DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Air2/Mini 2 in NJ / PA

Pcode

Reactions
Can someone please suggest, designated / allotted areas, to fly small drones such as DJI mini 2 or DJI Air 2 in South NJ or PA?
any help would be appreciated.

Why do you need a designated or allotted area? Are you looking for suggested scenic areas, or are you worried about restrictions?

There are lots of open spaces, and as long as the airspace isn't restricted by the FAA you can fly in it (assuming you have at least a TRUST certificate). You just need to check to be sure there are no local restrictions on where you can be standing when you are flying your drone.

Hi PRD, Yes got the trust cert, drones are registered, was looking for recommendations for scenic and safe places to do a recreational flight.
I am a bit worried about restriction, need good open space. I am relatively new to this hobby.
Example: Airmap apps, says you can fly in a local park in south NJ, but when I googled "is it ok to fly a drone in parks in NJ" it says you can not fly!? so I was like that's odd, no people in the park, at this time of the year, that would be the safest place to fly, and practice. so I am just confused.

OK, that makes sense. Welcome aboard!

Airmap, B4UFLY, Aloft, etc. just tell you about airspace restrictions (and help you get clearance to operate in FAA designated controlled airspace when needed) . They don't tell you about any local restrictions. Parks often have additional rules, which apply to where you can be standing when you operate your drone (they can't regulate the airspace, although sometimes they try). I share your frustration about empty parks, but the non-pilots who write the local rules don't think through the subtleties and just write a blanked restriction.

I'm in MA, so don't know of specific areas near you. Other folks here might. Or you could try Academy of Model Aeronautics. In some places they have designated areas available for drones.

Can someone please suggest, designated / allotted areas, to fly small drones such as DJI mini 2 or DJI Air 2 in South NJ or PA?
any help would be appreciated.
There are plenty of South Jersey locations besides NJ State Parks and National Parks that are good for flying including many county/local parks. The state passed legislation that local municipalities cannot impose more stringent rules than the state has on the books. Basically, fly IAW FAA rules and you should be good. I would still suggest that you check with the local municipality to confirm so you will be prepared in the unlikely event that you get challenged by someone.

There are plenty of South Jersey locations besides NJ State Parks and National Parks that are good for flying including many county/local parks. The state passed legislation that local municipalities cannot impose more stringent rules than the state has on the books. Basically, fly IAW FAA rules and you should be good. I would still suggest that you check with the local municipality to confirm so you will be prepared in the unlikely event that you get challenged by someone.
any specific recommendation? in PA/NJ?

any specific recommendation? in PA/NJ?
Cooper River park at the ball field is outside PHL Class B as is along the Delaware River north of the BF bridge with good views of Philadelphia. Keep a sharp eye out for helicopters (hospitals & heliport at Penns Landing).

Reactions: Pcode
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett