ips screen with at least 1080p , perhaps oled, but oled isn't always very bright. Personally I'd think you're better off hunting up the brightest androd tablet you can find, that is new enough to handle h.265

IPad Mini 5 is what you want.
The ipad mini is only 500 nits which is about the same as the galaxy tab s6, if you just want bright you can get the nearly 7 in screen of the Note 10 plus at almost 700 nits, which is what I'm using right now.

Highest nit phone is lg g7 thin q at 1000. Not sure if it supports fly app. It’s a sub 150 phone used.

it's 800X480, you just bought a drone who's list of fantastic features includes smooth 1080p h.265 streaming. What's your main purpose? a super bright display? you need an ARM based proc(or risk crashing a lot), and I'd be looking for an ips screen with at least 1080p , perhaps oled, but oled isn't always very bright. Personally I'd think you're better off hunting up the brightest androd tablet you can find, that is new enough to handle h.265

Yeah resolution is a bit low. Here's a 1024x600 IPS screen with 900 nits and HDMI interface: NHD-7.0-HDMI-HR-RSXP-CTU [7.0in Diagonal - 189.68mm x 106.7mm (O.D.)] - $119.31 : Newhaven Display International, Inc.

They highest nit screen they offer can do 1100 cd/m2 but does not include a touch screen.

Newhaven Display is in Elgin, IL which is not far from me ironically. I might have to see if I can get an eval board.

Incidentally, the Odroid N2 is based on an Amlgoic S992x which fully support h.265: Amlogic S922X vs S912: Which Chipset is Best? | Home Theatre Life

Highest nit phone is lg g7 thin q at 1000. Not sure if it supports fly app. It’s a sub 150 phone used.

But does it actually sustain that nit level for a long time, and how fast does battery discharge when using it at full brightness?

EDIT: Never mind.....the brightness Boost feature lasts a maximum of 3 minutes per a review I just watched.

Last edited:
It might not be nits that helps. Does a backlight screen option like on some samsung tablets actually do a good job in the sunlight? I see this has come up before...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada