DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Assistant: what is it and why do I need or want it?

halmc

Reactions
The title pretty much says it all. I have MA2 (two of 'em, actually) and they fly well, photo and video well. I own and use a smart controller.

While the app drops out with annoying frequency even when the drone is well within a 25 meter radius of where I'm standing, all else appears normal. (Incidentally, the dropping of the app also occurs with both MA2's, as well as when I use the dumb controller that comes with the drone)

Trying to figure out why I want or need DJI assistant -- I've not a clue as to what it does or is supposed to do. I use a PC, do not use a Mac.

Some Smart Controller updates cannot be done OTA and require DJI Assistant (for Mavic) in order to update the firmware. Normal firmware updates that can otherwise be done OTA can also be done using DJI Assistant but the only reason you *need* it is for major Smart Controller updates.

I recently had a gimbal jitter fault on my drone and was advised by dji tech support to do a firmware refresh through DJI assistant. I think some versions also have a basic simulator in there. Earlier versions such as 1.25 allow you to go into the firmware and do such things as turn on atti mode etc. although they pulled this out on later versions Note, DJI passed on the link to the app and told me how to turn on Atti mode so I guess its "legal" in terms of warranty etc. Later had a warranty job done on the drone for unrelated reasons (gimbal jitter) and there were no issues.

Useful if you want to practice atti mode in case you lose GPS Lock etc. or want true cinematography level control.

As previously said, Vision system calibration requires use of the assistant app.

Hardly ever use it, but its there.

Last edited:
Some Smart Controller updates cannot be done OTA and require DJI Assistant (for Mavic) in order to update the firmware. Normal firmware updates that can otherwise be done OTA can also be done using DJI Assistant but the only reason you *need* it is for major Smart Controller updates.
Sorry for my ignorance, but what does "OTA" stand for?

Sorry for my ignorance, but what does "OTA" stand for?
Because I run my Mac with current OS 12.3 which is currently unsupported by DJI Assistant, I do my updates over WiFi. After not using the equipment I tried to update over WiFi my Smart controller was unable to complete update after many tries and conversions with DJI Support, I mailed my Smart Controller in, for what I believed was to be updated. The Texas repair center informed me my Controller mother board was bad. Charged me $265.00 for a replacement. I am not sure that there was ever anything wrong with the Smart Controller in the first place. Due a back surgery, I had not used the equipment even once since it original purchase. Never flown once only registered, but the original warranty had expired. Still very confused by the whole evolution of events. Without support for Mac running OS 12.3. Hard to know what to do when future updates become available.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000