DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI’s new Mavic Pro Low Noise Props is quieter and stays in the air a bit longer

Status
Not open for further replies.

biteme323

Reactions
I finally get my hands dirty with the new DJI Mavic Pro Low Noise Propellers which is something I always wonder if they do something about the noise. Well, let’s see if it’s more quieter as we would all hope and more flight time as a bonus.

I think I should give you a little context of why I wish the Mavic Pro is quieter. My usual use case is, traveling somewhere else that I am not familiar with, launch my Mavic Pro for a few minutes to take some stunning footage, then move on. And yet, people will come up to me and start saying “how cool is that? Can you really see what you are shooting right in your phone?” It’s kind of cool to be the gadget kid on the block. But after awhile, it will just become distractions. What I want to accomplish in each of my mission is to take whatever footage I need and leave, in a stealth mode. That’s the time I wish my Mavic Pro is more quieter.

It’s like DJI heard what I wish for. They announced back in August at the IFA trade show that it’s updating the Mavic Pro drone with a new version called the Platinum with 3 more minutes flight time vs 27 minutes and noise reduction, 60 percent quieter than its predecessor. 60 percent sounds impressive, however it’s only UP TO 4db reduction. DJI said the improvement can also apply to the older generation of Mavic Pro by simply getting the new design Props but don’t expect much improvement. Alright, it’s much quieter, noticeably, but not stealthy as I would hope for. Come ‘on, no matter what, people will notice, either noticeable or less.

Before letting you know my findings on flight time, it’s important to understand how it’s supposed to work. The new prop design should spin at a lower RPM to produce stronger lift, to drain battery at a slower pace. I see about 1 more minute more flight time when I did a hovering test which is the only test case I could think of as an easy to measure comparison. It’s more difficult to test in real flying conditions since it can vary by wind, air condensity, etc. 3 minutes is just the best case scenario and maybe it only applies to the new Mavic Pro Platinum not its predecessor, I guess. Hey, a little more flight time is always welcome. That’s how I see it!

So would you pick up a few to be more quiet and more flight time?

Unfortunately, the noise difference is only touted to be about 4dB. I saw a YouTuber who ran the test using a sound/dB meter. Indoors, at about 5 feet away from the Mavic, they got 72dB with the original props, and a fluctuating 68dB to 70dB with the new props. There's really no difference between those two sound values - with regard to being "much" quieter in the field. :(

Unfortunately, the noise difference is only touted to be about 4dB. I saw a YouTuber who ran the test using a sound/dB meter. Indoors, at about 5 feet away from the Mavic, they got 72dB with the original props, and a fluctuating 68dB to 70dB with the new props. There's really no difference between those two sound values - with regard to being "much" quieter in the field. :(
Sadly this is true, but I'm still switching to the quieter props once my current set is old. Similar price and i'm still hoping for more air time/ efficiency.

Given how much money people around here spend on accessories for this hobby, including expensive high-tech battery chargers, I can't believe the amount of hand-wringing people are doing over debating whether it's worth trying out a $20 set of props. Even if noise isn't significantly reduced, what do you have to lose?

Reactions: newguy
I agree Mr Salty and being this has been discussed to death I
am just going to shut this one down .

CLOSED

Reactions: Mr. Salty
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads