DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI change the weight of the Mavic 2 family batteries?

nafisgal

Reactions
Hello … I have searched, but the search engine tells me that there is no topic in this regard.
On January 1, 2021, the New European Regulation on Drones enters into force, new regulations of the European Community on Drones.
Implementing Regulation (EU) 2019/947 (EUR-Lex - 02019R0947-20200606 - EN - EUR-Lex).
Delegated Regulation (EU) 2019/945 (https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX:02019R0945-20200809)
According to this new regulation, the most important novelty introduced by Rgto. 2019/945 is the implementation of a new, much more precise classification of drones, according to their MTOM or maximum take-off mass.
This classification will serve to define the specifications that each model must include to guarantee safety of use.
C0: MTOM <250g.
C1: MTOM <900g.
C2: MTOM <4kg.
C3 - C6: MTOM <25kg (with more specifications)
Question:
Does DJI plan to modify the weight of the batteries in the Mavic 2 series … since according to this new regulation, the Mavic 2, and, only for 7 grams … Mavic 2 Pro - 907 gr. MTOM … would be framed within category C2 (more restrictive), instead of category C1 (least restrictive).
Or will it leave this segment / family (Mavic 2) unattended in favor of a future Mavic 3, which will surely contemplate these new changes …?
It wouldn’t hurt if DJI contemplated this possibility (batteries are consumable material …) A tiny change for enormous possibilities.

unfortunately its not just the weight limitations but also the fact that to be able to fly in the new C class the drone and RC has to have other modifications as well and also carry an official compliance mark to show it has met those criteria there are currently no C marked drones available

People just do the Cof2 licence. Covers up to 4kgs then. Not difficult and not expensive.
In Europe (if you are interested in the subject of regulations you can check the links to the new one that comes into force) it is a little different (flight scenarios and authorizations, etc)

unfortunately its not just the weight limitations but also the fact that to be able to fly in the new C class the drone and RC has to have other modifications as well and also carry an official compliance mark to show it has met those criteria there are currently no C marked drones available
Right ... Old Man Mavic ..
But the new regulations will have a margin of two years (until 2023) to coexist with the old one and facilitate the adaptation of these drones, that is, until 2023 you will be able to use your old drone in Europe ... Two years ... They still give for many flights and jobs ... and sale of "consumables" (batteries) ...

Reactions: old man mavic
@nafisgal ,thanks for pointing that out my friend ,i am well aware of the new drone regs that are coming very soon ,in fact one more day of this year to go, i have spent a lot of time digesting them ,and also i have passed my A2 C of C ,the drones we currently fly are to be called legacy drones ,and the transitional period runs till 31st December 2022

Reactions: nafisgal
@nafisgal ,thanks for pointing that out my friend ,i am well aware of the new drone regs that are coming very soon ,in fact one more day of this year to go, i have spent a lot of time digesting them ,and also i have passed my A2 C of C ,the drones we currently fly are to be called legacy drones ,and the transitional period runs till 31st December 2022

What happens to your drone then? NOT what happens to the rules, what happens to your drone?

@KingRat ,nothing happens to the drone it can then only be flown in the A3 category,after the transitional period is over ,which will mean a restricted flight distance ,and none of the advantages of the closer distances that ,the A2 C of C will afford

Reactions: nafisgal
@KingRat ,nothing happens to the drone it can then only be flown in the A3 category,after the transitional period is over ,which will mean a restricted flight distance ,and none of the advantages of the closer distances that ,the A2 C of C will afford
So it will still operate, albeit illegally? Or will it be 'restricted in operation' electronically?

So it will still operate, albeit illegally? Or will it be 'restricted in operation' electronically?
@KingRat it will not be illegal to fly the drone ,but only no closer than 150m to anyone ,and buildings so unless you can go somewhere that is remote and far from civilisation then it will not be much use

In my case I would have to provide my drone with remote identification ... Specific identifications (specific class stickers, etc ...) something that two years from now ... is not very feasible ... You would save money by buying a new drone ... Manufacturers are obliged to provide aircraft adapted to the new legislation from 2023 ... meanwhile we will be able to operate freely with our previously registered drones (in my case I am an operator and radiophonist authorized by the state aviation safety agency )

In my case I would have to provide my drone with remote identification ... Specific identifications (specific class stickers, etc ...) something that two years from now ... is not very feasible ... You would save money by buying a new drone ... Manufacturers are obliged to provide aircraft adapted to the new legislation from 2023 ... meanwhile we will be able to operate freely with our previously registered drones (in my case I am an operator and radiophonist authorized by the state aviation safety agency )

That doesn't answer the question though really, does it? A sticker isn't very expensive...paper and glue!

What If I didn't put a sticker on, would the drone be forcibly grounded, or would it still take off and fly?

What I am alluding to is a number of people like me who would be prepared to use their drone without the bloody sticker and autocratic / beaurocratic meddling in place because I don't intend to cause any interest with my flying... observers will only take interest if you cause mishcief.

More info at the European level.

List of European authorities and EASA member states:

If you are not European and want to fly in Europe (travel, work, etc ..)

Can I fly my old drone after January 1, 2023 in Europe.?:

More information:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oshgeo