DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Avata vs iFlight Defender 25

dougga

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I have a mavic air 2s and am thinking of getting an FPV. I contacted a local drone pilot that flies FPV and others for a living. He told me to stay away from DJI.

When I look at reviews of each system I see pluses for both and am thinking he just doesn’t like DJI for some reason. Given this would be my first FPV drone, I am thinking the DJI is the way to go because there seems to a lot more to manage with the defender drone.

What are your thoughts?

If you have no practice flying manual FPV you will be happier with the Avata. It has normal and sport the way the camera drones do. The packages come with the motion controller so you will want to order the FPV controller separate. Enjoy GPS/FPV flight and at the same time work in a simulator to get the feel for manual flight. You could do that without the Avata, just get a remote, but if you want to get the feel for the flight style it’s a good first step. I flipped into manual before ever touching the simulator, shot off to two different neighbors yards before crashing in mine and using Care Refresh. Not everyone will have that experience but in manual it will do about 60 MPH and I was pretty close to that when I hit the sidewalk. It let me know I needed to take the time in the simulator and learn which I plan to do.

That said, you will run out of the need for the Avata once you do learn and are comfortable but with its GPS flight you might want to keep it around so you have options. The iFlight is prob a better whoop but maybe not at first.

Reactions: dougga
The Avata is very user friendly if you're looking for a FPV drone to cruise around with. You can open up it's potential with the FPV controller 2 while in manual mode but I would log some sim time before doing so. You could order a full manual FPV system but if you go that route for sure log hours of time in a sim until you are comfortable taking off and landing. It will save you frustration and your drone repairs. Learning and flying full manual is an awesome experience especially for doing deep dives.

The Avata is very user friendly if you're looking for a FPV drone to cruise around with. You can open up it's potential with the FPV controller 2 while in manual mode but I would log some sim time before doing so. You could order a full manual FPV system but if you go that route for sure log hours of time in a sim until you are comfortable taking off and landing. It will save you frustration and your drone repairs. Learning and flying full manual is an awesome experience especially for doing deep dives.
Thanks. I am in agreement with you all here. I am getting similar responses on YT reviews and especially the part about using the simulator. Thanks again.

Get the Avata. Even after you learn to fly manual, it may remain more than enough to satisfy you.

I have both an Avata and an iFlight a85 with the Vista VTX that works the goggles v2 from my DJI FPV. The Avata wasn't available yet. Learned to fly manual on the FPV and the a85.

I rarely fly the a85 any more. In fact I really don't. These things make the Avata so superior there's no contest:
  • GPS
  • VPS
  • RTH
  • Compass
  • relatively long flight time
  • very tough
  • brake
  • much superior camera, GoPro mostly unnecessary
  • Highly integrated system, just works
  • Great support (relatively)
  • Superior range
  • Motion Controller available

Get the Avata. Even after you learn to fly manual, it may remain more than enough to satisfy you.

I have both an Avata and an iFlight a85 with the Vista VTX that works the goggles v2 from my DJI FPV. The Avata wasn't available yet. Learned to fly manual on the FPV and the a85.

I rarely fly the a85 any more. In fact I really don't. These things make the Avata so superior there's no contest:
  • GPS
  • VPS
  • RTH
  • Compass
  • relatively long flight time
  • very tough
  • brake
  • much superior camera, GoPro mostly unnecessary
  • Highly integrated system, just works
  • Great support (relatively)
  • Superior range
  • Motion Controller available
Thanks. You verified all the things I like plus some I could not have known about.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser