DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Air 3 speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

EpicFlight

Reactions
With the addition of 10-bit video on the Mini 3 (and Mastershots, and a bunch of other stuff that brings the Mini 3 very close to the A2S in features and performance) the reasons to buy an A2S are getting pretty scant.

Which says to me the A3S is very near. Let's start a serious discussion about what that drone may be.

It will have a 4/3" sensor with similar or better features and pixel to pixel comparable performance.

8k/60, 5.2k/120, 4k/240 video.

Extreme low-light performance.

360 OA sensors.

Mini 3 gimbal design.

60mph top speed in Sport mode, Active/Focus track capable in Sport without OA.

• Haha
Reactions: offtheback
I for one really hope DJI continues the Air models. I have an Mavic Air 2 since last spring and I think it's great. I have been thinking about upgrading but the A2S is already a year old and the M3 is just way too far of a reach. If a Air 3 was available this time next year that would be perfect for me. I just hope they don't see the Mini line taking over the Air line.

Reactions: 72evenant
If they add signifiant features to an Air 3 model, if one is indeed in the works, then the price will probably be higher than the Air 2s. Which will make it expensive, though not as expensive as the Mavic 3, and I am guessing it's unlikely they'll stop selling the Air 2s or alter its price much, at least initially.

If there was a wish list for features, camera improvements are always great, low light improvements. Perhaps a real zoom, not digital. Course how to do you add 4x or better zoom to the model below your flagship Mavic 3?

Not sure it needs to fly much faster.. Better sensors would always be welcome. However, Its probably 6 months or more away if I had to guess.. time will tell..

While it is fun to speculate about what "might be", I would also consider that maybe because of the increased capability of the Mini 3 and the high level features and performance of the Mavic 3, there really is no longer a sizable gap that needs to be filled in the line up. Not to mention the Air2s is still selling well and is at an in-between price point.

As a "Pro" (i.e., I make money with my drones) Having a Mini 3 Pro and Mavic 3 covers all the bases I need. If I were to expand my offerings beyond Photo and Video Production, I would look at an Enterprise Model like the Matrice M30.

That being said, I don't see a really compelling reason, at least today, for DJI to release anything in between. Obviously, this could change in the future as the technology progresses, but at this point I wouldn't hold my breath.

i dont really think that in the UK and EU at least ,there will be a Air 3 until it can be made with the C2 classification mark without that C label it would just be another legacy drone with all the restrictions that come with that title
the only reason that the new Mini 3 pro does not have a C classification, is because it does not require one at this moment in time,which for us in the UK means that flyers will be able to fly it as they do now, once the new drones heavier than 250g MTOM become available then a A2 C of C will be required to fly them

The in between gap has closed but they could always include some tricks that would change my mind. Like a Mini 3 but with a slightly bigger sensor and real, optical zoom or real waypoints or an accessory port to trigger other cameras or lights or whatever, etc.

Honestly, a great optical zoom on the mini 3 platform would get me to buy at a premium.

i dont really think that in the UK and EU at least ,there will be a Air 3 until it can be made with the C2 classification mark without that C label it would just be another legacy drone with all the restrictions that come with that title
the only reason that the new Mini 3 pro does not have a C classification, is because it does not require one at this moment in time,which for us in the UK means that flyers will be able to fly it as they do now, once the new drones heavier than 250g MTOM become available then a A2 C of C will be required to fly them
For sub 900 gram drones, including Mavic 3, C1 is the aimed classification in EASA countries.
C2 will be drones from 900 gram to 4kg... When ever specs for certifying process are finally ready.
(hopefully more in schedule than Olkiluoto 3)

And for sub 250 gram drones C classification wouldn't make a single bit of difference in EASA countries:
All sub 250 gram drones can be operated in A1 even after the end of transitory period, which is (currently) end of next year.
During transitory period sub 500 gram legacy drones can be flown in A1...
Which unfortunately makes Air 2/S comparable to Mavic and makes it A3 operating category drone.
Unless having A2 "license" which allows flying sub 2kg legacy drones in "densely populated areas/near people".
(took A2 exam today: 30/30 correct)

While DJI promised they're working for certifying Mavic 3, I can see them wanting to not release Air 2S successor untill it can be certified before launch.
Though while certainly facing pressure from Mini 3, Air 2S is still very competent drone.

It will have a 4/3" sensor with similar or better features and pixel to pixel comparable performance.

8k/60, 5.2k/120, 4k/240 video.

Extreme low-light performance.

360 OA sensors.

Mini 3 gimbal design.

60mph top speed in Sport mode, Active/Focus track capable in Sport without OA.
Put me down for one ☝️

If they add signifiant features to an Air 3 model, if one is indeed in the works, then the price will probably be higher than the Air 2s. Which will make it expensive, though not as expensive as the Mavic 3, and I am guessing it's unlikely they'll stop selling the Air 2s or alter its price much, at least initially.

If there was a wish list for features, camera improvements are always great, low light improvements. Perhaps a real zoom, not digital. Course how to do you add 4x or better zoom to the model below your flagship Mavic 3?

Not sure it needs to fly much faster.. Better sensors would always be welcome. However, Its probably 6 months or more away if I had to guess.. time will tell..
I'd like to see full 360 degree sensing to avoid crashes. Also, a better camera for lowlight photos and videos and a larger sensor as a result.

1660779134736.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliyindian