DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI car charger setup

Asmodeus

Reactions
I was going to buy the official DJI car charger and link it with a 3rd party unit that can charge 3-4 batteries in parrallel. Anything I should watch out for or just charge 1 battery at a time using only the official DJI car charger?

I know this is old...but don't see an answer for you. I would doubt the ability of your DC plug in the car to be able to handle that much amperage to charge four batteries at a time. That is a big draw and could cause a fuse to blow, could be a problem in summer heat and might cause stress on the charger itself trying to pull that many amps from just a 12V battery in your car. Might even discharge it so you can't start it when ready to leave. Not sure, but worth evaluating. Note the amp draw on multiple batteries charging at once.

Reactions: Ping^Spike
I bought the fly more bundle and had no luck getting even one battery charged. Top LED flashes and that’s it. As I do have 240v in the car too, I didn’t bother investigating any further.

The car charger that came with my MP has never worked properly and since I too have 120 volts in the car, I've not really needed and also didn't investigate further.

When I plug it into any 12 volt cigarette lighter socket, the LED on the charging block is solid green for ten seconds and then flashes together with the bottom two charging LEDs on the battery for ten seconds. Then the battery LEDs go out and block's LED stays on for ten seconds and so on. it repeats this sequence ceaselessly and no charge in being applied to the battery.

As soon as I start my car and the engine's charging circuit is added to the mix, (i.e. a 14 volt drop across the cigarette lighter plug) the block light stays on and the battery LEDs sequence as normal and the the battery appears to be charging.

Do you think imine is defective or could it be by design?

Do you think imine is defective or could it be by design?

It's by "design", incredibly poor design. It seems all the car charger does, it applies car battery's voltage as is, and it's simply not high enough. It has no circuitry to raise the voltage. It's garbage. Do they expect us to idle the car for an hour per battery?!

Mine works. That's why they call me Mr. Lucky :).

what's the Max & min operating voltage? Could you use a 15v DC/DC converter? Or 15v with a diode to give 14.3v

Edit;
Specifications
Product Model: C3S80
Operating Temperature: 41° to 104° F (5° to 40° C)
Input Voltage: 12.7-16 V (Sedan); Coach not supported
DC Output: 13.05 V; 6.1 A
Charge Time*: 54 min

Reactions: Ping^Spike
I just use a DC-AC converter tied to an extra car battery and charge with the bench charger. It's fine, I guess, so long as you aren't using more than one vehicle.

I use a Chinese ebay job a dc to dc buck boost converter it has an input range of 3 to 55v altho not tested past 30 and through out the input range the output can be set at any voltage between 0 and 55 and current between 0 and 6A. It will charge the battery set to 13v quite happily in my car without the engine running and with. The genuine and copy dji chargers only have a simple dc to dc regulator that gives around 1v drop minimum so if your engine is not running and the battery is at about 12v the output is only 11v

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
I use a Chinese ebay job a dc to dc buck boost converter it has an input range of 3 to 55v altho not tested past 30 and through out the input range the output can be set at any voltage between 0 and 55 and current between 0 and 6A. It will charge the battery set to 13v quite happily in my car without the engine running and with. The genuine and copy dji chargers only have a simple dc to dc regulator that gives around 1v drop minimum so if your engine is not running and the battery is at about 12v the output is only 11v

Thanks! I'll look into getting one of those. Can you tell me the name of it?
Leaves me wondering why dji or anyone else would design a charger in that way. Seems both unnecessary and counter productive.

I am using one like this Numerical Control Buck Boost Converter Voltage Regulator DC 10-40V To 0-38V 6A | eBay as with all Chinese things take the ratings with a pinch of salt they all have different voltage ratings but most likely all the same. Down side is its a bare pcb. If you look on ebay there are much smaller ones without the display and just some simple 10 turn pots to set the voltage and curent limits. I use this for alot of other things just found it handy to charge the mavic battery. I can charge it the same speed as the wall charger 3.8A but it needs to have a small fan blowing across the heatsink. Can charge it at 6 A with the Dan too but see no need to do so what I do often do is charge it at 1 A it should help make the battery last longer ;)

Yep basicly engine running or battery for about 10 or so seconds after stopping it

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000